Work Permit

I currently have a 1 year Thai Marriage Visa expiring in May 2009.

I have to get back to work and will be working for a Resort as one of their managers. Once I have the work permit, can

1) I keep my current visa until May 2009 and

2) then get another Thai Marriage Visa or

3) will I have to apply for a work visa rigth away when I get the Work Permit?

What is the deal?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Rainer

Are you on a multiple entry visa or a 1 year extension based upon marriage?

You can stay on your extension based upon marriage (it is not a visa) and get a work permit without a problem.

If you can meet the financial requirements you can get another extension.

Being married to a Thai should make your job search easier because the number of Thai emloyees is reduced to 2 and some of the finacial requirements are also cut in half. Also there is no minimum salary requirement if on a marriage extension,

Hi,

I am now on 1 year extension based on Non-B work visa in Bangkok, expiring on May 2009. I have just go married with my wife whom is a Thai nation last December. I would like to change my status of extension of stay in Thailand to be based on marriage. My understanding is that I need to apply for "Change Visa" from Non-B to Non Immigration O visa, then apply for the 1 year extension of stay, then finally apply for the multiply-entry visa which allows me to travel in/out Thailand anytime. Is my understanding correct? For "change visa" from Non-B to Non-O, can this be done in Bangkok? If not, how do I get this done?

I have been searching on the website to find correct information, but the immigration law just makes me very confused... :o

Any help is appreciated... :D

Msoetono, it's much simpler than you think. Because you arrived in Thailand with a non-B visa and then got your extension of stay for employment, you do not have to apply for a change of visa. When the time comes for your next application for extension, ie during the last 30days of your current permission to stay, you just apply for the new extension for the reason of living with your Thai wife. This reason is asked for towards the bottom of page 1 of the application form. Make sure to bring your wife along, as she will be interviewed by the immigration officer. You will be given a stamp stamp saying that your application is under consideration and asking you to report back to the office in 30 days, at which time you will get the annual extension. Then get the re-entry permit to keep your extension of stay alive when you travel abroad.

--

Maestro

Hi,

I am now on 1 year extension based on Non-B work visa in Bangkok, expiring on May 2009. I have just go married with my wife whom is a Thai nation last December. I would like to change my status of extension of stay in Thailand to be based on marriage. My understanding is that I need to apply for "Change Visa" from Non-B to Non Immigration O visa, then apply for the 1 year extension of stay, then finally apply for the multiply-entry visa which allows me to travel in/out Thailand anytime. Is my understanding correct? For "change visa" from Non-B to Non-O, can this be done in Bangkok? If not, how do I get this done?

I have been searching on the website to find correct information, but the immigration law just makes me very confused... :o

Any help is appreciated... :D

Maestro has given the info that it will be very easy to change to an extension based upon marriage.

To prove the 40,000 baht income you will need your tax receipts and work permit to show you earned your income legally.

After that marriage certificate (copy of both sides), copy of wifes ID and house book, photos of you and your wife in and around the house and a map to your house. And the normal copiies of your passport pages and TM6.

Hi Maestro, Ubonjoe,

Thanks a lot for both of your feedback, really helpful. I do have few more questions and hoping you guys can help me out further,

1. So, the extension of stay is not tied into the type of your original visa being Non-B or Non-O or...etc?

2. Can I apply for the extension of stay earlier than 30 days before the expiry of my current permission? My current one expires on May 19, I was thinking of doing it in March, will this be allowed?

3. When I apply the extension of stay as living with my wife, other than showing the tax receipts, do I also have to have 400,000 Baht in my account (which I don't have now... :o )??

4. Tax receipts, is this the document that my company gave me last month for tax refund purpose? I used the original copy, did not keep any photocopy. I guess I need to apply another one, or can I use my salary slip that I always get from my company?

5. I live in company rented town house, my wife stays here with me, too. Her housebook registration still shows her parents' house in Samut Prakan. Will this be a problem because we are not living in her parents' home...

5. Finally, what form is TM.6? I can't find it on the Immigration Bureau's "download form" area...

My company is going through some financial crisis at the moment and I am not optimistic about what would happen down the road, so I wanted to b able to get my extension of stay in Thailand with marriage reason instead of employment reason as I expect to have some window of time without job, but still be able to stay in Thailand until I secure my next work. I am doing all these visa thing all by myself as I don't want my company to sense of what I am planning to do. That's why I don't even know a lot of basic stuff...

Thanks a lot for the help, appreciate it.

1. correct

2. you can try, sometimes they will do it. Especialy if you have a good reeason. But normaly it is in the last 30 days.

3. it is or the income or the money in the bank, not both.

4. No, with the pay slips from your work you have to go to the tax office and they will give you the tax receipe

5. They will understand, just have the photo's of you and your wife in and around the house

6. The TM6 is your arrival card, which they gave you aboard the plane.

Hi Mario2008 and all,

Thanks a lot for helping me out. I have few more questions came up in my mind. I will be quiting my job soon, around April or May, my current extension of stay allows me to stay until 19,May,2009.

Assuming I am going to quit in April, and also planning to go to the immigration office on 20, April, 2009 to apply my extension of stay with reason of living with my wife. When will be the best time to have my work permit canceled?

i. After I put in the request for extension of stay

ii. After I receive the new extension of stay for another year (which I think will be issued around end of May??)

I understand the immigration gives you a 30 days extension first, then 1 year extension. I would like to make sure I will be allowed to stay in Thailand during these period of time.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Your extension of stay based on employment will expire the same day you lose your job. In your case I would just apply early for an extension of stay besed on your marriage, just before you lose your job. Just take a letter from your employer with you stating when your job will be terminated and you should have no problem.

On more bit of information, You do not have to turn in your work permit. It is your employers responsibility to report that you are no lobger working to the labour deparment.

Hi Ubonjoe,

My employer should give me a receipt after they turn in my work permit, is this right? I will need this receipt for my next employer to apply the new work permit, is my understanding correct? I heard there is a fine if it wasn't done properly...

On more bit of information, You do not have to turn in your work permit. It is your employers responsibility to report that you are no lobger working to the labour deparment.

Hi Ubonjoe,

My employer should give me a receipt after they turn in my work permit, is this right? I will need this receipt for my next employer to apply the new work permit, is my understanding correct? I heard there is a fine if it wasn't done properly...

Since March of last year there is no longer a requirement to turn in your work permit. You can keep it.

Your former employer has to notify the labour department. You don't have to do anything.

You do have to notify immigration that your job has finished to cancel your extension.

See this webpage for info about this and work permit: http://www.dejudomlaw.com/index.php?option...09&Itemid=9

Hi I know this is a debate re visa's, Iam in employment here and went to update my work permit at the local labour office they require a "contract", is this from my company to myself or am I barking up the wrong tree, does any body know the new criteria.

Regards

O M IN S 2008

Hi Maestro, Ubonjoe,

Thanks a lot for both of your feedback, really helpful. I do have few more questions and hoping you guys can help me out further,

Hi I know this is a debate re visa's, Iam in employment here and went to update my work permit at the local labour office they require a "contract", is this from my company to myself or am I barking up the wrong tree, does any body know the new criteria.

Regards

O M IN S 2008

It an employment contract between the company and you. It would show how much you are to be paid and other terms and conditions.

I think the labour department has a sample that can be used.

Many thanks for the information, we have the letter, and will do the contract after the decifering the Thai, my wife is assisting me as we speak.

Regards

O M IN S 2008

Regards

O M IN S 2008

It an employment contract between the company and you. It would show how much you are to be paid and other terms and conditions.

I think the labour department has a sample that can be used.