How Many Farangs Have A Masters Degree?

jtp

I had a little look at one of the ads on Thaivisa(Kinda hard to miss them now...)called "Thailovelinks",and i thought to myself,what type of people use the internet to find a girlfriend/boyfriend?So i had a look at the men advertising on this site,and something odd stood out...Most had a MASTERS DEGREE?The majority of men on this site were from England,America,France and Germany,with a few from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand.One chap had a masters degree and owned a bar in Pattaya....Another was a thirty something year old teacher,yet another was a diver...! My question is-Did something change in the education world over the last ten years,that i don't know about?Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?I have only met two people whom i know to genuinely have masters degrees,one was a Chinese nurse,another was a fifty five year old Engineer.Are these people just full of it,or do they really have these degrees?How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does a J.D. (juris doctorate) count? I have one and I'm teaching. I might try to work in the legal field here, but teaching isn't a bad way to make a living. About 10% of the teachers with whom I work have a masters, and one has a Ph.D.

Can't say I've ever tried a dating site. Seems like a scam to me, but some say it has worked for them.

Does a J.D. (juris doctorate) count? I have one and I'm teaching. I might try to work in the legal field here, but teaching isn't a bad way to make a living. About 10% of the teachers with whom I work have a masters, and one has a Ph.D.

Can't say I've ever tried a dating site. Seems like a scam to me, but some say it has worked for them.

NO. :o Just joking. :D

You don't say how old you are or where you come from. But, it seems to me that you are somewhat "out of it."

When I was a young man, high school diplomas were becoming so common that you needed a college degree to stand out. Somewhere along the line, though, that changed and college degrees became very common. So, you needed a masters degree to stand out.

In the US military, masters degrees are an essential to the promotion process. I have seen details showing that Air Force majors eligible to Lt Colonel needed masters degrees to make that move. In the year in question, all majors that were promoted had masters degrees; not all masters degrees got the promotion but none of the majors without the advanced degree were selected.

If you look at business, many top executives now have masters - an MBA is almost a prerequisite. Wall Street and the big banks are crowded with MBAs.

To answer your question, though, I admit to having and MBA. Got it many years ago, when it was not so common.

I have an MSc in Microwave Engineering & Fourier Optics from University College, London...

I worked in the space/satellite industry for about 15 years before moving to Thailand and becoming a lounge lizard...

I do have a profile on TLL (for a bit of fun), but I have not yet find another rocket scientist on there...

Simon

Edited by simon43

I have an MSc in Microwave Engineering & Fourier Optics from University College, London...

I worked in the space/satellite industry for about 15 years before moving to Thailand and becoming a lounge lizard...

I do have a profile on TLL (for a bit of fun), but I have not yet find another rocket scientist on there...

Simon

Poor ole simon is a bit of space junk that landed in los :o

Not me, just a regular BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Bath UK).

Me too, nothing special, but I have, and am proud of it.

:D:D

As you should be,a fine achievement.

Thanks, it was in my day. :o:D

Mine too, these days you need a degree to get an interview as a bin-man garbage collection technician :D

You don't say how old you are or where you come from. But, it seems to me that you are somewhat "out of it."

When I was a young man, high school diplomas were becoming so common that you needed a college degree to stand out. Somewhere along the line, though, that changed and college degrees became very common. So, you needed a masters degree to stand out.

In the US military, masters degrees are an essential to the promotion process. I have seen details showing that Air Force majors eligible to Lt Colonel needed masters degrees to make that move. In the year in question, all majors that were promoted had masters degrees; not all masters degrees got the promotion but none of the majors without the advanced degree were selected.

If you look at business, many top executives now have masters - an MBA is almost a prerequisite. Wall Street and the big banks are crowded with MBAs.

To answer your question, though, I admit to having and MBA. Got it many years ago, when it was not so common.

Can i ask you what was required to achieve this?It's been awhile since i completed uni,and at the time a masters degree was at least another four years or could also be experience based,ie twenty years in a particular field would be considered a legitimate cause for obtaining a masters degree within an expediated period of say,one year?

Simon

Poor ole simon is a bit of space junk that landed in los :o

:D

Simon

How do you "shut down" your brain,after getting an education like that?? My mind wanders at one hundred miles an hour,sometimes i can't even sleep,i get so darn bored. :o

Nope, flunked uni - Best A' level was history at grade B

Sorry to hear that,were you able to achieve any success with any other areas of your life? Many people have flunked out,but have gone on to greatness.

There's been a profound inflation in academic awards in Britain - if that's where you're from - so it doesn't seem that improbable. The ex-polytechnics, in particular, hand out bullshit degrees at all levels to anyone who can bother to sit through the lectures/seminars. I was briefly involved in undergraduate awards at one of the better British universities (the department in which I worked was, I seem to remember, ranked 4th in the country) and the finals' board was a joke. If you hadn't been a complete arse, it was pretty difficult not to get a 2.1 and they moved heaven and earth to avoid failing a student.

Nope, flunked uni - Best A' level was history at grade B

Sorry to hear that,were you able to achieve any success with any other areas of your life? Many people have flunked out,but have gone on to greatness.

He must have been successful with something.....although he did flunk out with his first series of posts here on thai visa :o sorry misterpot, couldnt resist that opportunity.

I have a masters degree at ducking and diving.I got it at 14 years old, alongst with my street wise education.

Did me proud as i have retired at 49 and am considerably richer than yow.

BE HONEST,BE POSITIVE,BE TUNNEL VISIONED,

AND DO NOT LET ANY BODY STAND IN YOUR WAY

How do you "shut down" your brain,after getting an education like that..

I can't!! :o

I went on to study an MA in Thai Culture at Chulalongkorn in BKK (50% complete so far), plus doing an online MBA right now from IOTA in Oz land, plus looking after the hotel 24/7, plus looking after my mad ex plus plus plus...

My family are all academics. My father was a polyglot and language professor. He was writing academic papers until the day he died at 89 years..

I cannot imagine retiring!! There is always something to do and a new language to learn.

Simon

Edited by simon43

There's been a profound inflation in academic awards in Britain - if that's where you're from - so it doesn't seem that improbable. The ex-polytechnics, in particular, hand out bullshit degrees at all levels to anyone who can bother to sit through the lectures/seminars. I was briefly involved in undergraduate awards at one of the better British universities (the department in which I worked was, I seem to remember, ranked 4th in the country) and the finals' board was a joke. If you hadn't been a complete arse, it was pretty difficult not to get a 2.1 and they moved heaven and earth to avoid failing a student.

I'm am Aussie,not to be mistaken with sheep land AKA New Zealand... :o

I'm am Aussie,not to be mistaken with sheep land AKA New Zealand... :o

Trix is a true blue, dinky dye Ozzie Abordinginal, arnt ya trix?

How do you "shut down" your brain,after getting an education like that..

I can't!! :o

I went on to study an MA in Thai Culture at Chulalongkorn in BKK (50% complete so far), plus doing an online MBA right now from IOTA in Oz land, plus looking after the hotel 24/7, plus looking after my mad ex plus plus plus...

My family are all academics. My father was a polyglot and language professor. He was writing academic papers until the day he died at 89 years..

I cannot imagine retiring!! There is always something to do and a new language to learn.

Simon

A POLYGLOT,for all the people that don't know, is a person that speaks multiple languages,is that correct?