Beads, Beads, Beads: Who Likes To Make Jewelry?

Soulwy

In a week I will be heading for Thailand. I want to spend my energy on beads, making necklaces is my hobby.

I am planning to circle around Chiang Rai, but I haven't booked a ticket BKK-CR yet. So anyplace is possible (no big cities though) Maybe I am just waiting to find the best place for finding the most beautiful beads :o

Do you also like to bead? Which are your favourate (online) beading suppliers?

I love Thai silver beads and gemstones, I hope to find them during my stay.

Is it easy to buy beads supply online?Also from neighbouring countries?

Are there online beading forums in Thailand for English speakers?

Hope to find some beading buddies here!

Let's Bead 'n Roll!

There is an international jewellery show in Bangkok around the end of February. You can purchase all types of beads and findings at wholesale prices, but you don' t have to buy large quantities. Register for the show from your home country, and a show package will be waiting for you when you arrive at the show.

This show is like a museum because there is such an array of products put together under one roof Even if you decide not to purchase anything (which is hard to resist) you can get some new ideas.

I saw the sign for the gems fair, looks fun and dangerous :D

You should also find some really cool beads up north with the hill tribes having some great beads. Can't help you with the ticket I am afraid, but have fun :o

The back of KS Road there are numerous wholesale shops selling beads, clasps & various other items for making jewelery. Also the amulet market near the grand palace also sell interesting beads & centerpieces for necklaces & bracelets.

In a week I will be heading for Thailand. I want to spend my energy on beads, making necklaces is my hobby.

I am planning to circle around Chiang Rai, but I haven't booked a ticket BKK-CR yet. So anyplace is possible (no big cities though) Maybe I am just waiting to find the best place for finding the most beautiful beads :o

Do you also like to bead? Which are your favourate (online) beading suppliers?

I love Thai silver beads and gemstones, I hope to find them during my stay.

Is it easy to buy beads supply online?Also from neighbouring countries?

Are there online beading forums in Thailand for English speakers?

Hope to find some beading buddies here!

Let's Bead 'n Roll!

There are some great bead shops in the Thai market in Chiang Mai... also quite a few gem shops doing beads (cheap!) and LOADS of silver/hilltribe stuff.... if you think you're coming to Chiang Mai, send me a PM and I'll give you a list... lots of the stuff you can buy here in Chiang Mai also comes form neighbouring countries. Haven't beaded anything much in ages (like since I cane to live here about 6 years ago) but ironically just last night set the intention to bead up a really gorgeous skirt... If you're here for more than a day or two, maybe you can inspire me.... Safe travels.

I booked a flight to Chiang Rai. I am sure superbeads can be find there as well. :o

Vital Girl: how come you haven't been beading since you're living in Thailand? Superbeads must be rolling all over the place ;-)

Beads in Bangkok (KS Road and jewellery show) is for the future!

Yesterday I made a necklace, and I was so tired I made the necklace too short! But how I enjoyed making it.

It is finished and I have to look at it over and over again. (I think we all think that our latest one is the best ever ;-)

And now I am brainstorming how to enlarge it professionally.

Not promissing, but I will try to upload pics of the ones I will make in Thailand. Feel free to upload yours, would like this very much

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I've never made jewelery but Im really interested in learning, anyone have any advice?

I have lots of time on my hands as I work in a quiet bar on Koh Phangan. I was thinking about learning how to make things, mainly just as a hobby, but perhaps in the future selling some jewelery in the bar if all goes well?

I dont get the opportunity to leave the island much, and of course its all more expensive here on the island , so wheres the best place to look for wholesale silver jewlery/beads/leather? Any online stores? Anything closer to Koh Phangan than Chiang Mai or Bangkok?

Also, it looks like I missed the show in Bkk in Feb, anyone know of any similar events in the future?

Thanks!

Thong, there are many tutorials online, also beading forums. That is how I learned it.

You say you live on an Island, I am sure people sell necklaces and stuff there, maybe you could ask them where you can get jewelry supplies.

• 1 month later...

my mother!!! of all people has discovered beads and has given me a mission which is when in thailand, buy her some beads (also for my daughter who does amazing unusual necklaces)... so anyone in korat know where in the the city/or bigC mall there are places that sell beads... im not a shopper so i need a one stop shop so i can do my mission and get back to village as husband also has no patience for shopping, nor a clue as to wear (i will be in may)...

thanks

bina

israel

(any photos of beads and what prices i can expect to pay?? )

I thought Sampeng was more interesting than Chatuchak (price wise, but you have to compare a lot. Wholesale price at Sampeng is about 30 baht by a total of 1400 baht) Freshwater pearls are cheaper. THe bigger the more expensive, not very logical, because the layer is most of the time just as thin. Or even damaged.

Oh the way the sellers give you wholesaleprice is after you've selected strings and then they give you discount. But be aware, once you put the strings in your basket they expect you to buy them. I had an angry face when I said the price was not good for me and that I can't buy before I know the actual price. Sorry...and I left ...

Chatuckak often sells stonebeads by weight.

Bought silver findings, wholesale price was cheaper than in Europe, but not amazingly cheaper (about 50 %) Maybe I missed the train.

Cheapest beads (stone) are from sellers just sitting on the street in Sampeng (no shop) Turquoise is most of the time dyed Howlite. And be aware, some shops have strings of plastic stone-look-alike beads (small ones) next to the real stones. Grab a bunch and feel if it's cold or not.

Anyone tips where to buy goldfilled (not goldplated) & silver findings?

Edited by Soulwy

my mother!!! of all people has discovered beads and has given me a mission which is when in thailand, buy her some beads (also for my daughter who does amazing unusual necklaces)... so anyone in korat know where in the the city/or bigC mall there are places that sell beads... im not a shopper so i need a one stop shop so i can do my mission and get back to village as husband also has no patience for shopping, nor a clue as to wear (i will be in may)...

thanks

bina

israel

(any photos of beads and what prices i can expect to pay?? )

Bina, I don't know about Korat, but in Chiang Rai city it was hard to find beads. Chiang Mai and BKK are the places I was pointed out. Maybe worth a trip?

The ex Mrs H2o had a couple of ebay shops selling beads and flowers etc. She used to go to BKK twice a month to get supplies. She found the best and cheapest around the China town markets. If you go to Yaworat, Spelling ? around half way down is a market on the left. There is a labyrinth of small soi's with hundreds of shops there. You buy them by weight. I often used to go with her and we would very often hit the market at 3 in the morning when it was quiet and things were just starting. Some amazing and beautiful things in some of the shops. It also makes you realise just how cheap things really are. I used to get a box of cheap sunglasses for 150 baht as I was forever breaking or losing them and paying 100-200 baht a go. That plus some really great food. :D The good old days :o

H20Dunc, there is "Farangprice" and a "Thaiprice" everywhere, the ex Mrs. is Thai? But I do agree, I like Chinatown.

Klikster mentioned the Wall/ Mahaesak Road to meet other jewelry making people. I think I have to make effort to go there in the evening and ask around for the best places for silver and goldfilled findings.

This is what I bought:

post-67111-1239596510_thumb.jpg

Silver from (I think) an Afghanistan woman at Chatuchak market. (total 5700 baht...about 2/3 of European price)

post-67111-1239596999_thumb.jpg

Dyed Howlite from a street vendor in Sampeng/ Chinatown, I think about 4 kg of stone...2600

post-67111-1239597064_thumb.jpg

Turquoise, 10 baht per gram/ 80 baht for this one (the woman told me it was 8, and her husband asked 10 baht, :o )

Now I think this also is dyed Howlite, it has a waxed feeling and the colour is pretty bright. Gotta learn a lot...but it's oke, it's my first buy.

I really like to learn more about gems, semi-precious ones to start with.

Edited by Soulwy

More pictures beads in Sampeng to give you an idea:

A beadshop & pearlshop. Seedpearls (freshwater) from 50 baht. About 8 mm from 80 baht, blisters 150 baht. This all varies, quality is low (the ones you buy from onlineshops e.g. Ayliss) Blisters around 200 baht, better quality at Matuchak for around 600-800 baht.

post-67111-1239598375_thumb.jpg

post-67111-1239598495_thumb.jpg

post-67111-1239598606_thumb.jpg

post-67111-1239598741_thumb.jpg

post-67111-1239598983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Soulwy

H20Dunc, there is "Farangprice" and a "Thaiprice" everywhere, the ex Mrs. is Thai? But I do agree, I like Chinatown.

Klikster mentioned the Wall/ Mahaesak Road to meet other jewelry making people. I think I have to make effort to go there in the evening and ask around for the best places for silver and goldfilled findings.

This is what I bought:

post-67111-1239596510_thumb.jpg

Silver from (I think) an Afghanistan woman at Chatuchak market. (total 5700 baht...about 2/3 of European price)

post-67111-1239596999_thumb.jpg

Dyed Howlite from a street vendor in Sampeng/ Chinatown, I think about 4 kg of stone...2600

post-67111-1239597064_thumb.jpg

Turquoise, 10 baht per gram/ 80 baht for this one (the woman told me it was 8, and her husband asked 10 baht, :o )

Now I think this also is dyed Howlite, it has a waxed feeling and the colour is pretty bright. Gotta learn a lot...but it's oke, it's my first buy.

I really like to learn more about gems, semi-precious ones to start with.

No the ex Mrs H2O was farang. She was not interested in semi precious stones or metals just butterflys, flowers, beads and other card making and craft materials. As said, I as farang, even bought a BOX of sunglasses for the price of a pair. The Chinese Thais don't, IMO, try to cheat or charge more. They were just happy to be selling on a regular basis. She made a good living running her shops as a hobby. :D

No the ex Mrs H2O was farang. She was not interested in semi precious stones or metals just butterflys, flowers, beads and other card making and craft materials. As said, I as farang, even bought a BOX of sunglasses for the price of a pair. The Chinese Thais don't, IMO, try to cheat or charge more. They were just happy to be selling on a regular basis. She made a good living running her shops as a hobby. :o

IMO...I didn't know there was a term for this...

I think I am blinded by too many bad experiences. I have to neutralise myself again.

Besides the traffic and air pollution and the fact I don't like cities at all, BKK has everthing to be creative. Fabrics, beads, buttons...I was really excited and only for the material I'd live near BKK.