Free Tourist Visa Extension?

A friend (I'd like to say it was me) brought this to my attention, what do you lot think?:

Mr Jakrapob Penkair (government spokesman) said that in order to facilitate tourist arrivals, it was agreed that the Visa fee of 1,900 Baht each would be waived for tourists seeking to extend their stay in Thailand!

^ So free 30 day tourist Visa extensions?

Yes it's on the front page of the Bangkok Post today! Second to last paragraph of the main front page story, I'm surprised no one else noticed it?

I'm wondering if they mean on arrival (yes I know it's a not really a tourist Visa per se, but do they know that?) Visas (30 dayers as I'd assume this is what most of the tourists get?), rather than a 60 day tourist Visa?

I have no idea how long it will last (or even if it will even happen, I'm dubious of Thai news stories until I see them happen with my own eyes).

Edited by kenkannif

Be ever more vigilant as it's coming from the man I associate with the Robin Williams' movie, "Jacob The Liar".... his name is certainly close enough to fit and he has a habit of.... well, lying.

It'd be terrific if it's true, but so then would be the tooth fairy.

If it applies to 30 day permits the extension is only for 10 days.

It seems a bit pointless as I'd guess most 'proper' tourists are here for less than 30 days anyway!

Thanks for the heads up SJ!

Especially as Thai authorities and Politicians constantly made us aware of their idea that the definition of a genuine tourist includes the fact that he needs only 3 or so weeks to spend all the money Thailand needs .....

Sunny