Import Duty

JSCM2012

Hi,

Just a quick question, I'm sending a canvas print photograph from the UK to Chiang Mai tomorrow using DHL. Can anyone advise what tax will have to be paid when it arrives?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

My guess, from experience, is that you won't have to pay a formal tax for a photograph, but you will be charged something like 800 baht by DHL...

I had a package, the size of a book, shipped here last year from the US via UPS.

Customs duty was 2,000 baht. No tax. Value of the order, which was on the tag was $150.00

Don't know of taxes, but have heard that when using a courier service ( UPS, DHL ) you might expect customs ( Thai ) to charge.

The whole customs thing is a crazy racket without consistency. Best thing for me is to always have a network of friends and friends of friends who are willing to carry something small and reasonable either here for me, or back there for friends n family. I try to always keep an ear out for when friends have friends visiting from the US, esp CA. I am happy to do same for those who do for me.

That said, I've had boxes shipped via US post to me with no trouble and no import duty up to just under 2 kg. Also received a Fed Ex or two over the years with no duties added, though this was just a kilo of mail or so.

And so is it necessary to declare a value?? What is the best way of doing this??

Only if you want to do it legally. Declare the value on the form you were provided.

Personally, I would declare it has a value less than $25, which means (hopefully still)

You won't be charged anything except the DHL fee.

Its a canvas print of a photograph 50cm * 30cm * 5cm, I dont think it will go through as documents. I'm going to have to declare a value £50, just not sure what taxes will have to be paid on arrival.

Feel free to follow your own advice :o

Hi,

Just a quick question, I'm sending a canvas print photograph from the UK to Chiang Mai tomorrow using DHL. Can anyone advise what tax will have to be paid when it arrives?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

It's probably too late now as you've most likely posted the item. However for future reference, the post office offer a 'document registered post' service for items under 2 Kilos and as long as the parcel could contain books or paperstuff any package of any shape will go through.

My experience with customs is write on the form a low value and in the very unlikely event a package of obvious low value is assessed, then they will go with the price indicated on the package.

Bojo