Udd Stages March Around Old Chiang Mai City

scotbeve

Yesterday, 8/02/2009, at 2:45 pm the UDD staged a peaceful anti-government protest march around old Chiang Mai city (the moat). There were approx. 10,000 people from various regions in the north with some farangs interspersed within the crowd. Various news bureaus were seen alongside the streets and on the city walls taking video of the march. And yet, here it is 24hrs. later, and no sign of any news on the airwaves (not unless, I missed it.)!! Was it banned such as the ever-increasing list of websites allegedly on the grounds of lese-majeste?

Why is a red-shirt rally in CM news?

That was my point... It WASN'T in the news. Is it akin to the other week when the reds had the rally at Sanam Luang and it was reported that there were only 20,000 protesters when, in fact, there was a much larger number? Is someone afraid to print more accurate info (or the truth)??

That was my point... It WASN'T in the news. Is it akin to the other week when the reds had the rally at Sanam Luang and it was reported that there were only 20,000 protesters when, in fact, there was a much larger number? Is someone afraid to print more accurate info (or the truth)??

I heard that there were only about 1000 people in CNX for your event ... is it possible you are grossly overestimating the numbers?

but frankly a few reds wandering around in Chiang Mai isn't news.

I heard that there were only about 1000 people in CNX for your event ... is it possible you are grossly overestimating the numbers?

but frankly a few reds wandering around in Chiang Mai isn't news.

jdinasia,

and you "heard" there were 1,000 marchers from.....?Once again, my main point being that there wasn't any news. And yes, there were more than 10,000. 2 1/2 to 3 km long x the width of the road = more than 10,000 people.

Edited by scotbeve

From a friend that was actually there .... (so obviously more reliable than some random guy on the internet claiming 10X that number :o

Ummm... so was my wife and myself and had had to stop walking due to foot problems. The crowd? They kept passing by for a long time. I live here as well. Are you sure he didn't hear that number being stated at about 2:30 pm yesterday in front of the hotel / on FM 92.5? Because that's what I heard friend....

Once again, not newsworthy?

From a friend that was actually there .... (so obviously more reliable than some random guy on the internet claiming 10X that number :o

Ummm... so was my wife and myself and had had to stop walking due to foot problems. The crowd? They kept passing by for a long time. I live here as well. Are you sure he didn't hear that number being stated at about 2:30 pm yesterday in front of the hotel / on FM 92.5? Because that's what I heard friend....

Once again, not newsworthy?

Correct ... not newsworthy (at least as anything for continuing news!) So you were the token white guy walking with the reds? But we should believe you over what we hear from people that just think Thai politics is a bother?

Guess you'll have to work a bit harder to get the red propaganda out there (even in CNX!)

Just curious how many of you have checked the Thai language papers to assert that its not being reported? Or is it merely because its not in the Bkk post of the Nation that you assume its not been reported?

Just curious how many of you have checked the Thai language papers to assert that its not being reported? Or is it merely because its not in the Bkk post of the Nation that you assume its not been reported?

Silly me! Forgot to mention that - I constantly assume that all readers / posters check the Thai media as well. I know for a FACT that it's not in todays Thai Rath. BTW - Channels 3, 5, 7, and 11 were there...

Good, glad it didn't get any coverage. Frankly I, like a huge amount of thai's, have simply had enough of it!

Folks, the underlying point of this is censorship. NO - it wasn't reported and YES - there arenow, how many websites shutdown for puported lese majeste. Any of you around when the daily English language rags had the front pages blanked out right after coups (several times BTW)? Ergo, the question must be asked, is Thailand going facist?

Good, glad it didn't get any coverage. Frankly I, like a huge amount of thai's, have simply had enough of it!

Folks, the underlying point of this is censorship. NO - it wasn't reported and YES - there arenow, how many websites shutdown for puported lese majeste. Any of you around when the daily English language rags had the front pages blanked out right after coups (several times BTW)? Ergo, the question must be asked, is Thailand going facist?

I was around when the front pages were blanked out. Then saw a real growth in a free press here (much of it under Democrat-led governments) and then saw all the improvements being rolled away under Thaksin, as he put the squeeze on the media when it dared question him.

I don't expect this government to make any headway in democratic development and there would be none under any red shirt/Thaksin-led government either.

Choosing not to run lead stories about a few red-shirts is NOT censorship. It is simply accepting the reality that it was a non-event.

Is Thailand going "fascist"? Well the free press was under assault constantly by Thaksin's lawsuit. The LM cases are to be expected when people don't think through what they write/say.

By the way --- not only do those reports (post 19) confirm the numbers that I was told, they also state it was Chiang Mai 51 group (as opposed to the UDD)

Hard to follow who is who in the reds since they are so fractured.

Old Unhappy Wherever He Goes Plonker...

Don't be mad at me that not only does the press report the same numbers my friend told me earlier .... but that your group name appears to be wrong as well!

I don't make the news and even in this case , report it!.

I am thinking that maybe that should become your signature though, scot!

To clear up this unnecessary kerfuffle, that 10,000 people was MY estimate. Thai news agencies don't always get it right, do they? If you want me to haggle I'll halve it for you so you're less aggressive. That (OUWGHP) was a post, not a signature - clearly you can see that, what?

To clear up this unnecessary kerfuffle, that 10,000 people was MY estimate. Thai news agencies don't always get it right, do they? If you want me to haggle I'll halve it for you so you're less aggressive. That (OUWGHP) was a post, not a signature - clearly you can see that, what?

Right ... the 10 THOUSAND people was your estimate (you couldn't be considered biased though since you were marching with them!) The figure 1/10th of your estimate was my friend's estimate. He's Thai and can't be bothered with anything related to Thai politics ... he has no horse in this race! (Unlike you and unlike me .... and apparently just like the Press that reported the exact same estimate my friend gave so many hours ago!)

and yes I was aware that was a post scot ---- but as a post it exists just like gravel's post, as a flame only. If it were your signature it would possibly be accurate and at least it wouldn't be a flame :o

Edited by jdinasia

I just want to put an angle on this. When i witnessed the uprising in Burma September/October '07, maybe 1000 monks filed past my home on the 3rd day. When i saw later footage, there was maybe tens of thousands. Guess it depends where you were, and where you was reporting from...

Just to clarify the issue slightly.

1. The Chiang Mai 51 group is the same as the UDD, it is not a splinter group. It is just the name of the UDD Chiang Mai group.

2. At about 3-4 pm there were approx 1000 people marching around Chiang moat (north side) but at that time whether it was one group I don't know, as at approx 6pm in the Chiang Mai Gate area there were multiple thousands stretching north. It seemed like multiple groups had come together; definitely much more than a thousand.

Police presence of one single policeman as far as I could see and there was also a red shirt on a horse, maybe he was doing crowd control.

Just to clarify the issue slightly.

1. The Chiang Mai 51 group is the same as the UDD, it is not a splinter group. It is just the name of the UDD Chiang Mai group.

2. At about 3-4 pm there were approx 1000 people marching around Chiang moat (north side) but at that time whether it was one group I don't know, as at approx 6pm in the Chiang Mai Gate area there were multiple thousands stretching north. It seemed like multiple groups had come together; definitely much more than a thousand.

Police presence of one single policeman as far as I could see and there was also a red shirt on a horse, maybe he was doing crowd control.

Thanks cm its nice to see a sensible NON AGRESSIVE post :o

Yesterday, 8/02/2009, at 2:45 pm the UDD staged a peaceful anti-government protest march around old Chiang Mai city (the moat). There were approx. 10,000 people from various regions in the north with some farangs interspersed within the crowd. Various news bureaus were seen alongside the streets and on the city walls taking video of the march. And yet, here it is 24hrs. later, and no sign of any news on the airwaves (not unless, I missed it.)!! Was it banned such as the ever-increasing list of websites allegedly on the grounds of lese-majeste?

It is because the protesters did not wear yellow.... :o