International Dell Warranty Support In Thailand

Morien

Hello,

I will be moving to Thailand soon and am going to buy a laptop before I come (it will be cheaper for me here).

I was looking at the Dell Latitude E6400, which comes with a 3 year Next Business Day Onsite Service Warranty and I will also buy Complete Cover. Will the warranty still be onsite in Thailand? And will the Complete Cover be valid there?

Thankyou

Michael

I bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop in England. Here they could not supply me with a new keyboard for that model. My partner and I had two laptops and a desktop between us all Dell. Several attempts to get spare parts from them all with the same negative result although I did once manage to purchase a new battery for my laptop. Now I am rid of all my Dells and I would not consider one again. The service here in Thailand for the personal user is non existant.

Maybe you could consider an IBM Thinkpad. (Lenovo). I bought one in the US specifically because of the three year international warranty. After two and a half years I started having problems. I was surprised to learn that nearly every city of any size has an authorized repair facility. As it turned out I took it to Udon Thani and three days later it was repaired. The main board had failed and was replaced. No charge and no hassle.

Thanks for your replies.

One of the reasons that I was going the Dell was that I had heard negative things about obtaining international support for the Lenovo. The Dell that I'm looking at is sold in Thailand, so spare parts aren't an issue. In regards to the Lenovo though, I'll be staying in Tak mainly. Is there a list of service centers for Lenovo (or Dell) so I know that I'll be covered there?

GungaDin: Yep, emailed them. Thanks

Just an update. I posted over at the ThaiDellClub.com forums and was told that if I buy the laptop in Aus and use it in Thailand all I need to do is transfer the warranty at www.dell.com/dhs/globaltagtransfer . This will also have an onsite service :o

A few months ago there was an article in Bangkok newspapers about several new Dell computer stores that were scheduled to open soon -- I think one had already opened at some obscure Mall that I never heard of and several more were to open by the end of '08 --

Has anyone seen any of these outlets, and if so, do you know how to contact one?

Failing that, is there any source of Dell desktop PCs in Thailand?

Hello,

I will be moving to Thailand soon and am going to buy a laptop before I come (it will be cheaper for me here).

I was looking at the Dell Latitude E6400, which comes with a 3 year Next Business Day Onsite Service Warranty and I will also buy Complete Cover. Will the warranty still be onsite in Thailand? And will the Complete Cover be valid there?

Thankyou

Michael

Check the wording of the warranty and cover you are buying. Dell sell a variety of options, some of which will cover you in Thailand and some won't. I've have no problem getting Dell support on a failed laptop here that was purchased overseas with the correct Internationally valid cover.

What service? Worst computer brand on the planet. I would not event get one if they were free.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop in England. Here they could not supply me with a new keyboard for that model. My partner and I had two laptops and a desktop between us all Dell. Several attempts to get spare parts from them all with the same negative result although I did once manage to purchase a new battery for my laptop. Now I am rid of all my Dells and I would not consider one again. The service here in Thailand for the personal user is non existant.

Gary A: Yeah, I used a Lenovo tonight and now I'm really thinking the T400 is the way to go.

Would you have a list of where the authorised repair centers are? Was there any in Tak?

Thankyou

My Thinkpad is a T43p with all the bells and whistles. My previous Thinkpad was a 600. I used it for about 6 years with no problems. When the keyboard failed, I used a remote keyboard. I finally bought the new T43p and gave the old 600 to a Thai friend of mine. He is still using it. (At least eight years old) I was quite disappointed when the T43p had problems at two and a half years but the warranty was good and it now has a new mainboard. How long it will last now is anyone's guess.

This link should answer any service questions.

http://www.ibm.com/planetwide/th/

"Worst computer brand on the planet. I would not event get one if they were free."

I have two Dells -- one for five and one for six years -- Virtually trouble free -- only one hard drive failure at year four -- ( meanwhile, a friend in Pattaya has been through three locally built PCs in five years )

I also built and managed an IT operation in the States that had over 60 Dells -- Very few problems with any of them and only minor expected problems when they did occur --

Likewise with ThinkPad in the USA I've good service experience in Thailand as well... I have an 8 year old T20, 6 year old X40, 2 year old X61 and a new R61 (all still running). The R61 has a 3 year warranty and last month I spilled whiskey into the keyboard... brought it to the IT mall (Oasis) in Koen Kaen and the next day the keyboard was replaced... no charge even after telling them the truth about what happened.

Below is the newspaper promo from Sept. '08 on the new Bangkok Dell shops

My understanding is that the first shop was opened at "IT Mall and IT Zeer Rangsit" -- Zeer Rangsit appears to be North of the Don Muang airport --

I have not been able to find any new information since then -- It appears that they had a fairly ambitious plan to open more shops -- If anyone has information on any Dell shops, it would be appreciated --

To expand its distribution channel in response to consumer demand, Dell has set up a Dell Shop, which will offer configure-to-order desktop and laptop computers for the first time to consumers in Asia. It has also announced new laptops and Net books.

Dell Corporation (Thailand) managing director Anothai Wettayakorn said the company will expand its business in the consumer market. It will allow end users to purchase customised configure-to-order (CTO) or build-to-order (BTO) products from the Dell Concept Store or Dell Shop, which will be opened early next month. Thailand is the first Asian country where Dell will provide the BTO option and distribute its products via Dell Shops.

In the initial stage, the company will set up five Dell Shops at Pantip Plaza, IT Mall and IT Zeer Rangsit. It plans to set up 20 Dell Shops countrywide by the end of the year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/option/pri...newsid=30084722

The Dells are manufactured in Penang, Malaysia -- I assume this means there is fairly high duty on importing them into Thailand --

A friend suggested flying to Penang and bringing one back in luggage -- If anyone has knowledge on Dell prices in Malaysia it might be interesting to explore this possibility -- I understand that flights to Malaysia are quite inexpensive --

A few months ago there was an article in Bangkok newspapers about several new Dell computer stores that were scheduled to open soon -- I think one had already opened at some obscure Mall that I never heard of and several more were to open by the end of '08 --

Zeer Rangsit being the obscure Mall l imagine... :o  

A lot of new shops open at Zeer lately. Can't recall if there is a Dell Shop amongst them although there is a JIB notebook shop selling Dell. If I'm past there during the week I'll take a look for you. I think there is now a Dell shop on the 4th floor of Fortune next to Synnex.

Dell in Malaysia or Singapore could be an option I suppose depending on FX rates. There are a couple of Dell authorized outlets in Penang. Locations and prices are on the website.

http

://www1.ap.dell.com/content/default.as...l=en&s=dhs

Hello,

Thankyou

Michael

Quick answer is YES 100% sure as I bought my wife an xps1330 and it had 3 years international. You have to send dell an e mial and tell them on a special e form and thats it. Ive called them out in Thailand and it was fine.

"Worst computer brand on the planet. I would not event get one if they were free."

I have two Dells -- one for five and one for six years -- Virtually trouble free -- only one hard drive failure at year four -- ( meanwhile, a friend in Pattaya has been through three locally built PCs in five years )

I also built and managed an IT operation in the States that had over 60 Dells -- Very few problems with any of them and only minor expected problems when they did occur --

Ditto with me 2 xps 1330 any problems quickly fixed for 3 years on site next day at home warranty. Good service in Thailand too

We recently ran into that issue. We needed a hard disk replaced under warranty in Thailand when the server had been purchased in the US.

The procedure is to have the Dell representative in the US transfer the service contract to Dell Thailand. After that, Dell Thailand can service your equipment under warranty.

A bit of a hassle, but there is a standard form they fill out to do this. I suggest you contact the place where you purchased the equipment and ask them about how to transfer the warranty.

Yes, Dell is the standard when it comes to hosting. I also manage an operation (600+ Dell servers) in the States and it's been Dell all the way for 8 years now. We never buy the extended warranties... the servers just keep on going and going and going.

"If I'm past there during the week I'll take a look for you. I think there is now a Dell shop on the 4th floor of Fortune next to Synnex."

If you have the time and are able to locate one of these elusive Dell shops and could get a phone number or e-mail contact, that would be great! -- Thanks!

"There are a couple of Dell authorized outlets in Penang"

I couldn't find the Links to the outlets, but did find one Link to on-line prices of two basic Dell PCs that worked ( three other pricing Links were obsolete )

Prices are comparable to current prices in the States --

If one of the Bangkok Dell shops is located, it would be interesting to compare Thai pricing.

1500 MALAYSIAN RINGGIT (MYR) = $412.60 US DOLLAR (USD) [ 14,441 Thai Baht ]

2100 MALAYSIAN RINGGIT (MYR) = $577.64 US DOLLAR (USD) [ 20,217 Thai Baht ]

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/p...;l=en&s=dhs

If anyone finds the Link to the Penang outlet shops, please post it -- Thanks

"There are a couple of Dell authorized outlets in Penang"

If anyone finds the Link to the Penang outlet shops, please post it -- Thanks

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/topics/microsite/en/retail?c=my&cs=mydhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Checking out the site map link in any website turns up all sorts of information.   :o  I'd ring before making any trip to Penang though to see if they sell desktops.

Some Dell products are available at Power Buy. Power Buy Dell

I checked both Power-Buy outlets in Pattaya -- only one "baby" Dell -- very basic specs -- 16K Baht with only DOS ( does anyone still use DOS??? :o ) --- doubt they'll sell even one -- H/P, Acer, and locally built PCs run circles around this Dell, with better specs and lower prices --

It will be interesting if any pricing from the elusive Bangkok Dell shops emerges to be compared with Penang Dell and H/P and Acer prices --