How Many Farangs Have A Masters Degree?

jtp

My God, Caf -- you really are screwed up.

Just read your recent posts and replies to other posters. This isn't really your subject is it?

To be fair, I'm only here for the burger threads.

Edited by polecat

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am certainly not Ivy tower types, the doctorate, in my case, only means I am stubborn. I had the time, the money and wanted to hold the highest degree possible in my field...

I have found most "Ivy tower types" to be stupid to the point of being mentally challenged about real life and everything other than their particular subject. I can think of nothing worse.

Is it fair to assume that, paraphrasing your post, you mean that you do not have a higher degree?

No it isn't. I am not talking about people with degrees. They are as common as toast these days. I am talking about people with nothing but degrees! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Spoke to a girl in Bangkok with excellent English skills, said she learned it at Nana University. Dunno if it was a Masters degree, though.

a mistress's degree

Edited by BusyB

I have an MSc in Microwave Engineering & Fourier Optics from University College, London...

I worked in the space/satellite industry for about 15 years before moving to Thailand and becoming a lounge lizard...

I do have a profile on TLL (for a bit of fun), but I have not yet find another rocket scientist on there...

Simon

How do you "shut down" your brain,after getting an education like that?? My mind wanders at one hundred miles an hour,sometimes i can't even sleep,i get so darn bored. :)

Education provides signposts but that's about it. The rest, as they say, is up to you.

Drinking draught lager is quite therapeutic and whilst under the influence you can always have altenative conversations with whomsoever adopting polarised views not necessarily one's own. You never know where it might lead and sometimes it's quite pleasant getting there. Bangkok is a great place for such cerebral doodling in my experience and when the exercise tires just pick up a Daily Mail and remind yourself why you're there.

M.A. (St. Urbation College, Oxon)

There is no such college in the University of Oxford.

Only graduates from one of the Oxford colleges in the collegiate system can put Oxon after their names and claim to have an Oxford degree.

A degree from a college located in Oxford is not a degree from the University of Oxford.

I am certainly not Ivy tower types, the doctorate, in my case, only means I am stubborn. I had the time, the money and wanted to hold the highest degree possible in my field...

I have found most "Ivy tower types" to be stupid to the point of being mentally challenged about real life and everything other than their particular subject. I can think of nothing worse.

Is it fair to assume that, paraphrasing your post, you mean that you do not have a higher degree?

No it isn't. I am not talking about people with degrees. They are as common as toast these days. I am talking about people with nothing but degrees! :)

Good point. Your previous posts came across, unintentionally I am sure, as sour grapes. Some people work hard for degrees and deserve them; others have degrees thatb aren't worth the paper they are written on. As I say, you have a point.

Only graduates from one of the Oxford colleges in the collegiate system can put Oxon after their names and claim to have an Oxford degree.

A degree from a college located in Oxford is not a degree from the University of Oxford.

Let me guess caf. You have a PhD in Developing Urban Housing.

I figure that makes you Dr. Duh

Polecat is having a laugh. Try and figure it out.

Edited by Phatcharanan

In Canada a Masters degree is 7 years University..I only have a bachelors degree ( 5 years.. in Education and History) and a diploma in special education ( 1 year..one can only can do the diploma after the 5 year degree) ,but since the wage difference is very small between a Masters and my situation, and I was not going into administration, this was the best route for me..incidently, I also have a 4 year trade ticket.. (carpenter) whatever..the most successful people in the world did not go to University..its just that it has worked well for me, as I am of average intelligence..and I married a conservative, wonderful Thai lady..

You just made my day, Caf, you old fruit loop.

Let me guess caf. You have a PhD in Developing Urban Housing.

I figure that makes you Dr. Duh

Polecat is having a laugh. Try and figure it out.

Good one Polecat. :):D

• 3 weeks later...

I went to one of the top rated party schools in the US ( Playboy magazine yearly rating )

GI Bill paid me to learn how to roll the best doobers, drink upside down from a keg, jello shooters, and judge breast size with my tongue. ( well, the University of Gravity, Benning School for Boys at Ft. Benning, Ga. taught me these things prior )

That was worth more than the paper they handed me when I was finished.

Arizona State University ( 78 ) BS, Biology.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be one of the oddballs being second born. Did Public School (UK) no uni. but made it into management and have never been unemployed in nearly 40 years of working, mostly in international commerce. So I guess I qualify for a Masters in the Uni of Life. I do however have utmost respect for people of my age who made up the 5% or so Brits who got basic degrees, and even the 50% or so nowadays who go on to graduate. Well done to all of you.