Wireless Router

chingy_

just bought a SMC2804WBRP-G wireless router with print server, need help with networking for my small office, 1computer and 2laptop, my comp is use for server,

hook up: adsl modem lan to wireless router, wireless router lan to my com, 1pc and 2 lap can hook up to internet, i need to know how to network, actually if anybody living around can pick internet, i havent secure it yet :o , any help is appreciate.

ok after reading Darknight's IT questions Blog, im getting closer to understand what im doing, my SMC wireless router admin is almost the same as you mention.

Next on the list was enabling my router to allow our notebooks to use the network. The first step was to access the router and configure it. On my desktop computer, I typed in a specified URL. (See Image.) I was prompted for a password and entered the default "admin." I later went back and changed that to a real password so that my neighbor or passers by couldn’t log onto my network.

Security is extremely important to me, so once I was connected to the router, I clicked on the Wireless Security tab under "Wireless." I chose to set up 128-bit encryption. This is very easy and I highly recommend it. All you need to do is give each of the computers or wireless components the same 26-character hexadecimal code. Make sure you create a code with only characters from A-F and 0-9.

i assume i just log on as admin and go straight to Wireless and skip the rest of the junk like you mention, select 128-bit encryption, give a 26 or less character hexadecimal code, at the moment im working on my desktop, but i should apply same setting to both laptop.

what if i want to give a different hexadecimal code to each laptop, so i know which is which.

what if i want to give a different  hexadecimal code to each laptop, so i know which is which.

Multiple keys on one network is possible, but do your really need it.

The key is for encrypting the data, so once it is encrypted that is it.

Have you read

this thread where I went through the setup on my network?