Thailand Warns Angelina Jolie Over Comments On Rohingyas

george

There seems to some confusion herein [and it must be said in the minds of the Thai government] about the UNHCR's position re the Rohingyas. In the 2000 report The State of ...

2000 report is irrelevant to the UN and Jolie's reaction to the recent incidents. At this point, afaik, the UNHRC is in the process of discovery what has actually happened.

That's how it works - first you determine the facts, than issue advice, condemn, praise, whatever. Jolie jumped the gun. "Loose lips", as they called her in yesterday's Xpress.

I am sure if she wasn't within her purview she will be dismissed by the UN as a goodwill ambassador..

She won't be dismissed for one remark but sure as hel_l local UN staff told her about the sensitive issue of telling other countries what to do when she presents herself as UN ambassador.

Jolie is merely bringing up an issue which there are people being killed

And that's the problem - no one is being killed, if Jolie thought she was trying to stop killings, she was talking nonsense. If she acts as UN ambassador she shouldn't rely on newspapers to form her opinions. Media got the whole thing wrong this time and the UN itself hasn't formed an opinion yet.

Loose lips.

AJ complimented Thailand by calling them generous. The people on here posting that she told Thailand what to do or that she condemned Thailand in anyway are merely fabricating a story. \

I guess compliments will earn "loose lips" comments. Are compliments deemed offensive to Thais?... learn something new about Thai culture everyday, I guess.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a couple hundred died

That's a cock and bull story, at least with Rohingyas saved by Indonesians. When people from Arakan project that monitors Rohingya issues interviewed the survivors in their native language and not their Malay speaking boss who arranged the whole trip, they told that only three or four people drowned when they tried to swim ashore.

Indian navy saved another group but BBC interviewed only one, apparently English speaking man, who told them terrifying stories about hundreds of dead, people being eaten by sharks and stuff. Most likely load of crap, too.

Apparently no one died from starvation or dehydration either, so the part about Thais leaving them with little food and water might also not check out in the end.

The fact is - we do not know what has actually happened, the UN doesn't know what has actually happened, and until they learn the facts Jolie has no business giving advice.

Thais who handled Rohingyas might have strictly followed protocol, for what we know.

Agreed, this is all very embarrassing for Thailand, but comments like these are deplorable and reminiscent of "The U.N. is not my father".

One would hope for educated Thais to be more-aware of international expectations, on both the proper treatment of refugees, and on freedom-of-expression.

:o Educated Thai's....er have yu been here a long time? bit of a joke comment really.

Yes, I've lived here for several years, and been coming here for over 20 years, during which time I have met many educated Thais, who have travelled or studied or worked overseas. But you're entitled to your (derogatory or borderline-racist ?) view that 'educated Thais' is a "joke comment", I just don't agree with you, is all.

Educated to what standard? and where? have taught here ovr 9 years.pleases define "educated"

Preferably overseas, having taught here for "ovr 9 years", how many overseas-educated students do you encounter ? Do some of your local students move overseas later, after you know them, to reach a higher standard, perhaps ? Travel & study in other countries is a broadening-experience, wherever you come from, IMO.

Which is why I would hope that a senior technocrat, like the person quoted in the OP, would display more awareness of international attitudes, rather than what appears to be a knee-jerk parochial & overly-nationalistic response.

You pay the money , you get the credentials (evenif you never show your face)

This does happen overseas too, witness people with doctoral-theses written in English, who are still not very good at speaking the language, but can go on to become PM.

Educated Thai's.,,, please rephrase.

No.

In view of your comments, I am surprised that you can still find fulfillment, teaching here, if the standard of your students is as low as you suggest ? Or perhaps you just need a trip out-of-country, to regain your balance ... I certainly used to need regular breaks, when working in Arabia, and can understand the need for them.

THIS HAS REALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH JULIE'S VISIT HERE...I WAS TRYING TO ACCESS THE STORY ON BYE-BYE TAKSIN...HAVE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES WHEN I HIT THE LINK FOR THE TACKY STORY I GET THIS SCREEN WHATS UP WITH THAT...IS HE STILL I CONTROL OF THE THE WHOLE COUNTRY?

That thread was deleted, perhaps because of another thread already containing several articles on the topic.

Those begin Here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2525082

As usual Thai govt assumes whole world is stupid whereas reverse is the case.

Which series or part is this ; of "Thailand puts its foot in it yet again".

Don't forget who the foreign minister is:

Have they got the placards out yet - United Nations OK Pai !

Angelina & Brad Ok Pai!

thank you for stating this , everytime I try I get deleted and a board warning.

It's like someone put a curse on this country !!!! A very old, Celtic curse ...

Edited by HorseDoctor

a couple hundred died

That's a cock and bull story, at least with Rohingyas saved by Indonesians. When people from Arakan project that monitors Rohingya issues interviewed the survivors in their native language and not their Malay speaking boss who arranged the whole trip, they told that only three or four people drowned when they tried to swim ashore.

Indian navy saved another group but BBC interviewed only one, apparently English speaking man, who told them terrifying stories about hundreds of dead, people being eaten by sharks and stuff. Most likely load of crap, too.

Apparently no one died from starvation or dehydration either, so the part about Thais leaving them with little food and water might also not check out in the end.

The fact is - we do not know what has actually happened, the UN doesn't know what has actually happened, and until they learn the facts Jolie has no business giving advice.

Thais who handled Rohingyas might have strictly followed protocol, for what we know.

You're forgeting ( conveniently ) about the tourists who witnessed beatings, and rough handling and the video footage from the Thai Navy's own personnel .

Every day Thailand sinks a little lower in the court of world opinion ..

Obviously disrespectful and not in accordance with the Thai and Asian need for public comments to be about as far way from the truth as possible.

Who does she think she is and from a woman too.!!!!!

icon9.gificon9.gificon9.gif

HOw insulting, " Woman..? " AJ is very sexy, obviously a " Girl" in the T.V. vernacular .

AJ complimented Thailand by calling them generous. The people on here posting that she told Thailand what to do

She complimented Thais for setting camps for Burmese and told Thais what to do with Rohingyas, which is a separate and unrelated issue on which she shouldn't have commented at all at this point in time.

Agreed, this is all very embarrassing for Thailand, but comments like these are deplorable and reminiscent of "The U.N. is not my father".

One would hope for educated Thais to be more-aware of international expectations, on both the proper treatment of refugees, and on freedom-of-expression.

:o Educated Thai's....er have yu been here a long time? bit of a joke comment really.

Educated to what standard? and where? have taught here ovr 9 years.pleases define "educated"

I guess I will tell this tomorrow with my two friends at dinner. Both earned their doctorates with me in the US. The husband is a professor and textbook author and the wife recently sold the marketing research company she built from scratch. But I will let them know their degrees are not worth anything. (I guess that means mine isn't worth anything either, since we all received them from the same institution.)

Edited by bonobo

AJ complimented Thailand by calling them generous. The people on here posting that she told Thailand what to do

She complimented Thais for setting camps for Burmese and told Thais what to do with Rohingyas, which is a separate and unrelated issue on which she shouldn't have commented at all at this point in time.

She never told Thailand what to do with Rohingyas. Where did you read that? Did she say, "Thailand, set up a camp for the Rohingyas, now!"? No, she didn't. As it stands, she complimented Thailand... no more, no less.

You are getting in a hissy fit over words that you are putting into Jolie's mouth. Can't you find something real to get upset about?

Yes, I've lived here for several years, and been coming here for over 20 years, during which time I have met many educated Thais, who have travelled or studied or worked overseas. But you're entitled to your (derogatory or borderline-racist ?) view that 'educated Thais' is a "joke comment", I just don't agree with you, is all.

Preferably overseas, having taught here for "ovr 9 years", how many overseas-educated students do you encounter ? Do some of your local students move overseas later, after you know them, to reach a higher standard, perhaps ? Travel & study in other countries is a broadening-experience, wherever you come from, IMO.

Which is why I would hope that a senior technocrat, like the person quoted in the OP, would display more awareness of international attitudes, rather than what appears to be a knee-jerk parochial & overly-nationalistic response.

This does happen overseas too, witness people with doctoral-theses written in English, who are still not very good at speaking the language, but can go on to become PM.

No.

In view of your comments, I am surprised that you can still find fulfillment, teaching here, if the standard of your students is as low as you suggest ? Or perhaps you just need a trip out-of-country, to regain your balance ... I certainly used to need regular breaks, when working in Arabia, and can understand the need for them.

The sad part is, he admits to have been teaching here for 9 years and can't see the irony of accusing Thais of being poorly educated.

You'll find that this isn't some issue that suddenly appeared last month as soon as Abhisit came into power, but is the continuation of a policy put in place by Samak. But you have just jumped on the bandwagon because you see it as a way of nailing Abhisit. It has all been covered in the other recent Rohingya thread, and others dating back a year ago. Of course, you won't be interested in those because Samak was in charge then. But here's the link any way...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Samak-Rohing...nd-t177347.html

Also, from Human Rights Watch, Arakan, March last year:

"Human Rights Watch(HRW),Arakan has drawn its attention with grave shock to the news of above published in the Bangkok Post dated March 29,2008. It is also learnt that relation between Mr. Samak, Prime minister of Thailand and Than Shwe, PM, Burma is improving since recent days on the basis of mutual economic interest amid severe economic sanctions on Burma Junta government by USA and EU since Junta`s crack donw on Monks peaceful protests. At a result 31 protesters were shot dead and hundreds were arrested. Now Mr. Samak is ignoring the economic sanctions and Burma People`s interest and cooperating Than Shwe, the human slaughter and power monger.

Moreover, Samak`s decision to put Rohingyas in a deserted Island ( tough place ) is totally against humanity. There are different religious and different races of people from Burma taking shelter as refugees in Thailand . Why Samak has chosen only Rohingyas to put in tough place ? Why such a religious discrimination was generated in the mind and conscience of Mr. Samak even though Rohingya in Thailand are small in quantity ? It is suspected that Gen. Than Shwe planned to eliminate Rohingya Muslims not only from Burma but also from globe. That's why a question is arising that Than Shwe is trying to exploit the good relationship between he and Samak. It is perceived that Samak is going to materialize the dream of Than Shwe and possibility of silent genocides time to time on such deserted Island"

And, The Guardian, from late last year:

"In Burma, the Rohingya are considered stateless with few rights. Their circumstances have prompted many to seek a better life in prosperous Muslim Malaysia. Most slip into Bangladesh, where people smugglers organize their passage for about £200. Boats packed with migrants set off during October and April, when the seas are calmer. Middlemen in Thailand pay off immigration authorities then take the travelers by land to Malaysia. Thailand turned a blind eye to the traffic, as the Rohingya never planned to stay. But last March the then prime minister, Samak Sundaravej, announced a crackdown on the Rohingya. In December, the new policy of pushing boats out to sea seemed to take effect. The Thai navy intercepts the migrants and hands them to the army, but it seems the army detains them and uses its own boats to push migrants out to sea. By the end of 2005, the UN refugee agency recorded 13,000 Rohingya in Malaysia. Up to 7,000 are estimated to have slipped into the country since, bringing the total to about 20,000."

For a more up to date article, I suggest you get hold of a copy of this weeks Economist, which also lays the blame squarely with Samak. You're correct that the global news media is covering this story, but not in the way you would have it.

No rants, just facts.

Yes, that's all very interesting, but...

You've still not provided any proof to back up your statement that the recent documented human rights abuses by the Thai military under the watch of the current Thai government are "looking somewhat exaggerated."

"While rebutting aspects of the initial account, their testimony still detailed brutal beatings by the Thais and confirmed that the men were set adrift in a flimsy wooden craft by the Thais during January.

At the time there was international condemnation about earlier instances of pushing Rohingya boat people back out to sea, and the Thai Government was insisting such behaviour was not part of its policy."

Arakan project report

1. Try scrolling up the page and looking at post 162.

2. Since it is now evident that pushing them back into the sea was the policy of the previous government, the current government is well within its rights to declare it is not their policy to do so. It now looks like they are taking steps to prove this.

3. Apparently, Abhisit has now confirmed that, in the past, Rohingya were towed out to sea and set adrift. Some of this may well have taken place shortly after he was made PM, but he is no more responsible for it than Obama is for those still held prisoner in Guantanamo Bay. He has acted like any competent world leader would. He stated it was not his government's policy to do so, but he would hold an enquiry. He has looked at the facts and confirmed that yes, past government policy was to do so. One would hope that now he will put a stop to it. One would also hope the perpetrators will be punished, and that includes the enactors of that policy. As I said before, prepare for more charges to be laid on Samak et al. This is increasingly looking like another nail in the coffin of the PPP government.

Your argument here, like so many before, consists entirely of what if's, maybe's, negativities and assumptions.

Yes, it seems that some are blindly trying to push their agenda against this Government, carrying some grudge against the new Government - exposing themselves and their biased attitude.

Shame, that makes many posts non-representational, as there is evidence, that certain posts are just designed to put the blame on the new government for something they are responsible for, but certainly not the initiator!

Edited by Samuian

You're forgeting ( conveniently ) about the tourists who witnessed beatings, and rough handling and the video footage from the Thai Navy's own personnel

I'm not forgetting that, but that alone wouldn't provoked such an outrage in the media and comments from AJ.

Thai navy roughed up and beaten several hundred male immigrants/refugees/intruders who happened to be muslims. That's not news.

The news is when 500 hundred of them died in open seas, but that didn't happen. AJ jumped the gun.

EXACTLY what she said

I put a quote earlier, maybe you missed. From my memory she said that Thais should extend the same generousity they show towards regular Burmese refugees to Rohingyas as well.

That's a perfectly legitimate comment if it appeared on some Internet forum, but not from official UN ambassador because it doesn't make any sense. What exactly is "same generousity"? Thai Interior Ministry that runs Burmese camps is not going to set up a dozen of new camps for Rohingyas, that's out of the question.

Imagine I'm some famous movie star (yeah, I know, in my dreams). I travel to the US, and while there visit some immigrant community. Naturally, being so famous, the press would want to interview me and I say "This is very nice. I hope the US extends the same courtesy to all the Mexicans and Cubans that want to come and live here". I imagine that I'd be told in no uncertain terms to shut up by a large portion of the population, and a number of politicians. This would equally apply to many western countries. I'd like to see Angelina Jolie travel to Australia and start making comments on the Woomera detention centre, or the "removal" centres in the UK. She has every right to have her own opinions on the matter, but she has no right to express those opinions in her official capacity.

Edited by ballpoint

There seems to be some time frame difference between what the PM said and what AJ said. According to CNN, Angelina spoke about the situation last week. This thread was started on Wednesday, Feb. 11. The PM was interviewed by CNN on Feb. 12. I would be interested to know why some people think the PM spoke about the issue BEFORE?

The sad part is, he admits to have been teaching here for 9 years and can't see the irony of accusing Thais of being poorly educated.

Ballpoint, I also thought the same, at first.

But glancing through his other posts, on 2008-10-09 he said "having worked ... recently in Afghanistan" and "As a serviceman" and also "I am a soldier". That was only 3 months ago.

So he might not be a regular teacher "having taught here ovr 9 years", as we both assumed, but perhaps some sort of military trainer, and not seeing the sort of student who gets a first-degree here, then moves abroad for a Master's or Doctorate, before returning to work in industry or for the government ?

This thread has multiple assumptions. Please note as follows;

1. Ms. Jolie made a polite request on behalf of the refugees. The request was in regard to their detention in camps and that they should have an opportunity to obtain an education. She neither ordered nor instructed the Thai authorities.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?News...amp;Cr1=Refugee

2. As mentioned in a recent entry above, Ms. Jolie also praised Thailand; Ms. Jolie noted that witnessing the Government's hospitality towards the 111,000 mostly Karen and Karenni refugees over the years "makes me hope that Thailand will be just as generous to the Rohingya refugees who are now arriving on their shores.

3. Thailand is not a signatory of the UN Convention on refugee. It also restricts the presence of the UN Refugee Agency.

I believe that if one reads between the lines, the issue has more to do with Thailand keeping the UN and foreigners out of the refugee camps than anything else. No need for prying eyes.

Question: Does the Thai military have a vested interest in the Burmese junta? One could speculate that the flow of illegal timber, oil, and of course drugs for export generates generates alot of filthy luchre. Hence, one might not want to do anything to upset the Burmese if one is making money from the same conditions that are furthering the refugee problem.

Edited by geriatrickid

Imagine I'm some famous movie star (yeah, I know, in my dreams). I travel to the US, and while there visit some immigrant community. Naturally, being so famous, the press would want to interview me and I say "This is very nice. I hope the US extends the same courtesy to all the Mexicans and Cubans that want to come and live here". I imagine that I'd be told in no uncertain terms to shut up by a large portion of the population, and a number of politicians. This would equally apply to many western countries. I'd like to see Angelina Jolie travel to Australia and start making comments on the Woomera detention centre, or the "removal" centres in the UK. She has every right to have her own opinions on the matter, but she has no right to express those opinions in her official capacity.

"large portion of the population" is debatable. Yes, I agree that the delusional portion of the US population would get huffy about it... no doubt. But the comment is still mostly a compliment, and the negative reaction to it is perplexing. It would be in the US too. You've done a good job of identifying a cultural similarity between the US and Thailand, but you not explained why a compliment by a movie star should elicit a rebuke.

It's almost like you had a bad dream in which your best friend stole your girl friend. You wake up, but you are pissed off at your best friend and insist on picking a fight. Your best friend is bewildered because he has no idea why you insist on raising a stink. It's all IN YOUR HEAD!

There is little doubt that there are ties between the military in Thailand and the Junta. There certainly is between the two gov'ts. The mistreatment of the Rohingyas I am sure is of little concern to Burma. I would be most surprised as to how they are managing to repatriate them, however, since Burma says they are not citizens.

Thailand is not a signatory to the UN Convention on Refugees, but it is to a number of other international agreements that bar mistreatment of people. There is some agreement between the UN and Thailand, the nature of which I am not specially knowlegeable, that allows certain 'refugees' to remain in Thailand. They are technically listed as "People of Concern". They receive money from the UN and are allowed to remain in the country.

AJ's remarks were hardly inflammatory and quite diplomatic.

:D Educated Thai's....er have yu been here a long time? bit of a joke comment really.

You're consistent, I'll give you that.

5 posts.

4 Thai-bashing posts and 1 deleted.

:D Educated Thai's....er have yu been here a long time? bit of a joke comment really.

No.

Ballpoint, I also thought the same, at first.

But glancing through his other posts, on 2008-10-09 he said "having worked ... recently in Afghanistan" and "As a serviceman" and also "I am a soldier". That was only 3 months ago.

So he might not be a regular teacher "having taught here ovr 9 years", as we both assumed, but perhaps some sort of military trainer, and not seeing the sort of student who gets a first-degree here, then moves abroad for a Master's or Doctorate, before returning to work in industry or for the government ?

Good troll-hunting, guys... :o

btw, the first reply to him above is a good indication.... and uhmm... no real need to vigorously try and sort out what he does in reality. He's a troll. Everything else is meaningless.

Edited by sriracha john

2. As mentioned in a recent entry above, Ms. Jolie also praised Thailand; Ms. Jolie noted that witnessing the Government's hospitality towards the 111,000 mostly Karen and Karenni refugees over the years "makes me hope that Thailand will be just as generous to the Rohingya refugees who are now arriving on their shores.

She subsequently has stated that she would like to have those 111,000 people released into Thailand:

Angelina Jolie : Jolie urges Thai Govt. to free Burmese Refugees locked in camps

Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie has asked the Thailand Government to free around 110,000 Burmese refugees who have been locked inside camps for up to 20 years in the country, and let them move around and seek higher education.

- ANI / 2009-02-13

http://www.entertainmentandshowbiz.com/ang...s-2009021310924

========================================================

As Thailand is ill-equipped to handle that, is the UN ready to take it on and re-settle those 111,000 refugees in other countries?

:o

Edited by sriracha john

From that linkt to UN News Center, thanks to GK for providing it:

Recent media attention has focused on the large number of stateless Muslim refugees making the perilous trip from northern Myanmar to Thailand in rickety vessels. UNHCR has recently gained access to 78 of the Rohingya boat people held in detention centres in the south of the country to determine their need for international protection.

Ms. Jolie noted that witnessing the Government’s hospitality towards the 111,000 mostly Karen and Karenni refugees over the years “makes me hope that Thailand will be just as generous to the Rohingya refugees who are now arriving on their shores."

In all honesty, she should have said SOMETHING about Rohingyas, but this "be just as generous" is a very provocative wording. Recent media attention focused on hundreds of dead people first and foremost, deaths that Thailand strenuously denies and feels very sensitive about.

She should have been more diplomatic. Her job is to create goodwill, not piss off people who are supposed to help.

Ms. Jolie .... "makes me hope that Thailand will be just as generous to the Rohingya refugees who are now arriving on their shores.

She subsequently has stated that she would like to have those 111,000 people released into Thailand:

Angelina Jolie : Jolie urges Thai Govt. to free Burmese Refugees locked in camps

of course now she's lamenting over the bad conditions of the camps... but just earlier she voiced the hope that Thailand could be generous enough to dump the Rohingyas into the same treatment received by current refugees.... :o ... so which is it? 06-1.gif

Edited by sriracha john

In all honesty, she should have said SOMETHING about Rohingyas, but this "be just as generous" is a very provocative wording.
:o

I totally agree, what AJ should have said is,

"To the honorable and most noble Thailand:

With your gracious permission, I would like to express my very humble and unworthy opinion with regards the Rohingya. I recognize the inferiority of this species and that Thailand has already risked severe dishonor in allowing them to set foot on Thai soil. However, I still feel compelled, I suppose due to some inherent error in my disposition, or mental disability, to compliment the Thai on their generosity with regard to Burmese refugees. Your treatment of the Rohingyas has also been most excellent. I apologize in advance for terrible insult i have imparted with my bout of verbal diarrhea."

What AJ should have said is "I hope the UN, Thailand, and all involved countries can find a solution", not "Thailand should...".

Incidentally - where are the Rohingyas picked up by Indian Navy now? Where do they keep them, under what conditions? How many are they going to accept there and where they'd send them if they don't? How much food a water are Indians going to provide?

The position of the UNHCR is and has been for many, many years, that refugees should be allowed freedom of movement within the host country. That position hasn't changed, and she is simply reinterating it. Very, very few countries with significant numbers of refugees allow unrestricted movement within the country. They will, however, continue to try.

During the Vietnamese refugee crisis, Hong Kong had huge numbers of refugees and some rather massive and overcrowded locked facilities. Eventually, even HK opened a facility on one of the out-lying islands that had an open refugee camp. They really couldn't go very far, but they could walk around, grow some vegetables etc. At night they were locked in, but the atmosphere at the camp was in sharp contrast to the depression and oppression of the locked camps.

Ultimately, Thailand is the host to this large group of people and they have to reasonably make the best decisions they can for the people of Thailand as well as for the refugees. If a small amount of freedom can be granted, then good. If the Thai gov't decides against it, then it's final.

One of the problems this country faces is that because they aren't a signatory to the UN Convention on Refugees, the process of screening people to determine whether or not they qualify for political refugee status is obstructed. As a result, resettlement is not an easy option.