Re-entry Permit

I obtained my new work permit last week (28/12) for my new company and my B visa runs out on the 18th January so my work permit has been validated only to that date.

I am off to Penang on Monday for my 1 year Multi Entry visa, and a few people are telling me to make sure that i get a re entry stamp before i leave on Monday.

Why would i need this if i am returning with a new visa, to which then i can extend my work permit.

I'm confused! :o

Angie

You shall NOT have a re-entry permit in this case. The most important thing is that you must be sure to enter Thailand again before January 18, so you can visit the Labour Department, in order to extend the WP to match your new entry stamp's expiry date.

If you've already got a work permit, you don't have to leave the country at all, you can apply for an extension of your leave to remain at immigration and then an extension of your work permit to match it. Should be cheaper than going to Penang.

If you've already got a work permit, you don't have to leave the country at all, you can apply for an extension of your leave to remain at immigration and then an extension of your work permit to match it.  Should be cheaper than going to Penang.

Not unless you meet the income requirements. But if that is not an issue it would be much better to extend.

Yes, I'm assuming you could meet the income requirements.

But, if you're not paying for all of the Penang trip yourself, Angie, you may as well go there and get yourself a little holiday with the family, too. I don't know if your son needs to leave the country to get an 'O' visa.

Edited by paully

Thank for the reply's.

Yes we meet the income requirements, its our own company.

My son needs to leave to get his 'O" visa then we can change it to an 'E' visa for education.

I will put the trip through the books, a nice little break. :o

Angie

Angie,

It not only just the income requirement of 50,000 Baht for an European or a 2 million Baht registered company with 1 million working capital, its also having 4 Thai employees per foreigner that has a work permit. If your company has 2 foreigners working then you need 8 Thais employed in order to apply for extension of stay permit based on business.

As you can't meet those conditions, then you are getting a one year multi entry visa. The Consulate in Penang will not have as a criteria of you having 8 Thais employed to get the one year multi entry non immigrant "B" visa. They will want to see your work permit to get the "multi"

One side note, if you could of met these conditions then your son could get a extension of stay based on being an dependent. As you cannot at this time, he will get an education visa and then the extension of stay based on education.

I am off to Penang on Monday for my 1 year Multi Entry visa, and a few people are telling me to make sure that i get a re entry stamp before i leave on Monday.

You do not need a reentry stamp. This only applies if you had a single entry visa or extension of stay permit. With your brand new multi entry visa, you'll be able to go in and out of Thailand as many times as you like without ever having a rentry permit. Please be sure to be back in Thailand before the 18th and get the work permit extended for another 90 days.

If you can't be back by Jan 18th, be sure to have your work permit suspended till you get back. The Labor Dept will make a notation in your work permit book "PP"which means "pending passport. " When you reenter Thailand, you will have 5 days to extend your work permit. If you had not suspended it or extended it by the 18th, your work permit will have expired and you have to resubmit new paperwork.