Walen School Of Thai In Chiang Mai

MacWalen

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all the suggestions, will be checking thinks tomorrow and on Friday. I will also be looking for some responsible construction/renovation company soon. Someone who can start and finish the job, this construction job in Pattaya was a nightmare. Very irresponsible, but eventually was able to finish it. This time it should not take more than 3 months to fix the place once we start.

Thank you for all the suggestions, will be checking thinks tomorrow and on Friday. I will also be looking for some responsible construction/renovation company soon. Someone who can start and finish the job, this construction job in Pattaya was a nightmare. Very irresponsible, but eventually was able to finish it. This time it should not take more than 3 months to fix the place once we start.

You have no idea where you are renting space in the CM area. But you know it will take less than 3 months to renovate to your specifications?

Try Tannabon/Buidsabai. The company is owned by a Thai woman with a Masters Degree in building design and management from the States. Contact Dtim in their sales office (0815301132) who is also US educated and has excellent English skills.

You have no idea where you are renting space in the CM area. But you know it will take less than 3 months to renovate to your specifications?

I have a lot of construction experience having build 4 schools in Bangkok and one in Pattaya so once I have a place it should not take more than 3 months. So I know it based on my experience but it could of course be 4 months. Also registration with the ministry of education can take several months as it is a lot of paperwork.

Walen, www.thaiwalen.com

We've just moved out of 2B2 project, Soi 17 I think Sirimankalajarn. Great parking, office space for 40 staff. But the landlords were pure evil. Good space and if you get good lawyers to draw up an airtight contract (pm me for specifics if you need to) you may be happy there. Good location, etc. But please be warned about landlords. We were there two years, loved it, but had to move because of horrid landlord. So be warned...but worth looking at the space.

We've just moved out of 2B2 project, Soi 17 I think Sirimankalajarn. Great parking, office space for 40 staff. But the landlords were pure evil. Good space and if you get good lawyers to draw up an airtight contract (pm me for specifics if you need to) you may be happy there. Good location, etc. But please be warned about landlords. We were there two years, loved it, but had to move because of horrid landlord. So be warned...but worth looking at the space.

what happened to the Japanese Restaurant next to you? I think it was called Yati. It seems to be a furniture shop now.

The third and fourth floor of Kad Saun Gauw has so much empty space. I'd bet you could cut a great deal with the mall management just to fill space. It is central, has parking, and would be a breath of fresh air to have a "farang" based business there.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like we found our place! Opposite Kad Saun Gauw, lots of parking space. We have not signed a contract yet but hopefully this week. Took three trips to CM to find it. I will update on the progress. Now we are looking for a good reliable construction company and an architect. Any suggestions?

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

Looks like we found our place! Opposite Kad Saun Gauw, lots of parking space. We have not signed a contract yet but hopefully this week. Took three trips to CM to find it. I will update on the progress. Now we are looking for a good reliable construction company and an architect. Any suggestions?

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

That's a gd location. May i ask how long does it take to construct ur place? I need a visa & study Thai quite soon...

Hi macwalen,

Anything along Huay Kaew Rd will be a good location.

Kad Suan Kaew shopping centre(NW of moat) or nearby as there are many parking places in the shopping centre.

On the other hand, if your target group is CM residents, then how about Kad Farang at Hang Dong,which is 10km from CM. There is a Rimping supermarket there, lots of parking & maybe the rents are lower?

I think most CM residents either drive or ride big bikes.50/50%?

Cheers!

Thanks Nokia, we have called them and are going to meet with them this afternoon.

It is official now, we have signed a contract! Location: 12 Huay Kaew, 2nd floor. We have 200 square meters there. At the moment the place looks terrible.

Walen

www.thaiwalen.com

We would like to rent at first. Building takes too long. We would like to open the doors in May or June. I am not sure if that would be mostly new arrivals. We have actually a very mixed group of students. I would be looking at anything from 200-400 m2 if there is parking available. I found something very nice in road 1001 but not sure if that is not a little too far.

Well, since hiway 1001 is more than 100 kilometers long, it might a lttle be too far. I live at kilomet tii 2, and it is too far for KFC

Whaaaaat? Hey Larry....don't tell me you eat KFC....? With the home-grown Thai barbequed chicken available at every market.... and the chain of 'Gai yaang haa daw' too. I thought only thais went for that expensive rubbish drowned in batter.....

I did not have a look there yet, that is a great suggestion. Is AUA far from the city center?

Agree with an earlier post that Nimanhaeman is a good place, but at the opposite end to the Amari Rincome junction. There is a dance school and a Japanese restaurant with a huge parking area. It is also near the Canal Rd and contrary to another contributor is out of town and therefore popular with many new residents who dont go near the polluted centres.Many ex pats use bicycles also to get about.

Good luck I am looking for a course to undertake so pm me or contact [email protected] with details of your courses.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Chiang Mai residents, any suggestions as to the best location for the soon coming Walen School of Thai in Chiang Mai?

I think that the centre would be good but it is hard to find a place with good parking, we expect to have quite a lot of customers so parking is very important.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Walen School, www.thaiwalen.com

i agree with earlier post mimanhaeman rd chang mai university area alot of farang stay at this area you would get more customers here me included,some where near central shopping centre,good to hear about new school,i will sign up for 3 years dave :o

• 3 weeks later...
We would like to rent at first. Building takes too long. We would like to open the doors in May or June. I am not sure if that would be mostly new arrivals. We have actually a very mixed group of students. I would be looking at anything from 200-400 m2 if there is parking available. I found something very nice in road 1001 but not sure if that is not a little too far.

Well, since hiway 1001 is more than 100 kilometers long, it might a lttle be too far. I live at kilomet tii 2, and it is too far for KFC

Whaaaaat? Hey Larry....don't tell me you eat KFC....? With the home-grown Thai barbequed chicken available at every market.... and the chain of 'Gai yaang haa daw' too. I thought only thais went for that expensive rubbish drowned in batter.....

Maybe your brained is fried and you can't understand simple English... I said it was too far for KFC, so no I don't eat KFC.

Maybe your brained is fried and you can't understand simple English... I said it was too far for KFC, so no I don't eat KFC.

You have the charm and wit of a Serbian policeman's bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the drawings of the school to give you guys an idea of what the floor plan will be like. Two floors and a side view. 260 square meters in total. We will have 8 smaller classrooms and one very large one. Construction starts next week and should take about 1-1.5 months.

At the moment it is a total ruin but once it's finished it will look very respectable as we will spend around 2 million on this project.

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

post-46756-1241780815_thumb.jpg

post-46756-1241780833_thumb.jpg

post-46756-1241780849_thumb.jpg

Here are the drawings of the school to give you guys an idea of what the floor plan will be like. Two floors and a side view. 260 square meters in total. We will have 8 smaller classrooms and one very large one. Construction starts next week and should take about 1-1.5 months.

At the moment it is a total ruin but once it's finished it will look very respectable as we will spend around 2 million on this project.

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

Have you given any thought to wheelchair access. there are a lot of older people here and the only placde supporting wheelchairs is CMU and their offerings are limited.

Doesn't cost much at the building stage, is the right thing to do and will open up a large niche market.

That is a very good thought. Unfortunately there are stairs going up to school. We are a little limited in what can be done as we can only make changes and modifications within the space rented.

Perhaps an on-line Walen school would be a better option. Students who cannot easily move around or live far from the school could study from the comfort of home.

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen