Thailand Warns Angelina Jolie Over Comments On Rohingyas

george

Rather than taking the opportunity to take a swipe at the Thai approach to the problem of the Rohingya people can anyone suggest an alternative? These are an Islamic people. They were heading for an Islamic nation. Send them to Malaysia or Indonesia? Do they want them?

Do you want them going to the UK, Australia, US etc?

No I thought not. So, what to do? Send them on? Send them to the Muslem insurgents in the south of Thailand? Send them back?

How many Brits would like to send teh Muslems in the UK back to Arabic states?

See, it isn't as clear cut as you think.

Spot on!

It is MADE a "Thai Problem" as it is on of the closest Nation and one of the wealthiest in the Region!

Why it is forgotten how many of these "Boat People" have been dealt with already - why are people so quick with blaming Abhisit and the "new Government" for it, taking a swipe at "the Military" without any genuine grounds?

Statement from the Government has been already that the resources are limited..... and the real Culprit is the Military Junta of Myanmar!

It will be a hot issue at the ASEAN Conference, shortly!

Why nobody asks if the Thai Government maybe may need some very urgent international (UNHCR) help with this burning issue?

Instead bash, bash, bash!

Every country in the world seems to face global economic and financial crisis and so is Thailand. It stemmed from a few mistakes that only very few people started for their personal gain in the first place. Every taxpayer in every country is now affected by such a.s.s.hol.ism. Everyone and every government is also affected somewhat by real crisis and somewhat by the mere pretense of it!

While a number of people have claimed their rights to criticize or blame anyone in Thailand, starting from the monarchy down to the Prime Minister, Government and perhaps to everyone existing in this Kingdom, they are so pathetic not looking at the real sides of things but putting up emotional bull.shit to achieve their own selfish mindless goals. Wow, what a masterpiece of invention. You guys are so rich and so willing to spend big bucks on airfares flying across the globes here and there to lecture our people without realising what big problems we are being affected by with all these immigration problems and accential force of mistery from multiculuralism as people from unwanted grades keep escaping into this kingdom. We spend countless amount of our taxpayers money solving this problems and you or your parents can't even realize what we are going through.

Isn't it time to look down at your dimmed shadows and admit that you are running out of time to carry out this compregensive manipulation? The Americans are so good at practising solving the problems from their causes and take preventive measures from them. Ain't it time for Jolie and UNHCR to return to those prestigious lucrative schools to get enlightened instead of coming here and painting wrong colours on our Kingdom.

We all know what caused Rohingya and the illegal immegrants to come to this country. You therefore should ask the Thais why not so many of them illegally migrate to another country and perhaps learn what we do to look after our people instead of trying to outperform our wisdom and refinement by exercising your compregensive manipulation scheme... needless to say!

In going to any land or staying in any country, one ought to respect their laws and understand what burdens they are carrying otherwise it would be one's ignorance to open one's mouth inventively with critics.

Great post and welcome to the forum. To be fair though, I don't believe anyone was criticizing the monarch.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have heard about illegal immigration all over the world. But at the same time, I heard they have been jailed and handed over to respective countries.

Thais indeed migrants illegally towards Japan or Singapore.

So, Ms. Jolie just want to oppose inhuman behavior with such migrants, I think so.

becoming a military state?

check wikipedia and the the succession of PMs since 1932.

Many instances of military rule, Thaksin, good or bad, was the only PM to last a full term let alone get elected for a 2nd. NOT to get into a Thaksin discussion, there have been other threads on that.

The POINT is, Thailand does NOT have much of a history of democratic stability. The military rulers over the 77 years lasted longer terms than the PMs.

Look at how many times, since 1932, there has been military rule! Thaksin was out the police hiearchy, which is similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime...ers_of_Thailand

In my humble opinion, the the events of 1932 were never 'really' accepted by the Thai people and nation. The political 'mess' of the past 77 years has no way of changing into the future. The ONLY solution would be to reestablish the pre 1932 form of government!~

Outlaw political parties but allow elected regents to be submitted for approval.

--------

This Post is aimed at all those who do not realise the 'present' situation is historic and indemic! It pains me to see there are some who think it could somehow change and improve.

How does that go? grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

ahh thanks Google

That is my advice on this subject "Grab some serenity!" it WON"T change in our lifetimes!

unless it went back to pre 1932 conditions. THAT would be a GOOD thing!

Edited by eggomaniac

Agreed, this is all very embarrassing for Thailand, but comments like these are deplorable and reminiscent of "The U.N. is not my father".

One would hope for educated Thais to be more-aware of international expectations, on both the proper treatment of refugees, and on freedom-of-expression.

Can mark charge Jolie for LM?

In going to any land or staying in any country, one ought to respect their laws and understand what burdens they are carrying otherwise it would be one's ignorance to open one's mouth inventively with critics.

Most of us are westerners. We are educated from an early age (unlike Thais) to

QUESTION AUTHORITY

EXERCISE CRITICAL and INDEPENDENT THINKING

CONSIDER HUMAN RIGHTS (murdering illegal immigrants = bad)

FACE IS NOT NEARLY AS IMPORTANT TO US

Sorry we offend.

BTW, most any westerner can afford a plane ticket here. Most of us aren't at all rich. Cheers. Does Thailand want to be a respected partner in the community of nations or another BURMA? Almost all of us westerners think going to way of Burma is a bad thing. Again, sorry if that offends. I think I can understand that we come off as smug and arrogant and that we can't possibly understand the realities of being Thai. Again, sorry, we really mostly can't help it, your culture is strong within you, and our culture is strong within us. Thai nationalism often comes off as PARANOIA and XENOPHOBIA to foreigners.

Edited by Jingthing

why doesn't Jolie apologize to Jeniffer first, instead of interfering with Thailand's sovereignty?

if anybody in any way wants to help these Burmese people; get an army together, invade Burma and kill the generals, that's the only way to really solve anything ... of course whining to Thailand that they should help those few refugees is more PC ... makes her look good, but doesn't solve anything

dam_n, I wish my country would drag all those low life immigrants out of my country!!

Are you sure your name is not Bush?

Good on Thailand BALLS TO THE U.N. AND Balls to these 'people' like AJ and BP who make their money telling other people what to think and then in their spare time, tell other people how to live, how to run a government, how to tie shoe laces, how to look anorexic etc...She has to do something with all that white guilt I guess. But leave cultures she knows nothing about alone.

Thai govt warns Jolie and UNHCR over comments on Rohingyas

brad-pitt-and-angelina-jolie.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai government is not happy with US actress Angelina Jolie and the United Nations High Commission for Refugees for criticising that Thai government did not respect Rohingya boat people's human rights

Thai Foreign Ministry's Permanent Secretary Virasakdi Futrakul said the Rohingya's presence in Thailand is a hot issue. ""It was a coincidence that the Rohingya was a hot news issue at the time. We must warn UNHCR that they should not comment on the matter because they have no mandate."

The warning came after UNHCR's goodwill ambassador Jolie who visited Burmese camps along Thai border last week criticised Thai government of ignoring the plight of Rohinyas and suggested that Thai government should take better care of the Burmese ethnics.

Virasakdi told reporters that Angelina was not focused on the Rohingya, but was visiting Burmese refugee camps.

"The UNHCR should not have brought Jolie, its goodwill ambassador, to one of the nine refugee camps stringing the border which are run by Thailand's interior ministry."

"The Thai government will issue a reprimand letter to UNHCR, asking why it allowed Angelina Jolie to visit the refugee camps," Virasakdi told reporters.

-- The Nation 2009-02-11

I have heard about illegal immigration all over the world. But at the same time, I heard they have been jailed and handed over to respective countries.

Thais indeed migrants illegally towards Japan or Singapore.

So, Ms. Jolie just want to oppose inhuman behavior with such migrants, I think so.

Exactly! Just watch Lou Dobbs on CNN. Jolie should be picketing his show in AMERICA!

There people perishing everyday trying to get into the USA.

THERE IS A SOLUTION! The roots lie in the Fair Trade movement! There HAS to be a world revolution. FAIR WORLD. Cheap 3rd world labor has to outlawed! NO more RICH and POOR Nations. NOT commusism, there would still be richer people who are more skilled and energetic.

If everybody in the World lived within their Incomes, everybody would have a job!

The World economies, over the past 50 years, debt financing have been 1rst cousins to Ponzi schemes. [let the grandchildren pay for it] It crashed and now they 'want to get credit flowing again' sheesh

The World Bank and the IMF, last year, suggested there is a World Wide Depression, however the Western leaders, Obama included, is rejecting that as an 'opinion'.

In my opinion, it is a FACT.

The water is off the beaches and the wave is on the horizon! It IS a tsunami.

These lowered fuel prices over the past few months could almost make one believe in God.

Giving folks time to HEAD FOR THE HILLS!

It IS coming folks, the IMF is correct on this one!

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=IM...Search&meta=

The ONLY way to recover is a Global FAIR WORLD outlawing of cheap labor.

Opening of borders, but NOT starting with 3rd world nations.

Hang idiots like Limbaugh and Lou Dobbs in efigy, these are the types who created the MESS, instead of attacking spectators like Thailand.

A bottom UP revolution is required to change things from the top DOWN.

Might I remind members of the most rigidly enforced rule on Thaivisa:

No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

No time to read ALL the replies but: It was clearly the

Thai Foreign Ministry's Permanent Secretary

In other words a bureaucrat from the permenent Ministry staff

that doesn't change with governments change.

No doubt the government is less than please with this faux pas.

They have it sticky enough with out Permenent Civil Service twits

opening their mouths in the governments name.

Without checking the facts.

Maybe Brad and Angie can adopt the refugees as their 'special children', they have between them earnt enough money to donate millions to re-house and help educate these poor people.

But Thailand is right, you have to be cruel to be kind, and once word makes its way back to the refugee camps in India and Burma that their people are not being welcommed they will soon stop comming.

Look at the problems they have had in the Canaries with Blacks swimming over from Africa!...their soft hearts have cost them plenty dollar!

Rohingyas are not the first boat peoples abused by the Thai military. There are documented stories and statistics of how Vietnamese who had escaped that country were attacked by fellow Buddhist nation Thailand. Add in North Koreans, Cambodians sent back to the Khmer Rouge purposely to die, and Hmong, and you have a really long list of atrocities. That is why they want Angelina Jolie to shut up...Thailand has been COVERING UP vast human rights abuses.

In fact, TENS OF THOUSANDS of Vietnamese had been raped, assaulted, attacked, and killed on the high seas for no other reason except that they couldn't protect themselves and some had GOLD. No other nation had even a tenth of the number and frequency of assaults that the Thais committed. One day when Vietnam gets powerful and less crony, this issue is gonna resurface and Thailand is gonna look really stupid. Vietnamese-Americans and Vietnamese-Australians are still very angry about it, many sworn on their life never to visit Thailand. Some even compare Thailand to pre-war Japan in viciousness. Thailand took free aid money from the US and never used it for its intended purpose, then viciously raped the women, and beat the men.

Camps were set up in Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, Hong Kong, and Indonesia. According to stories told by the Vietnamese refugees, the conditions at the camps were poor. Very little of the aid money donated primarily by the United States actually got to the refugees. Refugees at Thai camps were maltreated and many were brutally bullied by the Thai guards. Some 863 Vietnamese were known to be raped, 763 people physically attacked and killed, and 489 people abducted, some 77% of refugee boats leaving in 1981 were attacked by Thais. People speculate real figures could be ten times as high as reported.

: http://www.thoughts.com/HUIFANGWENPAN/blog...people--221260/

When the Vietnam war ended in 1975, a vast migration of Vietnamese people began. So many entered Thailand that the Thai government, the United Nations, and international human rights groups established refugee centers inside Thailand.

“But the cost of entering Thailand and the cost of entering the refugee camp was rape,” a Vietnamese American woman told us.

“My sister was raped 13 times,” she said.

“Many of my relatives disappeared. We are sure they must have been killed.”

“This occurred in 1975 but continued for more than ten years as Vietnamese people came out of their home country,” the former refugee told us.

Thai sailors at sea were notorious as pirates searching the ocean for Vietnamese “Boat People.”

If the Thai men found helpless Vietnamese “Boat People,” they usually killed all and stole anything of value they found. First they raped the women of all ages.

“I was eight months pregnant,” one told us. “I was the only person not raped and killed in my boat. I saw my husband killed and one of my other relatives beheaded.”

No Thai government has ever effectively dealt with the human rights abuses they have witnesses for the last three decades.

One of the more notorious camps for refugees inside Thailand was known as “Sikhiew.”

“When I was 12, my family and I was in a refugee camp called “Sikhiew Camp” in Thailand,” wrote Chhai. “Life in the camp was no different to a prison, I could tell that the grown up were going crazy and very much depressed. There were brick walls surround us, we live, eat, and sleep in a building that housed around 200 people, each person were given a 65cm x 2m space.”

Another woman told us that after 6 PM, Sikhiew became a lawless area. “Thai men came in, grabbed a refugee woman, and disappeared to rape her all night.”

So it is no surprise that now, as North Korean refugees are supposedly offered “refuge” inside Thailand, these helpless people are the subject of abuse and maltreatment.

: http://www.oneviet.com/archives/2009/02/dr...in_thailand.php

Ask a Vietnamese boat person during the '80s who survived Thai piracy in the Gulf of Thailand and you will hear tales of unspeakable horrors – rape, robbery, murder, and human trafficking. UN records are full of documents, describing how Thai pirates used hammers, machetes, and guns to massacre entire boats of refugees, including children and women. Others were simply dumped at sea to drown. Despite international protest, the Thai government made few attempts to prosecute those accused.

During the Cold War, Thailand also supported the Khmer Rouge, the genocidal regime responsible for the death of more than 2 million Cambodians. What did the Land of a Thousand Smiles gain from supporting such a murderous group? Access to the Pailin gem mines and precious timber under Khmer Rouge control, and the promise to keep at bay the invading Vietnamese, who until 1989, occupied Cambodia.

: SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA

Thai Pirates vs Vietnamese Refugees

As a girl in Vietnam, Hue was so cheerful that her mother would look at the smile and say, " Rain or shine, the flower blooms."

Now she is 35 and finds it difficult to smile. She avoids human company, preferring to spend her time alone in the backyard of their small Sunnyvale house. The exotic birds, the goldfish ponds, the Asian statuary - all are shrines to sweet memories, handholds on the past that keep her from sinking into the sorrow of the present. But the garden is a refuge only during the day. At night, she has no place to hide from the dreams that invade her sleep and leave her screaming.

The screams echo back to an evening in May eight years ago, when Thai pirates raped her with a savagery uncommon even on the Gulf of Thailand. That night turned Hue's life from a joy into a burden.

"I get very depressed," she said. "It makes you feel so ashamed. You feel you want to disappear."

Hue is not the only Vietnamese woman who feels that her life was irreparably damaged while crossing the gulf. There are an estimated 70,000 Vietnamese in Santa Clara County, and while no data exist on how many fled by boat or how many were attacked, all available statistics suggest that several thousands may fall into that category.

What the children feel is often a mystery. Their solemn faces often are the only clue to thoughts and feelings sealed off inside and rarely, if ever, expressed. Many are like the two sons of a friend of Hue who - at ages 10 and 11 - watched their mother being gang raped seven years ago.

"They never smile," she said.

That Hue can smile, albeit with difficulty, is a tribute to the strength that made her one of the first women to captain a refugee boat. Her boat was 20 feet long and crowed with 33 refugees. The first two days of their voyage were uneventful, but at dusk on the third day, a large fishing boat appeared like a sinister shadow on the horizon and then bore down on them without a flag or lights. As they turned to avoid the boat, Hue ordered the women to smear their faces with engine oil and fish sauce to diminish their appeal. The ploy proved futile. The fishing boat easily caught up with them, and the first thing its crew did was demand that the women bathe. After bathing, the women were fed. After eating, they were searched. After being robbed, they were raped. Most of the crew members were dark skinned and curly haired. One who spoke English told Hue they were Cambodian, but she says that she did not believe him, that she thinks they were Thai. Their boat was distinctively Thai, and most of the pirates wore sarongs and headbands but no shirts, a common uniform for Thai fishermen.

Hue shudders with disgust as she recalls the first man who raped her as 10 others clapped and cheered in a circle around them. His head was shaved, and the knife he held to her throat slashed her chin when she turned her head and clawed at his face. In retaliation, he and several other pirates clawed and bit her body with such force that she recently underwent surgery to reconstruct her mutilated breasts. The pirates then turned on a petite 16-year-old virgin and began to rape her as her father looked on. Unable to accommodate their brutality, the girl began to hemorrhage. As she slowly bled to death, they continued to rape her. After she died, they covered the upper half of their body with a sheet and raped her some more.

By the time the pirates were finished with the girl, her father's eyes had seen more horror than his mind could handle. He had gone insane.

Temporarily sated, the pirates decided to keep four women, including Hue, and let the other refugees continue their voyage. Only by leaping onto the refugee boat as a pirate cut the rope that bound it to the fishing boat did hue manage to save herself. But what she saved, she said was only part of what she had been.

" I used to be such a happy person," she said. "I used to laugh and like to be with friends. Now I am quiet and prefer to be alone. Friends ask me to go out with them, but I don't feel like it. I go to weddings sometimes, but I only stay an hour or so and then leave. Some people say to forget about it, but you can't forget about it very easy."

Added to the humiliation of her own abuse, Hue said, is guilt over the disappearances of the other three women, all of whom were her friends and all of whom she had coaxed into coming along.

"I think about them all the time," she said. "I still don't know where they are. Sometimes their families write to me and ask where they are, and I say they are somewhere in America but I don't know where. I have to lie because I am afraid to tell them the truth."

Hue married an older man five years ago, but says the marriage has never been consummated because the attack left her with an aversion to sex that she cannot overcome. She said she tried to commit suicide four years ago but was found before the overdose of sleeping pills took full effect. She no longer feels like killing herself, Hue said, but she feels she has little to live for except helping other women who suffered similar ordeals. "Some girls were much younger than me, and some had a harder time," she said. "One girl watched her two brothers get killed when they tried to stop the pirates from raping her. Later, she had a pirate's baby. She was 15.

San Jose Mercury News, 1990.

Thousands of Vietnamese women refugees were raped and then murdered in front of their relatives in the sea. Many young girls were unable to accommodate their brutality and was slowly bled to death. In many cases, even after the victim died, the pirates covered the upper half of their body with a sheet and raped them some more. Among those who survived the rape, they were kidnapped to brothels to work as sex slaves, likely to earn tourists' dollars for Thailand. To this day, their fates still remain unknown, and the Thai government has made no effort to free them.

Edited by exexpat

I wish the PM would read this comments here which are truely correct and recognize their mistakes to lead themself into the focus of the world in a bad way, or at least if his people would, and some Thais (they not care anyway, why they waste their time?), but I am afraid they will not read it and will not understand what this looks like. I have a higher opinion and expectations of the new PM and hope this didn't come from his mouth. Or is he like Toxin who not cares what the world thinks? How things work in developed countries, with educated people? That's the way it works in black Africa, but isn't TH a step ahead?

how it goes, an elephant in a porcelain store?

I find it amazing that the last few governments of this country where conflict-avoidance and keeping face means so much has so little clue of public relations and such an abundant ability to make themselves like complete idiots.

Trying to reprimand the UNHCR and a goodwill ambassador so obvious in the center of the public eye without backing it up with hard facts that nothing bad happened to the boat people must be one of the stupidest things the Thai government currently can do.

I nearly get the impression they actually try to sabotage their country intentionally, as with the airport closure.

The Thai Official who started all this might want to do a rethink, Brad Pitt might have to kick some serious butt. Maybe they should throw her in prison for a few years for not keeping her opinion to herself. How about a t-shirt that says "I went to Thailand and all I got was to <deleted>!"

In all seriousness this could be a disaster to pick a fight with her. The American News media has nothing to report with Obama now in the Whitehouse. If they take up this story which it looks like its happening already, it could seriously damage Thailand's reputation by informing average Americans as to what is happening here. It took me a while to learn how to use the internet but one thing I learned the hard way, if people make negative comments, sometimes its best to let it go. In this case Jolie did not even make negative comments anyway and is completely innocent of what she has been accused of.

http://x17online.com/celebrities/angelina_...it-02112009.php

Thai Official NOT Happy With Angelina's Visit

JolieCriticized Thai government official wants Angelina to keep her well plumped lips sealed!!!

The Thai official criticized Jolie for speaking out on behalf of Muslim refugees from Myanmar.

Angelina called for better treatment of the refugees, known as the Rohingya, during a visit to Thailand last week.

Thailand's military has recently been accused of detaining and beating hundreds of Rohingya who fled abuse and poverty in Myanmar, before towing them back out to sea in tiny boats with little food and water, according to the Associated Press.

The permanent secretary of the Thai foreign ministry says the UNHCR should not have brought Jolie, the organization's goodwill ambassador, to the camps.

The UNHCR wouldn't comment on the official's rebuke, but issued the following statement.

"Angelina Jolie was extremely touched by the plight of the Rohingya people. She expressed the hope that the human rights of the Rohingya people will be respected just as the human rights of everyone in the world should be respected."

Vietnamese-Americans are by no means a small group. 2.5 million are already in California alone, many are boat people or relatives of boat people, as well as rich and well connected. Also Chinese of Vietnamese origins were attacked as well. Add in others of the diaspora and you got potentially explosive arguments against Thailand. Thailand would have been wise to stop abusing minorities...but my thoughts are this time its gone too far.

One Vietnamese-Americans account of Khao I-Daeng, 20 km north of Aranyaprathet.

If you were in Thailand late 80s, and you stay in Khaobidang that near Banthad,and other camps near by Thai security were strip everyone 100% nake, and search for gold. Sometimes they took any female to their place, and rapes. When they were drunk, they put empty beer bottle over whoever head and shoot, or sometimes they made people jump into a manhole which full of $hit. How you feel about that? Therefore, single female asked the guy to sleep together so they may avoid to get rape. I known alot people who were rape by Thai fisherman or pirates. There were aleast one million boat people were killed by Thai on Sea and land. They took all female to their boat then they used knives, axes,guns to kill the rest of people they didnt wanted, and they even run their boat over a few times so you dont have many chance for survival. The pirates could keep female on their boat for weeks, by the time they got bore, they either kills and overboard. I know some people survived after all that horrible time of their lives, and they never had counselor treatment. They got crazy after that, especial young kids who had never growth up normal life. There were many sad stories around. If any1 interest to find out about how bad life in refugee camps in Thailand,You could ask whoever lived there late in the 80s.Later I got transfer closer to Bankok that had many refugge camps, Section C and Transit for people who came before 3/14/89. Holding, Section O, Sikiew for people who were there after 3/14. The foods that provided by UNHR were nasty, if you got money to buy extra food from shopping were so expensive compare to Laos, Campodian, Hmong camp. There alot people tried to run outside the 3meters solid fence which had many layers of razer wires to prevent people got out. But alot people still do it, they didnt care if they got caught. If you got caught by the security, they beat you up so badly, and put u in jail for a month. They made people who were over 18yrs to guard the fence for 8hrs, if u let any1 go in or out the fence, u were dead meat! I saw many people got beat up so bad while I was there 4yrs. They didnt except u to pass the interview unless u had direct blood lines such as parents and children or husban and wife. They didnt pass many veteran service. monks. U cant imagine how bad they were treat boat people. Lives in refugee camp just like hel_l on earth.By the time they tried to force boat peole to volunteer to go back Vn. They brought people to Sikiew camp in middle of nowhere in the Jungle that had many high rise apartment with 3meters solid concrete wall. You were no longer to put up a plastic wall as ur private space, Every1 line up n sleep at nite as sadines in a can. U must prepare meal outside the apt which made very unconvenient to do it eveyday, but boat peole would like to trade it for freedon so they had to live that way. Thai people who run the camps that make alot money if you going back to vn. Thai cut back on food, water once per week and it so dirty. So if you werent stand it anymore, U sign up to go back to vn, they bring up back to Section O camp that boat people were better. If u were change ur mind not go back to vn, they beat u up, put u in jail and return u back to sikhiew. Boat people got so up set about how they treat Vietnamese and force back to Vn, then we all protest UNHCR. It was so bad for a couple days, monk set on fire, people got shoot by security. Security unable to control all those Vietnamese immigrate, then they called Thai miltary in for help. I remember there were at least 10 trucks carrying soldiers to stop the protest that going on along the freeway to Bangkok. Soldiers had big machine guns, they line up again the wall, they said whoever run out, they will shoot. After that protest the securities werent mean to vietnamese like before, and there were nomore solid metal walls with razer wire. We could wall around othere refugee camps such as Section O, Laos and Hmong. I known that I couldnt go from there to any 3world country.Therefore, I had to vollunteer to go back to VN with my brothers. We were very lucky that my sister sponser my family to the US since I had escaped Vn, then I add up all the papper work. We left VN 6 months after I had return back from Thailand. Any1 would like to share ur stories w/ me by PM

Edited by Lite Beer
E Mail Removed. Lite Beer.

Thai government looks fuc_king stupid with a statement like this.

"Yes, we do not want people to notice the bad things about our country, so please next time keep your mouth shut about the truth so our tourism doesn't suffer."

Uh, no thanks, you arrogant pricks.

UPDATE:

Burma envoy raps ugly, dark Rohingya

HONG KONG: -- The top Burmese official in Hong Kong has described the Rohingya people as "ugly as ogres" in a letter sent to media and foreign officials after a high-profile refugee case highlighted their plight.

The country's Consul General Ye Myint Aung told heads of foreign missions in Hong Kong and local newspapers members of the Muslim ethnic group should not be described as being from Burma.

"In reality, Rohingya are neither (Burmese) people nor Myanmar's ethnic group," he wrote, in a letter seen by reporters on Wednesday. "Myanmar" is the military junta's name for Burma.

The envoy contrasted the "dark brown" Rohingya complexion with the "fair and soft" skin of people from Burma, which he said was "good looking as well".

In a letter liberally punctuated with brackets, Ye Myint Aung continued: "(My complexion is a typical genuine one of a Myanmar gentleman and you will accept that how handsome your colleague Mr Ye is.) It is quite different from what you have seen and read in the papers. (They are as ugly as ogres)."

Rights groups say the Rohingya are stateless and face religious and ethnic persecution from the Burmese military regime, forcing thousands to take to rickety boats each year in a bid to escape poverty and oppression.

But Burma's junta denies the existence of the Rohingya as an ethnic group in the mainly Buddhist country and says the migrants are Bangladeshis.

Ye Myint Aung included recent clippings from the New Light of Myanmar newspaper, a mouthpiece for the junta, stating that the Rohingya are not among Burma's ethnic groups and detailing 60 years of action against Rohingya "illegal immigrants".

Thailand's military was accused in January of towing hundreds of Rohingya out to sea in poorly equipped boats with scant food and water after they tried to flee Burma, a charge Thailand has "categorically denied".

The accusations surfaced after nearly 650 Rohingya were rescued off India and Indonesia, some saying they had been beaten by Thai soldiers. Hundreds of the boat people are still believed to be missing at sea.

Ye Myint Aung said his letter was prompted by the attention the case has attracted.

Burma's Hong Kong consulate refused to comment despite repeated telephone calls.

-- AFP 2009-02-12

my young son in fifth grade was wondering out loud whether 'veerasuck' Thai Foreign Ministry's Permanent Secretary was really competent in his english announcement or was there something lost in the translation.

"The Thai government will issue a reprimand letter to UNHCR, asking why it allowed Angelina Jolie to visit the refugee camps," Virasakdi told reporters.

veerasuck probably should delineate the phase 'the thai govt'.... surely his big boss educated in england will not sign it, even if veerasuck will get down on his knee and beg!

it is an utter shame to hear a thai high ranking official making such an idiotic statement on behalf of the thai govt.

veerasuck should really be doing something else less exposed.

there are already enough problems for the new govt to resolve internally and internationally. surely some of his superiors will shut him up nicely in a thai smiling way without hurting his ego too much that he would run to join the opposition party.... lol

exexpat:

you were describing the painful experiences suffered in the hands of many opportunists. then i was volunteering my time and resources for the catholic charity. yet many refugees were smart enough to come through all those disspeakable situations with gold ingots to start their lives anew in the agricultural areas. americans were amazed how hard the refugees would work and how little would they complain about anything.

yes in the span of only three short years, about 15% were able to save enough to purchase their own home fha. i knew this story because i was there telling each family about the altimate american dreams.

many evenings there were also frantic police calls because many good old american neighbors could not tolerate hearing and seeing small animals being slaughtered in their neighbors' minicured backyards. that was the year that was.... may God continue to bless america. amen.

Might I remind members of the most rigidly enforced rule on Thaivisa:

No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

no doubt. i just skimmed 5 pages of this drivel. 5 pages of farangs with big opinions who don't understand the country they live in.

i didn't think that closing the airport and putting one of the only countries to avoid the recession into a tailspin was a good idea, but its not my country. i'm just happy for the higher dollar and lower travel rates so i can take some vacation time with my wife without drunk farangs crowding every hotel and beach.

as far as this Jolie thing, Thai people are very independent and proud. they have little need for the outside world and this will probably always be the same. actors aren't nobel prize winners. they are overpaid pretty faces that repeat lines in front of a camera. although every Thai woman follows all of the pop gossip (including my wife who buys 10-20 magazines a week), they don't want any outsider coming in and criticizing their country. especially if they don't know the whole situation.

Jolie ran her mouth after visiting ONE refugee camp. i'm sure there's lots of actual Thai people living in worse housing and with less food. why doesn't she donate a couple million baht to the refugee situation?? she needs it for 1st class airfare and hotels?

just enjoy the privilege of being in this country and <deleted>.

my 2 cents (sip baht) :o

I think that there are a lot of issues for Miss Jolie to comment in her own country like water boarding, Gitmo, unlawful arrests, denying legal assistance to suspects, special courts for so called suspects of terrorism, kidnapping, lack of health care, the list is almost endless. In the French language there is an nice quote for people like her

"sois belle et tais toit"

Further more I advise all American citizens to modest their comments about human rights abuse, especially for SEA. Their track record in SEA is far from spotless. Every year ten thousands of handicapped baby's are still born in Vietnam due to the spraying of chemicals by the US air force. Not to mention their responsibility for the destruction of 2 peaceful countries Laos and Cambodia.

Im certainly not about to defend the military of the treatment of the Rohingyas. It is one thing to enforce border control, and yes not every country can endlessly accept immigrants, regardless of their plight. however, there needs to be a better way to deal with how to ensure those that are turned away are not left to face death.

(remember Australia under Howard government was criticised for similar turning away of boat people in recent years)

however, I think people need to separate the issues of the Rohingyas and what the Thai government is doing with refugees in the north. rightly or wrongly, Thailand is not a signatory to the UN convention on the rights of migrants. YET, despite not being a signatory, over the years Thailand has hosted tens of thousands of burmese refugees along the north border. many have been living in the refugee camps for 20 or 30 years (possibly longer). conditions in the camps are very good. in fact so good that I know of many who have left the camps, found work in Bangkok (or elsewhere), but after a few years choose to return to the camps!

The camp is funded by UNHCR, but with support from the Thai government as well. They also receive continous aid of all sorts from various NGOs and church groups. education is provided, health care, food rations, and certainly their right to practice their culture and religion of their choosing. the Thai government is certainly not persecuting the refugees.

however, Im sure everyone can agree that every country (that I know of) will want to protect its own borders from a large influx of immigrants. even resource rich countries such as Europe, Australia and the US impose strict immigration policies, even in cases of humanitarian refugees.

again, what happens when turning away the refugees is more than questionable. but lets give Thailand credit where its due, rather than across the board criticisms.

UPDATE:

Burma envoy raps ugly, dark Rohingya

HONG KONG: -- The top Burmese official in Hong Kong has described the Rohingya people as "ugly as ogres" in a letter sent to media and foreign officials after a high-profile refugee case highlighted their plight.

The envoy contrasted the "dark brown" Rohingya complexion with the "fair and soft" skin of people from Burma, which he said was "good looking as well".

-- AFP 2009-02-12

This official should be writing for the Daily Mail.

Even though its un-pc for him to say that they are as black as the ace of spades and look like Ratty from Wind in the Willows, thats not a good enough reason to drown them.

As already noted the Thai government machine of any 'colour' seems only to be able to make a crisis out of a drama.

It should be noted however, that reports have suggested that there had been exaggeration over the recent claims out of Indonesia, with the Arakan Project noting that key elements of the testimony was now being rebutted by the Rohingya themselves. Claims about some 20 deaths, 9 boats and maybe 1000+ refugees being put to sea having been detained for 2 months are now shown to be false.

However, there remains evidence of harsh treatment at the hands of the Thai authorities, which was substantiated by Indonesian doctors.

Given that Angelina's comments were very carefully phrased, and indeed praised the Thai authorities for their work, whilst simply asking them to extend the same level of 'understanding' to the Rohingya.

It would have been an opportunity for a PR savvy minister [edit or Permanent Secretary for that matter] to highlight the exaggerations whilst explaining how the programme was being extended. Face saved all round.

Regards

I think your comment is the best so far. This issue has more layers than an onion. I think it needs to be looked at carefully. I spoke to a "Rohingya" fisherman 3 weeks ago in Phuket who I know, he said there were some issues, but that on the whole the Thais' have been quite decent. Agree that the gvt could have scored a lot of points, by using Angelina's comments, but they just don't think like us here. :o

correction....

They just dont think

I find it amazing that the last few governments of this country where conflict-avoidance and keeping face means so much has so little clue of public relations and such an abundant ability to make themselves like complete idiots.

Trying to reprimand the UNHCR and a goodwill ambassador so obvious in the center of the public eye without backing it up with hard facts that nothing bad happened to the boat people must be one of the stupidest things the Thai government currently can do.

I nearly get the impression they actually try to sabotage their country intentionally, as with the airport closure.

I think its a great idea,push em out to sea. the UK should have pushed out many foreigners who cant afford to live and sponge off the UK government, the latest spongers are eastern Europeans,great idea good on the Thais no money no honey get out.

Jolie, an official goodwill ambassador, had no business commenting on Rohingyas as there's no official UNHRC stand on the issue.

If she was speaking for herself, she shouldn't be using her official platform.

Thais have all the rights to put her in place. It's just one story today but it should stop Jolie from milking the issue any further.