Bangkok Buffs: Tell A Newbie Where To Find...

mp413

I would like to try and stock up on some things in Bangkok before moving up to Mae Hong Son, can anyone tell me a good shop where I can find (or best neighborhood to look for):

- some specialty groceries, i.e. good olive oil, parmesan, maybe some canned things like anchovies?

- cheap new or good used electric guitar and amp

- nice suits for hot weather (tailor maybe? is that doable in a few days)

- designer perfume, bath products

Also, is it feasible to ship some of this stuff up to MHS using Thailand's postal service? Is there some sort of preferable delivery service? Or should I just fly it up with me as excess baggage?

thanks!!

mp413

I would like to try and stock up on some things in Bangkok before moving up to Mae Hong Son, can anyone tell me a good shop where I can find (or best neighborhood to look for):

- some specialty groceries, i.e. good olive oil, parmesan, maybe some canned things like anchovies?

Also, is it feasible to ship some of this stuff up to MHS using Thailand's postal service? Is there some sort of preferable delivery service? Or should I just fly it up with me as excess baggage?

thanks!!

mp413

Villa markets for food stuff :o:D:D

In addition to Villa, there's Central Food Court - ground floor of Central Department Store, Chidlom ..... or Gourmet Market - Ground Floor of Siam Paragon will have everything you need for groceries, cheeses and your bath products etc

As for the suit - yes it's do-able in a few days, but do you really need to wear a suit?

thanks!!

mp413

Paragon Department store - basement level for special imported items / or villa as mentioned, foodland. You can find all your cosmetics in that mall as well.

Curious, but I don't think you will be wearing the suit too often in MHS, unless of course you plan on going to court alot.

haha - I hope you're right, but I'm a lawyer so afraid I may have to!

thanks for the feedback, really hoping for info about the guitar!

search on the website, if my memory is correct, just a week or so ago someone was posting stuff regarding guitars in Bangkok.

Do you wear your suit when you play? :o

thanks! first time to Bangkok, can you give me some idea where I can find this market? I will be staying near Ratchadamnoen Ave (near Democracy Monument). Thanks!

From Democracy Monument, going to Central Pinklao is quite convenient (unless is between 5/7pm!), they are starting a deli-corner and prices are always (a bit) cheaper than Chidlom. As well, there is a new Tesco just before it.

Music instruments shop, as well, on 4 or 5th floor.

villa supermarket opposite emporium near the Phom Phrong skytrain station for the food stuffs... if not - Central Food Hall in the bottom of Central Chidlom...

for the guitar stuff, i think either the music section of central or there is a music shop on the ground floor of phantip plaza.