Where To Buy Books To Re-stock A Library

Hi all,

I am the Headmaster at a private school in Pattaya, and after months of nagging the management here, I have finally been given a budget to re-stock the library for our English Programme.

My question is..... Does anyone know where I would go to to buy new or used books wholesale?

I have spoken to our booksellers at Foyles, and been in touch with various other book suppliers but don't seem to be getting anywhere. One suggestion is to head off to Bangkok and go to Chatuchak Market and buy them by the case/pallet load.

Any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter what books do you want. language books or general books. more info needed. what's your budget?

Allan

Allan,

Thanks for the response.

I am primarily looking for general books (in English) as opposed to subject oriented books, though scientific or history/geography books would be good also. I believe the students would really benefit from some good reference books encyclopedias etc. as opposed to always going online.

I would also love to be able to get hold of some of the 'classics' - Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Robinson Crusoe etc.

With regards a budget, I haven't been set a maximum, and really have no idea what I would get for 100,000 or 200,000 baht, but as I say I haven't been limited by price so those numbers are just me wondering what I would get for my money.

Thanks

Peter

The purists will scream, but beginners and intermediates can benefit from abridged, illustrated versions of English and American classics. Available from Oxford and others, often just 99 baht new, slick and paperbacked, graded up to level 5 or higher in difficulty.

I would have to agree with PeaceBlondie as there is a wonderful selection of both classic and contemporary readers which have been graded to the linguistic competancy of the reader. This helps to eliminate a lot of the bordom and the pain in getting to grips with reading. I would recommend checking out the selection at pearson-indochina.com Tel:02681-5515 and ask for Alison's replacement (she's been promoted to Europe) :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

My name is Sam and I am a used book importer here in Bangkok. I saw your post and thought I should get in touch with you. My warehouse has TONS of used books right now. We have childrens books, text books, general interest books, dictionaries, atlas's, medical, etc. All books are second hand, in good condition, and are very cheap (our target price level is similar to Chatuchak weekend market). If you are interested please don't hesitate to contact me for more information.

I started selling books at my warehouse last year but have been in business for about 10 years wholesaling to Chatuchak and the Philipines. There are some pictures of my warehouse from a sale I did last year at www.Ds-Books.com/sale

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Sam Bechtold