Burmese Workers Suspected Of Raping And Murdering Thai University Student In Chiang Mai

sriracha john

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they know it was a Burmese how? Would be so easy to blame them.

MMMMmmmmm.... did he break a light bulb on the way out????? That could help with the inquiry... :o

Guys, I read your responses, and am not sure from where you are coming. I wish to say I have only been to/in the land of my birth a total of 3 months in 4, maybe 5 years. So, I do not know the full story of "LIVING" there, but I do wish that the Americans would be as capable of uniting about Barry Sotero, Mexicans, and a host of other abuses occuring hourly in the usa.

Rather than regress into "what do you mean, what are you implying", please allow me to merely cf. www.americanpatrol.com and http://m3report.wordpress.com/.

I applaud the Thais, and that is why I live here!

Edited by cecco

Hmmmm....... a sad sad story indeed..... and a young kid who will never ever have a MOM again.

but I guess the Burmese will experience even more unfair treatment than before here now...... would there be such an outcry , if the murderer would have been a THAI (as usually the case) ?

and when that gay Farang Music teacher was slaughtered by young SHAN men in CM just a few days ago, there was no such protest from the Thai citizens.....

it is speculation that they were burmese. i know a maejo student and their reaction in a planned sitin on this crime was focused on the need for a better police investigation. the sit in has not been reported and i am saying no more

on the second point: if you attended the four days of the music teacher funeral you would realise that about 20 farang attended and 130 thai on the last day, about 5 farang and 20 thai on the first 3 days. yes, thais don't protest but equally please do not assume that they all readily blame the shan, the burmese or any other non-thai race. that is just not the case. i do not of course speak for the media

The funeral was well attended by all I think. I went to three days. I was very surprised to see many Thai people but was very pleased that they had come. You cant comparre a falang gay man who;s just been here 1 year and a Thai girl with her network of family and friends at univeristy. It's unfair to try.

Hi.

Sure must have been Burmese... Thais don't do such horrible things, right?

dam_n, the media here is becoming more and more like the German ones.... only reporting crimes if there' a chance they were committed by a foreigner.

What a shame.

Thanh

Sad story all around, for the victim and the would-be aggressor, although one cannot judge anything before things are investigated fully.

I wonder why this story surfaces the way it does at a time of an economic downturn? I think there is a connection or at the very least an opportunity for a certain elite or for a certain primal response to lousy days ahead.

I think Burmese have been used by the political and economic elite (of China, India, and Thailand) now for many centuries, the hate and stereotype are being inculcated in history courses to Thais to allow hate, stereotypes, and abuse to continue and benefit many. This story reinforces the hate and the stereotype. Capitalism and manipulation at its best!

My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased.

I would hope the police do a thorough investigation, however, since the Rohingyas have caused them to lose face, they will be out to make sure that the world knows that the Burmese are truly BAD people.

hey i'm burmese over here.

btw,it doesn't mean all burmese are bad ....

:o:D:D:D

most of the ppl who r not educated are bad

whatever burmese , or thai

is there any good president in the world???

everybody is bad .. u and me too...

watch ur language

Since when does education have anything to do with being a decent person? Some of the most incredible ass_holes I've ever met have been highly educated.

Thai security is the pits. Time and time again security guards take a passive role. When the piano teacher was murdered the guard just watched the two men drive off presumably through his check point and without asking any questions.

In my apartment, once when I left the door open of my vacant unit, they reported it on a daily sheet but did not inform me at all, or try to close the door. It was another tenant who came to tell me four days later.

Surely, a girls dorm is one place which should have CCTV's and security. I bet it did have security guards. But in Thailand like many things, its just about presentation. Everyone watches the guards saluting and shouting some kind of allegiance at change of shift and then they just spend their time observing, or sleeping.

It's time security companies were liable to be sued for these kind of things rather than being totally left out of the picture when it comes to blame.

Edited by Junglejumbo

My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased.

I would hope the police do a thorough investigation, however, since the Rohingyas have caused them to lose face, they will be out to make sure that the world knows that the Burmese are truly BAD people.

hey i'm burmese over here.

btw,it doesn't mean all burmese are bad ....

:o:D:D:D

most of the ppl who r not educated are bad

whatever burmese , or thai

is there any good president in the world???

everybody is bad .. u and me too...

watch ur language

You appear to have misunderstood what Scott has written. He is not suggesting that Burmese people are bad. He is suggesting that people in certain quarters may have an interest in making them look bad.

Surely, a girls dorm is one place which should have CCTV's and security. I bet it did have security guards. But in Thailand like many things, its just about presentation. Everyone watches the guards saluting and shouting some kind of allegiance at change of shift and then they just spend their time observing, or sleeping.

If it was some university campus dorm I'd agree, but I understand this was a standard peanuts a month thai rooming house, of the type that young peope of both sexes wander in an out at all hours of the day and night, especially on a weekend, and many of whom are likely to be illegals with no ID. And, its another case where it doesn't suit the press to tell the full story.

When that British music teacher was murdered last month, they said it was Hill People, when it was quite obviously his Thai friends who were boys.

That WAS the big news story, now I cannot even find any updates on charges or arrests.

Same as the young Brit that was bonked on the head and robbed on his first few hours in Phuket. The police report said he fell off a balcony.

Cannot 'find' any updates on that one either.

Did the off duty Thai copper who shot the Canadian ever get convicted?

I don't think you are saying, and I don't mean that it was NOT Burmese.

Just giving examples of why one might question if they are the latest scapegoats.

-------

Thailand seems to be getting more dangerous. If it keeps up, it will be just as unsafe as travelling to America!

When that British music teacher was murdered last month, they said it was Hill People, when it was quite obviously his Thai friends who were boys.

That WAS the big news story, now I cannot even find any updates on charges or arrests.

-------

Thailand seems to be getting more dangerous. If it keeps up, it will be just as unsafe as travelling to America!

You may want to rethink that?

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/01/30/...itish-composer/

At a press conference in Chiang Mai today 22-yr-old Awe Ye Piang, a member of the Akha hill tribe whose villages straddle the Burma, Thai, and Lao borders, was paraded before photographers.

Police said he had confessed to carrying out the murders with two members of the Shan hill tribe, nicknamed Jack and John. All three worked at a gay bar in Chiang Mai’s night market and had frequently been taken from the bar by Mr. Crisp, a popular and well respected member of the expatriate community in Chiang Mai, and former head of music at Lasswade Secondary School, Bonnyrigg.

-------

At a press conference in Chiang Mai today 22-yr-old Awe Ye Piang, a member of the Akha hill tribe whose villages straddle the Burma, Thai, and Lao borders, was paraded before photographers.

Police said he had confessed to carrying out the murders with two members of the Shan hill tribe, nicknamed Jack and John. All three worked at a gay bar in Chiang Mai's night market and had frequently been taken from the bar by Mr. Crisp, a popular and well respected member of the expatriate community in Chiang Mai, and former head of music at Lasswade Secondary School, Bonnyrigg.

Actually, thanks for the update, do you have any information of the young Brit who was murdered in Phuket?

As it pertains to this thread, the original police statement that it was Shan was wrong, and the light bulb thing was idiotic. They were not Thais, but they did do a raid from the mountains as depicted They were part of the Thai economy which cannot be mentioned in the Forum.

It is very sad that the young lady was murdered, but it is, also, sad that a whole bunch of Burmese that HAD NOTHING to do with it are now being herded about!

If the perp was Burmese, what did these other folks have to do with it?nothing!

From the pictures of the crime scene, above, there will be enough DNA evidence to determine guilt or innocence. As others have stated.

[an American rapist recently passed away in prison. a few weeks later DNA proved he never did it]

Thai security is the pits. Time and time again security guards take a passive role. When the piano teacher was murdered the guard just watched the two men drive off presumably through his check point and without asking any questions.

In my apartment, once when I left the door open of my vacant unit, they reported it on a daily sheet but did not inform me at all, or try to close the door. It was another tenant who came to tell me four days later.

It's time security companies were liable to be sued for these kind of things rather than being totally left out of the picture when it comes to blame.

I agree entirely.

RESPONSIBILITY (kwaam-rabpichawb, in Thai) is a concept that is so vastly weak in Thai policing and Thai security... Until these companies (and the University itself) are sued for poor policing, these sad situations will occur again and again...

Still not convinced that Burmese are the guilty ones... The habit of framing up some poor schmuck is commonplace in Thai policing -- especially if the truly responsible party is a son or daughter of a privileged family...

Don't believe everything you see and hear on the news...

Caveat emptor & do your own research...

:o

Terribly sad... in her college room... :D

God save our kids and punish those bastards... regardless where they're from :o

Most crimes of passion -- like this sordid type -- are committed by a person that the victim knows... Opportunity, motive, etc...

Is this schmuck in the news really the right guy? I would have to do more research to really believe that...

My condolences to the victim's family. May her soul rest in peace...

:D

My deepest condolences to the family. This is a heinous crime and I hope the true culprits are caught and brought to justice. I hope that real justice is served, and not just convenient scapegoats that make it easy for the police and everyone involved, including the real guilty party, whomever it may be.

That being said, the Burmese are ALWAYS a convenient scapegoat in Thailand, especially construction workers. It is so much of a stereotype, that Thais always warned me about BURMESE CONSTRUCTION WORKERS in particularly. I've known literally hundreds of Burmese during my 4 years in Thailand, but funnily enough all of the sex crimes that I' ve heard about have been Thai. But, if there are Burmese construction workers anywhere near a crime, according to Thai speculation and Thai thinking, it must be them.

I am just hoping for a real investigation, and a real arrest. I hope that's not asking for too much.

In my day in the U.S. such things were always blamed on the gypsies! Of course, now days its the Mexicans!

Hi.

Sure must have been Burmese... Thais don't do such horrible things, right?

dam_n, the media here is becoming more and more like the German ones.... only reporting crimes if there' a chance they were committed by a foreigner.

What a shame.

Thanh

Wash your mouth 3 times with soap for making such senseless remarks

that's very easy to answer. thais would "never" do that. so it must have been the poor burmese who just happened to be working close by.

Sad, sad story. Sorry for the girl. Sorry for her parents, relatives and friends.

Maybe i am not normal, but my immediate thought was ' may some of us, expats, disquise as burmese?'...

Just think,- no problems with immigration, no waste of time on visas, no work permits... Sorry for all of us.

:o

Why's everyone on here up in arms about 'Burmese scapegoats' like we know what the investigations have shown up? Time for the high horses is when someone (anyone) has been accused and yet all the evidence points elsewhere, leastways not at them - anyone here actually know one way or the other 'who why what... '??

MMMMmmmmm.... did he break a light bulb on the way out????? That could help with the inquiry... :o

Haha, no sh!t, huh?

I have an idea how to solve all the crime in Thailand, and save a lot of light bulbs, why don't they just put them all on boats and send them away???

i have reported this to a mod.

can i suggest genuine tv readers do the same with these disrespectful posts. use the report buttonn and clean this forum up. condolencesm to the family and friends

Hmmmm....... a sad sad story indeed..... and a young kid who will never ever have a MOM again.

but I guess the Burmese will experience even more unfair treatment than before here now...... would there be such an outcry , if the murderer would have been a THAI (as usually the case) ?

and when that gay Farang Music teacher was slaughtered by young SHAN men in CM just a few days ago, there was no such protest from the Thai citizens.....

it is speculation that they were burmese. i know a maejo student and their reaction in a planned sitin on this crime was focused on the need for a better police investigation. the sit in has not been reported and i am saying no more

on the second point: if you attended the four days of the music teacher funeral you would realise that about 20 farang attended and 130 thai on the last day, about 5 farang and 20 thai on the first 3 days. yes, thais don't protest but equally please do not assume that they all readily blame the shan, the burmese or any other non-thai race. that is just not the case. i do not of course speak for the media

The funeral was well attended by all I think. I went to three days. I was very surprised to see many Thai people but was very pleased that they had come. You cant comparre a falang gay man who;s just been here 1 year and a Thai girl with her network of family and friends at univeristy. It's unfair to try.

i was not making a comparison. i was responding to two points made by the poster. please read threads more carefully. i was surprised at the high number of thais too, showing that they cared a lot. did you listen to the two speeches made by two thais on the last day, the thais that actually organised the funeral? the op said the thais did not protest, my point is that protesting would notb help but they were cerainly compassionate - hence my comment on the mix of farang and thai attending.

-------

Police said he had confessed to carrying out the murders with two members of the Shan hill tribe, nicknamed Jack and John. All three worked at a gay bar in Chiang Mai's night market and had frequently been taken from the bar by Mr. Crisp, a popular and well respected member of the expatriate community in Chiang Mai, and former head of music at Lasswade Secondary School, Bonnyrigg.

You seem to be saying that if the police say someone has confessed then they have the culprit? i won't say any more. read all the posts here