Identity In Thailand

My gf really from thai yai (shan). So how am i suppose to go abt it?

She told me that she can only marriage to thai ppl.. Not other foreign..

It does not matter which group of stateless people she is from.

I will take a bit of an investigation to see if it is true that she can not marry a foreign person. She might be thinking of Burma because its against the law there.

We are all trying our best to accommodate this young romeo. However, the fact remains that unless somebody finds a way, she can't get an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry certificate, issued by competent authority, to register the marriage in Thailand. She can get married the traditional Thai way, but that will not be of any use for emigration to Singapore. The Myanmar (Burmese) Embassy is out. The pink Thai ID card only calls attention to the fact that she is a Non-Thai refugee with limited (or no) legal standing under the Thai system.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my take on the matter at the moment. You are committed to your girl friend or should I say bride to be. My plan is based upon you getting married but not in Thailand.

1. Obtain a Travel Document for Aliens from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. She falls under the stateless person category to get this. Link for more info: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2496

It will require contacting them to get a clarification of what documents are required.

2. Obtain a visa to Singapore for her. You will have to be her sponsor.

3. Once you both are in Singapore get married.

4. Apply for her permanent residency.

5. After she gets permanent residency she can get a Certificate of Identity valid for 5 years. (equal to a passport)

6. After 2 to 3 years she can apply for citizenship.

For 2,4.5, and 6 see this website for Singapore immigration. It takes a bit of looking around to find everything but it is there. Link: http://www.ica.gov.sg/e_services_overview....7&secid=296

Step one is the most important and will take the greatest amount of effort to get. Since it has to be otained from a goverment office and the documents needed from one or more also.

Here is my take on the matter at the moment. You are committed to your girl friend or should I say bride to be. My plan is based upon you getting married but not in Thailand.

1. Obtain a Travel Document for Aliens from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. She falls under the stateless person category to get this. Link for more info: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2496

It will require contacting them to get a clarification of what documents are required.

5. After she gets permanent residency she can get a Certificate of Identity valid for 5 years. (equal to a passport)

For 2,4.5, and 6 see this website for Singapore immigration. It takes a bit of looking around to find everything but it is there. Link: http://www.ica.gov.sg/e_services_overview....7&secid=296

Step one is the most important and will take the greatest amount of effort to get. Since it has to be otained from a goverment office and the documents needed from one or more also.

I quite afraid that she doesn't own all these document... And, if she's being caught how??

I quite afraid that she doesn't own all these document... And, if she's being caught how??

Read what I have changed to bold. She will not need all those documents only the ones for her qualification as a stateless person. I think she will only need "A Certificate of Alien with its copy".

Try callling them today and find out whats needed and reqquest an application form.

After you get past 1 the rest should be pretty straight forward. I will post links for every page on the immigration website that applies later.

I don't understand your question about being caught.

becuse, if she really an alien. I afraid that if i ask too much for the application. Then, the authority will send someone to arrest her.
You said she already has a red ID card so that should not be a big worry. The only problem would be is if she is not living where she is registered at without permission from what little information I can find.

Here are some more links for you.

These are all from the Singapore Imigration website. All contain links to application forms, chicklists and etc.

Visa: http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=168&secid=166

Permanent resident: http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151...150#eligibility

Certificate of Identity: http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=149&secid=74

Citizenship: http://www.ica.gov.sg/e_services_overview....5&secid=293

The visa would have to be applied for through the embassy in Bangkok. I gave you a link for it earlier.

You need to check on step one of my plan for any of this to work.

The problem seems very complicate. If you are really motivated with the girl and want to go deeper in this you should talk with somebody that deal with this issues everyday.

I know that the Salesian Missionary in Doi Saket has a lot of refuges in there that work and studies there.

Eventually, the priest apply for have citizenship for them, as soon as they are grown and ready for go into society and have a decent job, without being enslaved with black labour, prostitution etc... (it seems here a normal practice, expecially from thai-cinese people).

I would go there and ask of Padre Terio Tapay (wich I know personally), and see if he can give you an help you or redirect you somewhere.

good luck

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2496

Anybody can help me find this website written in thai pls.. URGENT!!

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2632.php

Lite Beer that one does not look right.

I am digging around the website in Thai to see if I can find a similar page.

Wilson1742 maybe you can have some one look around the website to find it in Thai.

Have a look at these two links: Myanmarese Refugees in Thailand and Migrant Workers, they are interesting. Apparently the pink Thai ID card your GF was issued, which allows her to work (sort of), classifies her as a migrant worker not a refugee within the Thai bureaucracy.

I am not sure it is the same pink card. The one mentioned in the article called it a labour card,

When I searching for info I found theat there were 3 registration cards that were issued when the Thai gvoerment did a count and registration of the hilltribes and others. They were blue, green and Red. With each color allowing greater freeedom of movement with Blue being the highest. Green and then red being the lowest meaning they could not leave the village where they lived without permission.

From every thing I have read she can be classified as a stateless person.

There are almost 400,000 listed and awaiting approval for Thai citizenship.

We are on post #84 of this topic and we still don't have even the most basic of information on the GF settled; such as ethnicity, nationality, color of Thai ID card (red or pink), status in Thailand (stateless, refugee or migrant worker) etc. The deeper we dig, the more unanswered questions we have. Winson1742 has been provided more than enough guidance and reference sources to pursue the matter.

to be honest- Winston

so many people are trying to help you out here by guessing parts of your problem

why don't you help yourself out by taking a photo of this pink card and posting the image on your next post

it's getting a bit ridiculous without simple info it would be the sensible thing to do and if you are concerned then cover the part with her name / number - the rest would be helpful

We are on post #84 of this topic and we still don't have even the most basic of information on the GF settled; such as ethnicity, nationality, color of Thai ID card (red or pink), status in Thailand (stateless, refugee or migrant worker) etc. The deeper we dig, the more unanswered questions we have. Winson1742 has been provided more than enough guidance and reference sources to pursue the matter.

He's from Tai Yai definitely.. And now she holding a pink identity card from thai authority.. So help am i suppose to help her?

He's from Tai Yai definitely.. And now she holding a pink identity card from thai authority.. So help am i suppose to help her?

Just keep moving forward like you have been. Try and find out her exact status. If she is amongst those registered as stateless people you can move ahead with step 1 that I suggested.

A translation of what it says on her ID card would help. Just knowing what department of the goverment issued it would tell you a lot.

There is an old saying that I like and it fits your situation. Where there's a will there's a way. I think you have will to do it so don't give up. And another is "Can't never did anything".

Now i've the scan id card but it abit blur... Second, i hadthe census registration which i don't what is it actually.. So what should i do next? As these are the only two things she had.

To me the census registration is good news in that it means she probably is one of those that were counted as stateless persons and is one of the many waiting for Thai citizenship. Is it jsut a peice of paper or is it a book?

That means also she is not considered a migrant worker as somebody posted earlier.

You need to try and get some information about the application process for the Travel Document that is number one on my list. There is a phone number given on the webpage for it try and call them.

It lists a Certificate of Alien as one of the documents needed that may be all she needs but you have to find out what it is and how to get it.

Now i've the scan id card but it abit blur... Second, i hadthe census registration which i don't what is it actually.. So what should i do next? As these are the only two things she had.

Go to the local Amphur (District Office) close to where she lives and see if you can ascertain her status in Thailand; stateless, refugee, migrant worker or illegal alien. Take an interpreter with you. You have to confront the Thai bureaucracy sooner or later. Are you both absolutely sure that this is what you want to do? I also know an old saying: Don't kick a temperamental dog when he's peacefully sleeping.