Empty Fuel Tank!

junkofdavid2

Was very worried last night as I thought I had run out of gas a long way from home on the highway... 19 km to be exact.

My fuel tank light was already "on" saying my gas tank was empty. I pushed it till I got near home, only to discover that my usual gas station was closed (after 10pm)!

I was eventually able to get home, but was worried I wouldn't have enough gas to get to the station this morning.

Eventually, I luckily did get to the station and asked for a full tank... 60 liters! Wow! Really empty I thought.

But then I found out now that my fuel tank capacity (Toyota Camry) is actually 70 liters!

So my fuel warning light went on, then I drove 19 km... and then after that, I actually still had 10 liters left!

:D

Is this normal for fuel gauges and warning lights? :o

Was very worried last night as I thought I had run out of gas a long way from home on the highway... 19 km to be exact.

My fuel tank light was already "on" saying my gas tank was empty. I pushed it till I got near home, only to discover that my usual gas station was closed (after 10pm)!

I was eventually able to get home, but was worried I wouldn't have enough gas to get to the station this morning.

Eventually, I luckily did get to the station and asked for a full tank... 60 liters! Wow! Really empty I thought.

But then I found out now that my fuel tank capacity (Toyota Camry) is actually 70 liters!

So my fuel warning light went on, then I drove 19 km... and then after that, I actually still had 10 liters left!

I don't really understand. Did you try to start it after the light came on? Normally the light is on to warn you that the level is down to the last 10 or 15 litres. I can drive for about 75 kms after the light comes on. Fairly standard practice.

It came on first last night while I was driving home, on the road, moving. (Not during starting, and not before starting).

Then I of course shut off the engine at home last night as I got home, without being able to load any gas.

Then this morning, I had to start it while presumably "empty"; but no problem.

Looking in retrospect based on my car's estimated 8.4 km/liter, the light went on when I was down to about 12 liters left.

:o

Read your manual - my honda civic has "no more than 7.8 litres left", or something to that effect, after the warning light appears. So it could be less. I usually don;t leave it too long until I refill after the light is on. However, 60-70 kms should be possible, but I've never pushed it far. In contrast to my old mini - when the gauge read empty that really mean't empty - couldn't go more than a few kms.

Edited by culicine

I used have a BMW, the fuel and time/distance displays are the only thing I miss about that car. After a while with a new car you get a feel for when it shows the fuel warning light, but it's seldom wise to rely on it. Around town I like to have 1/4 tank most of the time, enough to keep going most of the week with normal work/shpping trips and get to a 24hr gas station if required.

On longer trips I will fill up when the gauge touches the 1/4 tank marker or before depending on time of day/night and where in the country I am.

I remember being in an old rental car within sight of the orange glow of Bangkok on the horizon, driving on smaller roads looking in vain for a gas station late at night, this was in the days (6-7 years ago?) that almost all were closed after 10pm due to the government's 'save fuel' campaign.

Sure...I have no problem with 75kms after the light goes on in my 2WD Vigo. Went as far as 102kms in my old Volvo. You call them warning lights - we used to call them idiot lights, for people who would never look at the guages and then complain when they ran out of fuel. But in the new terminology, yeah, the light comes on to give you a warning to find a place to top up the fuel tank.

Is this normal for fuel gauges and warning lights? :D

I have driven my Camry 150km's with the fuel empty light on! :o