Need Some Help On Bangkok Please

mike25

Hi all, I am coming to Thailand on Monday and want to stay in Bangkok for a few nights before flying on to England. I have not been to Bangkok for a couple of years now and before I used to always stay at the Nana hotel. Please could anybody give me a few tips on the best hotel to stay in area around the Nana BTS as that is the only place I would recognise in Bangkok andwhich bars are best in that area. Also, what is the going rate for a taxi from the new airport to the Nana area, I have been to pattaya from the new airport and paid about 1800 baht last time. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mike25

Hi all, I am coming to Thailand on Monday and want to stay in Bangkok for a few nights before flying on to England. I have not been to Bangkok for a couple of years now and before I used to always stay at the Nana hotel. Please could anybody give me a few tips on the best hotel to stay in area around the Nana BTS as that is the only place I would recognise in Bangkok andwhich bars are best in that area. Also, what is the going rate for a taxi from the new airport to the Nana area, I have been to pattaya from the new airport and paid about 1800 baht last time. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Mike

Unlike Pat, I will try to offer you some useful advise :o

Woraburi Hotel, farther down Soi 4. Majestic Grande on Soi 2 is nice as well, short walk to BTS as well.

Taxi from airport - between 250-300 Baht + tolls

For bars, you need to be a bit more specific, pubs or gogo?

I'd pay about 400baht for a normal taxi from the airport, including tip and tollway.

Stay at a serviced apartment in lower Sukhumvit, e.g. Grand President on Suk 11 or Centrepoint on Suk 10, for less than 2000/night (if more then you are overpaying)

Bars, no idea, but Country Road over FoodLand on Soi 5 is ok (it used to be on Soi 19, opposite the Westin), Soi 5 also has Gullivers if you really want to feel like you are in the US instead of BKK (?!? seems many farang do)

Cheers guys, it was the bars I would be more interested in James. I remember there being a place called the beergarden

which was on the opposite side of sukhumvit to the soi the Nana hotel is on. Had a snooker/pool place on the corner

which was like an western bar. Wondered if it was still there?

Cheers guys, it was the bars I would be more interested in James. I remember there being a place called the beergarden

which was on the opposite side of sukhumvit to the soi the Nana hotel is on. Had a snooker/pool place on the corner

I believe its still there, actually on Soi 3 on the left - Bamboo something or other. Failing that, on Soi 5 we have Gullivers (big pub, pool tables) on soi 7 there is a bar Beergarden on the left. Soi 7/1 has various hostess bars and pubs. Soi 11 has more upscale places and nightclubs.

Woraburi Hotel, farther down Soi 4. Majestic Grande on Soi 2 is nice as well, short walk to BTS as well.

do you know that this was just named one of Asia's Top Ten Dirtiest Hotels (click on Asia Pacific) by Trip Advisor?

just sayin'...

regardless of Trip Advisor, I think if you did a poll on those who have stayed at Nana Hotel.....

Actually, the large bar above/upstairs from Foodland on Soi 5 has one very nice pool table in the far back, and a few lesser ones, along with a great open windows view of the street below. And a few reasonably attractive ladies who'll be more than happy to wipe up the table with you...for a price. Or do something else, depending on your inclinations. :o

Majestic Suites, the little sister hotel of Majestic Grande, is located on Suk Road just around the corner from Nana Plaza heading toward Soi 6. Very nice rooms, good staff, lower price that the Grande, included one plate breakfast and pool privileges at the Grande. A better alternative for someone who might otherwise be wanting to stay at the Nana Hotel nearby. They also have their own web site for booking, but can easily be booked thru various of the BKK Hotel booking web sites.

do you know that this was just named one of Asia's Top Ten Dirtiest Hotels (click on Asia Pacific) by Trip Advisor?

just sayin'...

now i want to stay in the 'first hotel' out of curiosity

friends of mine stayed in the woraburi without looking for advice from me in advance and they had no major complaints

I think you might mean New Wave on Soi 7 not exactly on the corner about 40 metres up on the opposite side to the Beer Garden and yes it's still open if that's the one. Good place

I wouldn't stay at the Woraburi on the grounds that it's owned by the same people as the Pattaya shithole called Siam Sawasdee in soi Buakhow.

These days I reckon Cowboy is better than Nana anyway. For similar money, I would stay at City Lodge on soi 9 which is literally spitting distance from Nana bts (I resisted however). That way your a short walk from both. The City Lodge on soi 19 is next to a massive building site, so I would avoid.

Incidentally, there's an Ibis hotel opening on soi 4 next month and has cheap opening deals. Just thought of that... I should imagine they are fairly relaxed about friends visiting.

Regards

Mike

Check Thaivisa travel services at top of page do search for hotels

I think you might mean New Wave on Soi 7 not exactly on the corner about 40 metres up on the opposite side to the Beer Garden and yes it's still open if that's the one. Good place

Yes these are the right names and places that bangkokboro has mentioned and they are both still open.

You could always try Dynasty Inn on soi 4 virtually across the road from Nana Hotel. About 1500 a night, walking distance to sky train and soi 7 for both the free lancer bars you want.

Hope this helps.

John.....

I believe its still there, actually on Soi 3 on the left - Bamboo something or other. Failing that, on Soi 5 we have Gullivers (big pub, pool tables) on soi 7 there is a bar Beergarden on the left. Soi 7/1 has various hostess bars and pubs. Soi 11 has more upscale places and nightclubs.

I'm rather down on the Bamboo Bar after my trip in January. One time they brought me a beer bottle that looked like it had seen "prior use" and been refilled. A few nights later, I was in there enjoying a shawarma from the guy on the front of the building, and a rat wandered across the floor.

Hardly anyone was in there any of the times I went in.

Hi Mike25, although I am new to this forum I have been staying in Bangkok for the past few months due to work commitments.

First I would have to agree with others on here regarding insurance, that is the one thing I would say always come to Thailand with, regarding the bars what are you looking for go-go's, beer bar, cheap charlie bars? Bangkok has it all you just need to know where to look and if you are traveling alone I would be happy to meet up and show you a few bars, I tend to go for the cheap charlie bars early and then move on to the go-go's later on.

Finally regarding the hotels, my friends came over last month from the UK to visit me and I booked them into a hotel just around the corner from Nana as they wanted to be where the action was, it's a small new hotel that is great value at only 580 baht per night, the rooms had air con, mini bar, cable tv, en-suite with the rooms cleaned every day, guest friendly, it also offers a airport pickup and drop off service for 200 baht. If you are interested in more info on the hotel please send me a message or leave a reply on the board and I will forward you the info on, I will just have to shoot down there and get their info as I have lost the business card or I could contact my friends back home for the details.

Hope this is of some help and if you are not interested in the above no problems have a great time in Bangkok.

Regards

Buzz

Yes these are the right names and places that bangkokboro has mentioned and they are both still open.

You could always try Dynasty Inn on soi 4 virtually across the road from Nana Hotel. About 1500 a night, walking distance to sky train and soi 7 for both the free lancer bars you want.

Hope this helps.

John.....

Come one John he only wants a game of pool he never mentioned ladies. :D

I see you spotted that bit. You Boro boys have eyes like sh*t house rats. :D

Strange how he wants to go to Beergarden and New Wave. To play pool, right. :o

John.....

Hope this helps.

John.....

John.....

Perhaps he goes there for the conversation and pool :D

Hope this helps.

John.....

John.....

Perhaps he goes there for the conversation and pool :D

Correct and why not, I do. :D

John.....

With James and John what chance do i have with the ladies both sweet mouth winkers :D

Ahh, but I can play pool as well. I won't be back in bangers until June. If you see/hear a youngish Geordie playing pool in New Wave you'll know who it is. :o

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

With James and John what chance do i have with the ladies both sweet mouth winkers :D

Ahh, but I can play pool as well. I won't be back in bangers until June. If you see/hear a youngish Geordie playing pool in New Wave you'll know who it is. :o

John.....

is your last name higgins? gonna pee on a plant or two? sorry, he's scottish, not a bar code. :D

• 11 months later...

just sayin'...

now i want to stay in the 'first hotel' out of curiosity

friends of mine stayed in the woraburi without looking for advice from me in advance and they had no major complaints

We've stayed at the First Hotel on numerous occasions and have never experienced the problems described. That said we always book the deluxe rooms in the Tower wing. 1700 bt as opposed to the 1200 bt for Standard rooms in the older Main Wing. Plan on booking into it again in May

Mark Solie