Retirment Vis Appl Options

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can help me with a few questions about the retirement extension:

My wife and I (Australian) are coming back to LOS to live in May. She is under 50, I am over. I have read that she will only be issued with an “O” visa. Does this mean she will have to leave the country every 90-days until I get my retirement extension? I’ve read conflicting views on this.

We want to bring back some furniture and personal effects and are not sure whether to:

Get a double entry tourist visa in Australia and extend for 30-days for each (as my wife may have to leave the country anyway) and transfer to an OA and O once we’re back and then apply for the retirement extension at the end of our 180-days. This would mean that we don’t have to tie up 800,000 Baht until 2-months before I apply for the retirement extension. (I think!) This would also allow us more time to bring in our furniture etc.

Or,

Apply for multiple entry OA and O visas in Australia. (Which means we have to show 800,000 Baht in our, presumably, Australian bank account to obtain the visas.) And then apply for the retirement extension before the OA and O expire. The negative with this seems to be we only have 6-months to bring our furniture in from the initial date of entry and have to have 800,000 Baht tied up for the initial visa application then again when we apply for the retirement extension. It seems we would also have to get police clearances and medical certificates, notary certified documentation to get the OA and O visas in Australia but not if we apply in LOS. Is this correct?

We’re a little confused about the regulations and the best way to go about this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My view is that the best option would be for you to both enter on Non O Visa. When you arrive you can apply for a 12 month extension for retirement, but this would require you to have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65,000 Baht monthly income or a combination of both.

Your Wife could then apply for a 12 month extension as your dependant. She would not need any financial requirements. She would not then need to do border runs. Any other options would need her to leave the country every 90 days.

These are the extension rules. 2.22 for you and 2.20(3) for your Wife.

Your wife can only get extensions when you are on an extension of stay also. She could get a multiple non-O, giving her almost 15 months before she will need a new visa. Your last option is the best, and yes you need to show the money in the bank in Australia.

The papers you mentioned you ned is for getting a O-A visa only, not for an non-O visa and you don't need them for an extension of stay in Thailand itself. Then you just need to show the money in a Thai bank for 2 months OR an incoem of 65,000 baht OR a combination of both totaling 800,000.

Regarding your personal belongings, it doens't matter. You do not qualify for inporting your household goods duty free. Just use a good shipping agent, who can negotiate a price for you.

Edit:

Agree with LB that getting a non-O for you both is easier.

You do have a lot of options. It is really what you prefer to do. You could get the O-A Visa in Australia and your Wife could get the Multi Entry Non O Visa but she would have to do a border run every 90 days.

I still think the 12 month extension in Thailand is best as she could stay for a year without having to leave.

I f you/she wanted to leave during the 12 months you can get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration.

My view is that the best option would be for you to both enter on Non O Visa. When you arrive you can apply for a 12 month extension for retirement, but this would require you to have 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65,000 Baht monthly income or a combination of both.

Your Wife could then apply for a 12 month extension as your dependant. She would not need any financial requirements. She would not then need to do border runs. Any other options would need her to leave the country every 90 days.

These are the extension rules. 2.22 for you and 2.20(3) for your Wife.

Thanks Lite Beer,

I can arrange the money, what is the normal length of a Non O visa as I would have to have the 800,000 in a Thai bank for 2-months prior to applying?

Your wife can only get extensions when you are on an extension of stay also. She could get a multiple non-O, giving her almost 15 months before she will need a new visa. Your last option is the best, and yes you need to show the money in the bank in Australia.

The papers you mentioned you ned is for getting a O-A visa only, not for an non-O visa and you don't need them for an extension of stay in Thailand itself. Then you just need to show the money in a Thai bank for 2 months OR an incoem of 65,000 baht OR a combination of both totaling 800,000.

Regarding your personal belongings, it doens't matter. You do not qualify for inporting your household goods duty free. Just use a good shipping agent, who can negotiate a price for you.

Edit:

Thanks Mario,

So we should have no problem getting a Non O for retirement purposes? Or do we need to say it is for some other reason? (I thought it had to be an OA for retirement.)

Edit:

Hi Mario,

Re: personal belongings. My transport agent said we would qualify for duty free if we import them within 6-months of retiring here. Is that incorrect?

Edit:

Thanks Mario,

So we should have no problem getting a Non O for retirement purposes? Or do we need to say it is for some other reason? (I thought it had to be an OA for retirement.)

I think if you want to be worry free just get the OA in your home country then your wife will have the same. All you have to show is 65k pension per month also this way if you work it right you can also make a run out of country prior to your one year OA expiring and you can get 1 additional year for free.............

Requirements for Duty Free Allowance

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption.

It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers.

Source : http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

Yes JohnC, but read on:

Requirements for Changing of Residence

Nonresidents: Nonresidents may import the used/secondhand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free if such household effects accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the requirements listed below:

Nonresidents resuming residents in Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in a passport or a Nonresident Identification Card; or

Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand will be regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:

(2.1) The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or

(2.2) The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

I think if you want to be worry free just get the OA in your home country then your wife will have the same. All you have to show is 65k pension per month also this way if you work it right you can also make a run out of country prior to your one year OA expiring and you can get 1 additional year for free.............

Thanks retiredusn,

I'm sorry but I don't understand this. (I'm obviously a virgin where Thai immi regulations are concerned!) How would I get one extra year for free?

R

Thanks Lite Beer,

I can arrange the money, what is the normal length of a Non O visa as I would have to have the 800,000 in a Thai bank for 2-months prior to applying?

It is 90 days. Yes 2 months.

Hi Ubonjoe,

I'm in Thailand at the moment but leaving in a few days. Have tried several times to open a bank account but no luck so far. How do I actually get the money into a bank account when I return? Will immi give me a letter I can give to a bank saying I'm allowed to open an account? I tried initially with a B visa but had no luck with that either. (No work permit.)

Thanks retiredusn,

I'm sorry but I don't understand this. (I'm obviously a virgin where Thai immi regulations are concerned!) How would I get one extra year for free?

R

I am not sure he noticed that your wife is under 50. He is writing about the O-A visa mentioned earlier.

Even if your wife was over 50 it would be 65K X 2 for two visas. A multiple entry allows you to leave the country and return for 1 year and get a 1 year permit to stay each time. If you make an entry the day before the visa expires you get another years permit to stay.

I am not sure he noticed that your wife is under 50. He is writing about the O-A visa mentioned earlier.

Even if your wife was over 50 it would be 65K X 2 for two visas. A multiple entry allows you to leave the country and return for 1 year and get a 1 year permit to stay each time. If you make an entry the day before the visa expires you get another years permit to stay.

OK, are you talking about a multiple entry Non O? Sorry, but I'm still confused about the Non O. It seems to be the best solution but I am trying to find out for what purpose it can be issued. I've just checked on the Thai embassy website and we only qualify for "Other". Can this be interpreted to mean 'investigate retirement'?

Joe was taliking about the muliple O-A, which gives you a year upon each entry.

The non-immigrant visa comes in different categories, like non-B for business and Non-O for other purposes, like marriage to a Thai, volunteerwork and retirement.

You could just apply for a multiple O based on retirement. That will give you 15 months opposed to the 2 years of a multiple O-A, but is easier to get.

OK, are you talking about a multiple entry Non O? Sorry, but I'm still confused about the Non O. It seems to be the best solution but I am trying to find out for what purpose it can be issued. I've just checked on the Thai embassy website and we only qualify for "Other". Can this be interpreted to mean 'investigate retirement'?

Retirement falls under the O category. You can tell them for retirement.

You would only need a single entry non-o. Don't get it confused with the O-A visa.

It would be best to apply for your visa at a consulate other than Sydney or the embassy.

Perth and Brisbane have been reported to give good service and you can do mail in applications to them.

Joe was taliking about the muliple O-A, which gives you a year upon each entry.

The non-immigrant visa comes in different categories, like non-B for business and Non-O for other purposes, like marriage to a Thai, volunteerwork and retirement.

You could just apply for a multiple O based on retirement. That will give you 15 months opposed to the 2 years of a multiple O-A, but is easier to get.

Thanks Mario,

That's a lot clearer now. I think we'll try for the 'O'.

Retirement falls under the O category. You can tell them for retirement.

You would only need a single entry non-o. Don't get it confused with the O-A visa.

It would be best to apply for your visa at a consulate other than Sydney or the embassy.

Perth and Brisbane have been reported to give good service and you can do mail in applications to them.

Thanks Ubonjoe,

Have you had any feedback about the consulate service in Melbourne?

Thanks retiredusn,

R

Yes. You can get the O-A Visa but your Wife will be stuck with having to leave Thailand every 90 days. Not a good option

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

Ooops ! my apologies I missed that bit, I am sure there is a similar regulation somewhere but cannot find it at the moment I know when I retired in 2006 it was quoted at me but in the end I felt it was too much hassle to ship furniture out so sold most of it and started again when i got here. Might be worth an e mail to Thai customs before they come out.