How Many Farangs Have A Masters Degree?

jtp

I had a little look at one of the ads on Thaivisa(Kinda hard to miss them now...)called "Thailovelinks",and i thought to myself,what type of people use the internet to find a girlfriend/boyfriend?So i had a look at the men advertising on this site,and something odd stood out...Most had a MASTERS DEGREE?The majority of men on this site were from England,America,France and Germany,with a few from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand.One chap had a masters degree and owned a bar in Pattaya....Another was a thirty something year old teacher,yet another was a diver...! My question is-Did something change in the education world over the last ten years,that i don't know about?Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?I have only met two people whom i know to genuinely have masters degrees,one was a Chinese nurse,another was a fifty five year old Engineer.Are these people just full of it,or do they really have these degrees?How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

I have a master degree in a business related subject from a top British university. It certainly has helped me workwise. I'm not (yet) on Thailovelinks now, heading over to "have a look" now (edit: unfortunately blocked by the firewall in my office).

cheers

nm

How long did it take to achieve?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an O'level in Woodwork, does that count?

BTW, Simon does have the accreditation he claims.

Sorry,what's an "O" level? Is that like,less then 1?

"O" level's pre-ceeded G.C.S.E's, chiang mai is showing his age :D

Well there you go! I didn't know that,so he has the equivalent of a high school degree?Is that like,in 1930 something..... :o

Yes indeed like, that's like, in er 1930's something. Nah, I've tried it and I really don't think it's a good idea to insert the word "like" into the middle of sentences. Anyway, feel free to call me Dr O if you want, but I prefer to be known as Woody! :D

I have an O'level in Woodwork, does that count?

BTW, Simon does have the accreditation he claims.

Sorry,what's an "O" level? Is that like,less then 1?

"O" level's pre-ceeded G.C.S.E's, chiang mai is showing his age :D

Well there you go! I didn't know that,so he has the equivalent of a high school degree?Is that like,in 1930 something..... :o

Yes indeed like, that's like, in er 1930's something. Nah, I've tried it and I really don't think it's a good idea to insert the word "like" into the middle of sentences. Anyway, feel free to call me Dr O if you want, but I prefer to be known as Woody! :D

Not everyone can appreciate my attempts at humour,sorry. :D

Spoke to a girl in Bangkok with excellent English skills, said she learned it at Nana University. Dunno if it was a Masters degree, though.

Mate,you have to stop getting so upset with the computer,look at yourself,you're a bloody mess! :o

I had a little look at one of the ads on Thaivisa(Kinda hard to miss them now...)called "Thailovelinks",and i thought to myself,what type of people use the internet to find a girlfriend/boyfriend?So i had a look at the men advertising on this site,and something odd stood out...Most had a MASTERS DEGREE?The majority of men on this site were from England,America,France and Germany,with a few from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand.One chap had a masters degree and owned a bar in Pattaya....Another was a thirty something year old teacher,yet another was a diver...! My question is-Did something change in the education world over the last ten years,that i don't know about?Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?I have only met two people whom i know to genuinely have masters degrees,one was a Chinese nurse,another was a fifty five year old Engineer.Are these people just full of it,or do they really have these degrees?How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

What about the genuine MBA holders from Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, Oxford, .... etc. - who ran/run the finance arm of the govts. of the countries you mentioned, esp. the US, who created a 50-75 trillion $ debt (and are trying to solve it with a 1-2 trillion stimulus) and are calling the bottom of the BEAR daily? Let's not even talk about Iceland, Spain, Italy and Greece.

In the 3rd world, the once perceived poor unfortunates who studied basic Econ-Biz-Fin in one-room schoolhouses are not feeling inferior anymore, and the ones with fake MBAs are laughing despite the pain the true MBAs have showered upon them.

In fact one legitimate American MBA holder was going on and on recently about how the US govt. has gone criminal in that it is not helping the homeowners to financially weather this current downwave.

He was shocked when I pointed out to him that THEY are helping the homeowners and helping them in spades, lavishly.

Say what, said he?

He got himself a bottle of Whisky when I pointed out that the HOMEOWNERS are the banks. Me and thee are just the home dwellers. We never did count.

The only exceptions are the ones who paid cash and own the home outright - in America this is rare! :D

As the downturn continues expect the US to overtake Russia & Nigeria in exporting criminals. Many, many will arrive here.

Fake MBAs, MSs, MTechs will be the least of our concerns.

:o

You don't say how old you are or where you come from. But, it seems to me that you are somewhat "out of it."

When I was a young man, high school diplomas were becoming so common that you needed a college degree to stand out. Somewhere along the line, though, that changed and college degrees became very common. So, you needed a masters degree to stand out.

In the US military, masters degrees are an essential to the promotion process. I have seen details showing that Air Force majors eligible to Lt Colonel needed masters degrees to make that move. In the year in question, all majors that were promoted had masters degrees; not all masters degrees got the promotion but none of the majors without the advanced degree were selected.

If you look at business, many top executives now have masters - an MBA is almost a prerequisite. Wall Street and the big banks are crowded with MBAs.

To answer your question, though, I admit to having and MBA. Got it many years ago, when it was not so common.

Can i ask you what was required to achieve this?It's been awhile since i completed uni,and at the time a masters degree was at least another four years or could also be experience based,ie twenty years in a particular field would be considered a legitimate cause for obtaining a masters degree within an expediated period of say,one year?

I dont know how it works in different countries, or with different subjects. But in the UK, to my knowledge, the steps usually are 1: Foundation Course (1 year), 2: Degree course (3 year. You need to complete the Foundation, which is why its classed as a 4 year degree course) 3: Masters (1-2 year).

I have BA(Hons)Fine Art. Could have spent just a further one year to do my Masters, but I went on to work in my chosen profession. I have various other certificates and academic qualifications, some for my career, but others just because I enjoy studying and furthering skills and abilities.

Dont know if more intensive in other countries or not. Not something i really think or talk about. Doesnt come up in everyday conversation for me, and most people i know have no idea of my academic qualifications, nor I them.

I have a masters degree at ducking and diving.I got it at 14 years old, alongst with my street wise education.

Did me proud as i have retired at 49 and am considerably richer than yow.

BE HONEST,BE POSITIVE,BE TUNNEL VISIONED,

AND DO NOT LET ANY BODY STAND IN YOUR WAY

Hey patklang,nothing wrong with people whom have minimum education,like i said before many many people have gone on to achieve all kinds of wonderful things,many DID NOT complete high school!My grandfather was responsible for some of the largest bridges in Australia,his schooling?Equivalent of primary school!Went on to become one of Australias finest Engineers.Many people are limited by funds,and are in no way less intelligent then a person with a masters. :o

Cheers for the kind words.I left school at 15 to work in the steel industry because i wanted to earn money to watch the mighty Stoke city,that was the only reason.Then some how i got into sales and finished national sales manager and spent a quid and saved a quid,and here i am now,other than the ex got 150,000 quid+ off me lol.Nothing again wizz kids but i think many young people went to college and uni because they were to shit scared to go into the big wide world.I was only too happy to mix it with the big boys and come out the tops.

... Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?

... How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

Hi tritexengineering,

I think it must be very different depending of the country.

I am from France and I got my Engineer diploma in Physics at 23 yo.

It took me 6 more terms of studies to get my Master in Optical/Physics at 24+

A few years later I know that students from my Engineer school

got the Master in Physics as an equivalence of the Engineer diploma... Too easy... :o

You don't say how old you are or where you come from. But, it seems to me that you are somewhat "out of it."

When I was a young man, high school diplomas were becoming so common that you needed a college degree to stand out. Somewhere along the line, though, that changed and college degrees became very common. So, you needed a masters degree to stand out.

In the US military, masters degrees are an essential to the promotion process. I have seen details showing that Air Force majors eligible to Lt Colonel needed masters degrees to make that move. In the year in question, all majors that were promoted had masters degrees; not all masters degrees got the promotion but none of the majors without the advanced degree were selected.

If you look at business, many top executives now have masters - an MBA is almost a prerequisite. Wall Street and the big banks are crowded with MBAs.

To answer your question, though, I admit to having and MBA. Got it many years ago, when it was not so common.

Can i ask you what was required to achieve this?It's been awhile since i completed uni,and at the time a masters degree was at least another four years or could also be experience based,ie twenty years in a particular field would be considered a legitimate cause for obtaining a masters degree within an expediated period of say,one year?

I dont know how it works in different countries, or with different subjects. But in the UK, to my knowledge, the steps usually are 1: Foundation Course (1 year), 2: Degree course (3 year. You need to complete the Foundation, which is why its classed as a 4 year degree course) 3: Masters (1-2 year).

I have BA(Hons)Fine Art. Could have spent just a further one year to do my Masters, but I went on to work in my chosen profession. I have various other certificates and academic qualifications, some for my career, but others just because I enjoy studying and furthering skills and abilities.

Dont know if more intensive in other countries or not. Not something i really think or talk about. Doesnt come up in everyday conversation for me, and most people i know have no idea of my academic qualifications, nor I them.

I am sure that different countries do not hold to the UK system, ie the '4 year' degree course, I have worked with many Americans who have degrees and I am sure they told me it was three years (please correct me if I am wrong) What we call Post-graduate studies are called Graduate studies in the US.

Oh, and No, I never bothered with mine, I have a degree in Electronic Engineering and a degree in Marine communications. The MA for these would have dragged me away from South East Asia and I just couldnt bear that in the 1980's.

regards

Freddie

I haven't got a degree and met my wife at TLL, best woman Ive ever met.

I haven't got a degree and met my wife at TLL, best woman Ive ever met.

That's great,just goes to show that the internet is a very helpful tool in so many different ways! :o

... Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?

... How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

Hi tritexengineering,

I think it must be very different depending of the country.

I am from France and I got my Engineer diploma in Physics at 23 yo.

It took me 6 more terms of studies to get my Master in Optical/Physics at 24+

A few years later I know that students from my Engineer school

got the Master in Physics as an equivalence of the Engineer diploma... Too easy... :D

Frustrating hey! :o

Yes, a polyglot is someone who is fluent in many languages. My father grew up in Eygpt in an English household, going to a French school and speaking/writing Arabic for everything else. He went on to become a professor of Scandanavian languages at a UK university.

He often told me that a language was easy to learn once you had mastered the first 10! Both my brothers are Cambridge graduates, with one being mentored by Steve Hawking (clever chap).

I have no reason to doubt it,certainly his posts point to him being an educated man.

Regretfully, holding academic qualifications does not make one a clever person! Although I have used my intelligence in past years to establish my own businesses and manage them through to multi-million $ sell-out, I still got duped (like many before me) in Thailand!!

Now I am pretty poor (financially-speaking). But I am much the richer due to my 'ups' and 'downs' and in spite of all my personal problems in Thailand, I am very happy with life :D

Simon

Are you referring to Professor Steven Hawking??Impressive.Being happy with your life is more important then ANY qualification or wealth.

Thats him Trix....hes a smart chap....hes got brains on his <deleted>. :D Its his mechanical voice that scares me :D

If you don't mind me asking why did the Australian Medical Board rip up your Masters Degree?

They found out his real name was Dr Patel......... :o

Yes, trix knows me, its a long story but I had a series of patients that died over a short period of just 3 or 4 years, they were sick people, very ill and naturally the dam_n relative wanted to blame me. Like most people, I guess i have made the odd mistake, i mean who hasnt amputated a leg before when a patient presents himself with tonsillitis, its an easy mistake, especially when I was overrun with work, they never considered that did they. They ran a witch hunt and the BIB & the medical board investigated, so i quickly left Australia and sort Political Asylum here in LOS. It wasnt granted so now I just do border runs every 15 days. Anyway, such is life. THANKS for bringing this all up again tritexengineering :D

I am hesitant to post and answer your question simply because number one I am new on this forum and number two because there is no way to verify what I say other than you psychically coming to my place of employment and speaking to the head of my department or sending you a copy of my transcripts which I would be very reluctant to do. But since you asked I have an M.D. as my base degree, my specialty degree in medicine is a Psy.D. which is a Doctor of Psychology or professional doctorate in Clinical Psychology if you prefer and a Ph.D. in Eastern Philosophy. Most people ask me what I am doing in Thailand the simple answer is I worked at a level one trauma center for 8 years and I did my internship and residency in a level one trauma center thus I am burned out on the horror people are capable of doing to each other and I had to get out before I needed a psychiatrist.

I received my masters while a captain the the Marines. I earned it for the very reason which you state. In my case, though, I found out I really enjoyed the academic life, so I left active duty to pursue my doctorate. I became a professor before moving into the business world.

I kept my reserve commission, though. In the Corps, after a promotion board, they publish all sorts of statistics on the board. As an infantry officer, I was one of about 25% who were selected for colonel. However, there were 13 lieutenant colonels up for promotion who had doctorates. Of those 13, 12 of us were promoted. Nice odds if you have a Ph.D.

I am hesitant to post and answer your question simply because number one I am new on this forum and number two because there is no way to verify what I say other than you psychically coming to my place of employment and speaking to the head of my department or sending you a copy of my transcripts which I would be very reluctant to do. But since you asked I have an M.D. as my base degree, my specialty degree in medicine is a Psy.D. which is a Doctor of Psychology or professional doctorate in Clinical Psychology if you prefer and a Ph.D. in Eastern Philosophy. Most people ask me what I am doing in Thailand the simple answer is I worked at a level one trauma center for 8 years and I did my internship and residency in a level one trauma center thus I am burned out on the horror people are capable of doing to each other and I had to get out before I needed a psychiatrist.

Very few people believe anyone here! I had posted once in a thread about weightlifting, yet at a TV get together, I had two people tell me they assumed I was fat and out-of-shape, and I had just been BS'ing in the that thread. And after I posted some photos of me in my gallery, with a couple of them in uniform, I was told that some people hadn't believed I was a Marine until I posted them.

I know a woman who people were convinced was a man.

You can't worry if people believe you or not. We all use TV for various reasons, and we all get good out of it, or we wouldn't post. So post away and don't worry about whether anyone believes you or not.

Very few people believe anyone here! I had posted once in a thread about weightlifting, yet at a TV get together, I had two people tell me they assumed I was fat and out-of-shape, and I had just been BS'ing in the that thread. And after I posted some photos of me in my gallery, with a couple of them in uniform, I was told that some people hadn't believed I was a Marine until I posted them.

You can't worry if people believe you or not. We all use TV for various reasons, and we all get good out of it, or we wouldn't post. So post away and don't worry about whether anyone believes you or not.

On that note, it probably a good idea to point out that my previous two posts were a joke, something that has been ongoing between me and the OP. However, we shouldnt really joke about it because its is a real story, something most Australians know about, but I am not the infamous doctor in question.....& I hope the comandos are not on their way to kick my door in :o

Edited by neverdie

The twisted psychology of internet forums : if you are to have a "socially acceptable" experience, you have to establish what is the average common denominator of individual represented on the forum, then make sure you NEVER mention anything you may have acquired, or may have achieved that exceeds the achievements and acquisitions of this average individual.

:o

On that note, it probably a good idea to point out that my previous two posts were a joke, something that has been ongoing between me and the OP. However, we shouldnt really joke about it because its is a real story, something most Australians know about, but I am not the infamous doctor in question.....& I hope the comandos are not on their way to kick my door in :D

They are on the way....RUN! :o

I'm on my way,have those documents ready!! :o

One has to admit though, that it is hard to believe that a psychiatrist would mispell "physically" as "psychically".

Edited by Groongthep