Save The Market

wjmark

On Saturdays and Sundays there is a great second-hand market near Prince Royal College.

It is held on Bumrungrat rd between Kaew Narawat and Doi Saket Kao roads. It also runs along one side of Doi Saket Kao rd.

I was talking to a friend who has a stall there, and he tells me that ChiangMai City govt has ordered the Doi Saket Kao section to be disallowed on Sundays. The vendors can still set up on Saturdays and Sundays on Bumrungrat rd, but can only set up on Doi Saket Kao on Saturdays.

Apparently the city says it causes a traffic problem on Doi Saket Kao.

I have been going to this market for years now, and there is virtually no disruption of traffic on that very wide street, and certainly not on Sundays when there is not much traffic anyways.

I don't know the logic behind the decision (or if anybody's palms are being greased), but this affects about a hundred vendors who set up along that part of the street.

It is a lovely market with all sorts of second hand items ranging from crafts to tools, clothes to motor-bikes (saw a Honda 70 there today for 9,000bt), art to junk, food to kitchen stuff (I have bought a few cast-iron woks there), bicycles to TVs, stereos to toys - almost anything else one could think of. It is also generally very cheap (I bought 6 25cm hand-carved little wooden gargoyle monsters for 100bt/6).

It would be a shame to see half of it gutted due to an officious bureaucratic decision.

This is people's livelihoods they are playing with, and with no clear reason to do it. To close half of it due to 'traffic problems' (which in my opinion don't exist) and to close it for Sundays, not Saturdays shows the ridiculousness of that decision. And with the economy crashing, it makes it even more important to keep as much commerce alive as possible.

Any ideas who I could contact, and if anyone else wants to jump in, that would be great to.

I suggest that people check out this market - so much different from the touristy Walking Street and Sunday markets. People always thank me for telling them about it...

On Saturdays and Sundays there is a great second-hand market near Prince Royal College.

It is held on Bumrungrat rd between Kaew Narawat and Doi Saket Kao roads. It also runs along one side of Doi Saket Kao rd.

I was talking to a friend who has a stall there, and he tells me that ChiangMai City govt has ordered the Doi Saket Kao section to be disallowed on Sundays. The vendors can still set up on Saturdays and Sundays on Bumrungrat rd, but can only set up on Doi Saket Kao on Saturdays.

I have been going to this market for years now, and there is virtually no disruption of traffic on that very wide street, and certainly not on Sundays when there is not much traffic anyways.

You're right, a great market with some great bargains. There are loads of vendors who would obviously not want to see their weekend income slip away. Thais love a 'mob' and know how to use it's strengh.

Rest assures the authorities will listen to the locals' voice when the time comes.

Regards Bojo

I don't know the logic behind the decision (or if anybody's palms are being greased), but this affects about a hundred vendors who set up along that part of the street.

It is a lovely market with all sorts of second hand items ranging from crafts to tools, clothes to motor-bikes (saw a Honda 70 there today for 9,000bt), art to junk, food to kitchen stuff (I have bought a few cast-iron woks there), bicycles to TVs, stereos to toys - almost anything else one could think of. It is also generally very cheap (I bought 6 25cm hand-carved little wooden gargoyle monsters for 100bt/6).

It would be a shame to see half of it gutted due to an officious bureaucratic decision.

This is people's livelihoods they are playing with, and with no clear reason to do it. To close half of it due to 'traffic problems' (which in my opinion don't exist) and to close it for Sundays, not Saturdays shows the ridiculousness of that decision. And with the economy crashing, it makes it even more important to keep as much commerce alive as possible.

Any ideas who I could contact, and if anyone else wants to jump in, that would be great to.

I suggest that people check out this market - so much different from the touristy Walking Street and Sunday markets. People always thank me for telling them about it...

This bothers me quite a bit. Though i no longer live in Cm i went here every weekend.

It was within walking distance from my mother-in-law's house and I had quite a few friends who sold things there (probably the ones selling that Honda C70). I will have to call some people up and ask what is going on and if it will be moved to a new location.

Edited by BlackArtemis

Count me in--I think it's a great market and just about anything can be found there--a bit like the old car boot sales in UK before all the traders descended selling crap--I have even used it as a place to sell stuff that's been getting in the way--plus, it's a great place to do a bit of haggling.

This bothers me quite a bit. Though i no longer live in Cm i went here every weekend.

It was within walking distance from my mother-in-law's house and I had quite a few friends who sold things there (probably the ones selling that Honda C70). I will have to call some people up and ask what is going on and if it will be moved to a new location.

Let me be clear about what I was told. They are only going to close the Doi Saket rd section of the market on Sundays.

The rest of the market will operate as normal. On Saturdays there will be the market on both roads, but on Sunday, only on Bumrungrat rd.

That means that about 1/3 of the vendors cannot set up on Sundays.

My market buddy is hoping it is just a prelude to some small fee, but that has not been mentioned - just that as of next Sunday, they cannot set up on Doi Saket - Saturday is no problem.

But yes, please check it out - if there is some way to sway opinion in city hall, then let's do it!

ps - hey Black Arty - I don't think it is the same people with the Honda 70. I think I know who you mean - they always have a few interesting bikes there (nice people too). They have a sweet Honda 70, but they want wanted 15,000 for it. They also have that gorgeously done up Chally (100cc modified) for 15,000. They shouldn't be affected by this new policy, as they are on Bumrungrat rd.

Let me be clear about what I was told. They are only going to close the Doi Saket rd section of the market on Sundays.

The rest of the market will operate as normal. On Saturdays there will be the market on both roads, but on Sunday, only on Bumrungrat rd.

That means that about 1/3 of the vendors cannot set up on Sundays.

My market buddy is hoping it is just a prelude to some small fee, but that has not been mentioned - just that as of next Sunday, they cannot set up on Doi Saket - Saturday is no problem.

But yes, please check it out - if there is some way to sway opinion in city hall, then let's do it!

ps - hey Black Arty - I don't think it is the same people with the Honda 70. I think I know who you mean - they always have a few interesting bikes there (nice people too). They have a sweet Honda 70, but they want wanted 15,000 for it. They also have that gorgeously done up Chally (100cc modified) for 15,000. They shouldn't be affected by this new policy, as they are on Bumrungrat rd.

yeah those are the people. Lek and his family. I built my Chaly (dream 100cc with a Cheer piston) with him and friends. I will have to send some E-mails. i can see them wanting to trim down the size, as it has increased 4 fold in the last year, but i hope it is nothing to hasty!