Thai Girlfriend Find Good Paying Job Outside Of Thailand

I think you'll find that beginning FA's in most countries don't get any real money (very poor wages except for when in the air).

Your GF is likely in for some difficulties finding decent work outside of Thailand.

It sounds like there are a lot of disadvantages to being Thai from the responses I am getting. She (will have) a bachelor's degree and speaks English - which from the common person I encounter everyday in Bangkok, seems to be average or above average for this country. We just need to find/create the opportunities for her that will allow her to become more, learn more, and make more (money) than if she just worked at Tesco. ;-)

Zen:

Couple things: First, if your GF is graduating from an American University, she may be entitled to a one-year extension of her student visa during which she is permitted to work in the field of her degree. Several Thai friends of mine stayed after graduation under just such a provision. Not sure of the details, and it may depend on whether hers is an F visa or M visa and whether she'd need to line up work in advance, but it's probably worth investigating, at the very least. If she is at an American school, someone there who deals with foreign students would no doubt have more information.

As for the air hostess thing, while their salaries are good, the real money is made by stashing away their per diem for international flights (while eating MaMa noodles in their rooms), and smuggling in luxury goodies for resale to friends and businesses upon their return home. If your GF has friends who are international "airs," they can tell her all about it. Needless to say, this scheme doesn't work if you work only domestic flights.

The good news is that if your GF has spent time studying abroad, her TOEIC and interview scores will almost certainly put her in a good position to be hired by Thai, assuming that they're actually hiring in this economy and that she didn't spend her whole time in the states with other compatriots (which happens). While the air-hostess prep courses are good as far as they go, there simply is no substitute for immersion when it comes to language learning (as anyone who's flown on any of the domestic airlines can attest). While Thai hires no shortage of girls and boys with good connections and almost zero language skills, those who can actually speak English or another tongue have a huge advantage.

Just saw your above post in which you state she won't graduate from a US school, so you can forget that part of my above response.

Still, the part about immersion and language skills still applies, especially with you, her "walking dictionary" coaching her.

I would also echo the above post regarding her ability to come under either a tourist or another student visa. That is, if she got in before, stayed in-status, has money in the bank and a letter from an employer or other big shot saying she has something to come back to, she shouldn't have too much trouble. But there are never guarantees where Visas are concerned (unless, of course, she knows someone at the consular section).

Just saw your above post in which you state she won't graduate from a US school, so you can forget that part of my above response.

Still, the part about immersion and language skills still applies, especially with you, her "walking dictionary" coaching her.

I would also echo the above post regarding her ability to come under either a tourist or another student visa. That is, if she got in before, stayed in-status, has money in the bank and a letter from an employer or other big shot saying she has something to come back to, she shouldn't have too much trouble. But there are never guarantees where Visas are concerned (unless, of course, she knows someone at the consular section).

Yes, she is graduating from a Thai University in Bangkok. She was only in America for 3 months with a student status. Not sure what visa she had but she worked legally in America for 3 months and even has a U.S. social security card. The taxes from her paycheck the government took out - yeah, they sent that money back to her. Nice, huh.

Anyways, she will be graduating in two weeks from her Uni so can't go to the U.S. on a student visa unless she goes to college for her Master's degree in the States. However, seeing the cost of American tuition I don't believe her or her family will be paying it so she most likely won't be going.

Also, she does not have a job nor has ever had a job except for those 3 months in America. Aside for volunteer work, she has no other work experience whatsoever.

She does not have money in the bank, savings, or anything that would look good to get her a visa to the States or Europe at this time. She only gets an "allowance" every month from her parents but just enough to spend as a student for a month.

She doesn't have a flight attendant friends and wants to be based out of Bangkok and just fly in Asia or to the Emirates. I've told her to she needs to make friends with flight attendants but not sure if she has followed through with that or not.

We are talking about going to Australia for 12 months on a Work and Holiday visa but haven't looked into jobs for her. So I'm not sure what is going to happen or what she'll do. I don't believe she knows, either.

Peace,

ZenTraveler.

@jetjock - thanks. She's not looking at a U.S. airline or to be a F/A in or to the U.S.. She is not confident in her English speaking ability. ZenTraveler

Oh, well then in my personal opinion her landing a job overseas would be virtually impossible.

What uni did she go to if I may ask? I hope not Rajhabat - I think public uni. Or Kasem Bunit University or UTCC - especially those two got a very bad reputation with Thai employers and probably also foreign employers.

@jetjock - thanks. She's not looking at a U.S. airline or to be a F/A in or to the U.S.. She is not confident in her English speaking ability. ZenTraveler

Oh, well then in my personal opinion her landing a job overseas would be virtually impossible.

What uni did she go to if I may ask? I hope not Rajhabat - I think public uni. Or Kasem Bunit University or UTCC - especially those two got a very bad reputation with Thai employers and probably also foreign employers.

Mahidol Uni in Salaya. 20 minutes West of Central Pinklao or an hour West of Victory Monument. Her Bachelors of Arts degree is in English. She finishes next week.

the airlines will look at the toeic score. for example japan airlines will ask for 500 and emirates maybe 600, its just a guide but that is how they will judge your gf's english standard

many of the airlines have already started to appoint flight attendants for this year, for example last week oman air, week before korean air.this saturday is qatar at central sofitel ladprao, then you have japan air, jordanian air coming for their open days in bangkok

anyway goodluck to you and your girlfriend

the airlines will look at the toeic score. for example japan airlines will ask for 500 and emirates maybe 600, its just a guide but that is how they will judge your gf's english standard

many of the airlines have already started to appoint flight attendants for this year, for example last week oman air, week before korean air.this saturday is qatar at central sofitel ladprao, then you have japan air, jordanian air coming for their open days in bangkok

anyway goodluck to you and your girlfriend

@humbug,

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the airline industry. Are you saying they only have open applications once a year at which time they hire for the entire year? My g/f said she would have to sign a contract - some for 3 or 5 years, but some for only one year.

She is getting her outfit tomorrow at a tailor to apply at the airlines. Is now her only opportunity for the year to apply to be a flight attendant or can she apply at any time? She is taking a weekend FA course so I would think they would of told her these things and she would of mentioned them to me. Likewise, with the salaries. She said her instructor told her she could earn up to 100,000 baht/year for Emirates.

EDIT: of, I forgot, part of her weekend FA course is a TOEIC course. She was suppose to take the TOEIC test last week to see how she is doing and what she needs to improve on as part of her course. She had to cancel because of some graduation thing at her Uni. So I'm not sure what she scores at right now but I keep telling her to take it as soon as possible so she knows where she is right now. Her course will help them improve their score.

I'm just trying to get correct information so I can be prepared to help her and figure out what is best for us, or plan b, in the future. Thanks for your information.

Zen.

Edited by ZenTraveler

I hope that 100k per yr with Emirates is wrong....thats 8.5k per month!!!

Also you say her BA is in English - you mean it is a major in English (why does she need to study to get a decent TOEIC score) or that it is BA with a major that was taught in English? Actually either way you would expect her English should be pretty reasonable if she passed either. (but then TIT....... I've met Thai Masters of English who could barely string a sentence together, and I've studied with Thai MBAs in Australia who've passed the entry requirements with VERY limited language abilities!!!)

Edited by Sporting Dog

I hope that 100k per yr with Emirates is wrong....thats 8.5k per month!!!

Also you say her BA is in English - you mean it is a major in English (why does she need to study to get a decent TOEIC score) or that it is BA with a major that was taught in English? Actually either way you would expect her English should be pretty reasonable if she passed either. (but then TIT....... I've met Thai Masters of English who could barely string a sentence together, and I've studied with Thai MBAs in Australia who've passed the entry requirements with VERY limited language abilities!!!)

Oops, my bad. I couldn't edit the post. It was suppose to be 100,000 baht per MONTH.

Each person learns differently. From the forum I've seen people post that Thais have a wide range of English ability after studying at a University.

I just double checked - her Major is English.

I'm an American that just moved to Bangkok a few weeks ago. My Thai girlfriend is graduating with her Bachelors of Arts in English next month. She is taking Flight Attendant courses on the weekends and wants to be a flight attendant because she likes helping others and it's a high paying job. She wants to pay money back to her parents. A traditional thing I've come to learn in Thai culture.

However, with a bachelor's degree and speaking Thai and English if she is unable to acquire a flight attendant job, she wants to move to another country where the exchange rate is more favorable for sending money to her family here in Thailand. I agree and we will move together.

For the time being we are interested in Australia, Germany, Switzerland, and possibly Singapore, Japan, or the U.S. for places where we can move and she can get a job to pay back her family and save up money. We want to travel and possibly move to Zurich, Switzerland in the future.

I know the U.S. would only be an option if we were married. We are looking at marriage for a year or two away.

Any suggestions for my girlfriend? From some quick research, it appears a Thai Passport doesn't get you far in this world and you need a lot of paperwork just to 'visit' another country! I'm excited to bring her to America and get her an American passport. She worked in the U.S. for a few months legally and has a U.S. social security card. This was as a student so it was easy for her to go to the States. She finishes her bachelors in a few weeks and loses her student status.

Peace,

Zen

I've got a business bachelor's degree from a very reputable university in the USA and over 30 straight years of diversified work experience, including over 20 with my last employer, and can't find a good paying job. It's a sign of the times.

Regards

(Willing to look like ghost for good pay)

Edited by Martian

Hello Zen Traveller

I hope you dont mind me making some points and posing some questions. I dont intend to be nasty but some things dont ring quite right to me .

Why is she so keen to leave Thailand, that's unusual, more usual is for lady to leave because she is going back to the foreign bf/husbands home country. And why why is her plan to go anywhere rather than to have something definite worked out.

How old is she? A lot of girls out of uni are very immature for their age, more so than the girls who have already done half their lifetime working.

If they are middle class why does she want to pay them back financially so quickly.

Why dont they want her to do well for herself and for them by finding a nice wealthy Chinese Thai husband instead of a foreigner

Why did her mother retire as a teacher so young, and why does her father want to retire early as well? They wont get much of a pension, Unless of course you are to be that.

Does she speak English fluently with you?

Do you realise that most Thais dont tell the truth, or neglect to give the full story, even to each other, never mind to foreigners. So why does she misinform you about salaries.?

Do you feel confident that you will hold her if she gets to be a F A, its a life full of temptation. My friend lost his gf of 5 years within a few months of her getting a job with one of the Middle Eastern airlines.

Take care of your own situation and look for confirmation of all information given to you. Many guys have come to Thailand and lost out.

Sorry to be a boring old fart.

I'm an American that just moved to Bangkok a few weeks ago. My Thai girlfriend is graduating with her Bachelors of Arts in English next month. She is taking Flight Attendant courses on the weekends and wants to be a flight attendant because she likes helping others and it's a high paying job. She wants to pay money back to her parents. A traditional thing I've come to learn in Thai culture.

However, with a bachelor's degree and speaking Thai and English if she is unable to acquire a flight attendant job, she wants to move to another country where the exchange rate is more favorable for sending money to her family here in Thailand. I agree and we will move together.

For the time being we are interested in Australia, Germany, Switzerland, and possibly Singapore, Japan, or the U.S. for places where we can move and she can get a job to pay back her family and save up money. We want to travel and possibly move to Zurich, Switzerland in the future.

I know the U.S. would only be an option if we were married. We are looking at marriage for a year or two away.

Any suggestions for my girlfriend? From some quick research, it appears a Thai Passport doesn't get you far in this world and you need a lot of paperwork just to 'visit' another country! I'm excited to bring her to America and get her an American passport. She worked in the U.S. for a few months legally and has a U.S. social security card. This was as a student so it was easy for her to go to the States. She finishes her bachelors in a few weeks and loses her student status.

Peace,

Zen

I've got a business bachelor's degree from a very reputable university in the USA and over 30 straight years of diversified work experience, including over 20 with my last employer, and can't find a good paying job. It's a sign of the times.

Regards

(Willing to look like ghost for good pay)

The times ARE changing - but shift your perspective on 'how' they are changing. More people are now being given the push (opportunity) to freelance or open up their own shop instead of working for someone else to make them rich - instead of having a J.O.B. (Just Above Broke).

i.e. if you have so much experience than you may be able to freelance online or for other businesses and do a start up. ;-)

Zen.

Hello Zen Traveller

I hope you dont mind me making some points and posing some questions. I dont intend to be nasty but some things dont ring quite right to me .

Why is she so keen to leave Thailand, that's unusual, more usual is for lady to leave because she is going back to the foreign bf/husbands home country. And why why is her plan to go anywhere rather than to have something definite worked out.

How old is she? A lot of girls out of uni are very immature for their age, more so than the girls who have already done half their lifetime working.

If they are middle class why does she want to pay them back financially so quickly.

Why dont they want her to do well for herself and for them by finding a nice wealthy Chinese Thai husband instead of a foreigner

Why did her mother retire as a teacher so young, and why does her father want to retire early as well? They wont get much of a pension, Unless of course you are to be that.

Does she speak English fluently with you?

Do you realise that most Thais dont tell the truth, or neglect to give the full story, even to each other, never mind to foreigners. So why does she misinform you about salaries.?

Do you feel confident that you will hold her if she gets to be a F A, its a life full of temptation. My friend lost his gf of 5 years within a few months of her getting a job with one of the Middle Eastern airlines.

Take care of your own situation and look for confirmation of all information given to you. Many guys have come to Thailand and lost out.

Sorry to be a boring old fart.

A lot of your questions are personal or I don't have the answer too (because you're asking about her family).

She wants to explore the world. She has already been to the U.S., Zurich, and Germany. She likes helping others and volunteering but needs money to travel and live. She wants to pay back her family as being responsible (Thai tradition?). She likes to live with more freedom than Thai society tells Thais they should have. If she becomes a FA and things don't work out - than they don't work out. I can only live one breath at a time and not need to worry about what "might" happen tomorrow. I need to live today. I originally came to Thailand to begin traveling around the world and to take time to make money online. Our friendship become more as I knew her before I arrived here. She speaks English with me at a fluent level... but I believe the term ''fluency'' is a very fluid term with regards to English and Thai people. She is 22 years old but compared to her friends she seems to be more mature than others of her own age with more experience, passion, goals, and spirit than others. When she says, "I want to move out of Thailand. I want to travel." etc. all her Thai friends are confused and say, "why!?". She wants to live her life as a world citizen, not just being Thai here in Thai society. We want to learn other languages together, which I believe will strengthen our own communication.

Peace,

Zen.