China, Where Are You?

cdnvic

I realize they're donating about $60m, but they've hardly taken the leadership role that you'd expect considering their rising economic prowess and ambitious economic goals in the region.

Money aside, China has considerable airlift and shipping capacity that would be very useful right now, but they seem to be taking a backseat to most others here.

cv

When you look at it objectively. No country is really taking a 'leadership role' .

US aircraft carriers look nice, but aren't really designed to distribute aid. - a roll-on -roll-off ferry would be more practical.

I don't count this bidding war over which country is going to pledge most as representing 'leadership'. History shows that pledges are often ignored after the cameras are switched off.. ...

That's why Kofi Anan is trying to get the CASH in NOW! 

Neither China or America want to take the 'lead' here, in case it affects the USD.  :o

The Chinese want it to go UP and the USA want's to keep it DOWN.

very good point! if not the best I've read today!

pledges are pledges - but CASH NOW - is different !

perhaps we'll witness new bidding game with this new, different name - not pledges?

BTW - you fogot to mention - Kofi Ana said exact figure of CAsH NOW needed :

1$bln !!! let's see who is up to it ? that would be the real in time help !

Edited by aaaaaa

When you look at it objectively. No country is really taking a 'leadership role' . 

US aircraft carriers look nice, but aren't really designed to distribute aid. - a roll-on -roll-off ferry would be more practical.

I don't count this bidding war over which country is going to pledge most as representing 'leadership'. History shows that pledges are often ignored after the cameras are switched off.. ...

Whatever would be "best" according to your "expertise" I'm sure, it IS the American military in conjunction with Australian aircraft that is getting the aid delivered.