Walen School Of Thai In Chiang Mai

MacWalen

Dear Chiang Mai residents, any suggestions as to the best location for the soon coming Walen School of Thai in Chiang Mai?

I think that the centre would be good but it is hard to find a place with good parking, we expect to have quite a lot of customers so parking is very important.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Walen School, www.thaiwalen.com

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Chiang Mai residents, any suggestions as to the best location for the soon coming Walen School of Thai in Chiang Mai?

I think that the centre would be good but it is hard to find a place with good parking, we expect to have quite a lot of customers so parking is very important.

Next to immigration.

How much space do you think it's going to need? Are you looking at an existing building or to build something?

I think as probably most of your students would be fairly new arrivals to Thailand, probably an inner city location is best. (People tend to live there initially before migrating away from town to one of the moobans). Or of course something that can be easily reached by public transport.

We would like to rent at first. Building takes too long. We would like to open the doors in May or June. I am not sure if that would be mostly new arrivals. We have actually a very mixed group of students. I would be looking at anything from 200-400 m2 if there is parking available. I found something very nice in road 1001 but not sure if that is not a little too far.

We would like to rent at first. Building takes too long. We would like to open the doors in May or June. I am not sure if that would be mostly new arrivals. We have actually a very mixed group of students. I would be looking at anything from 200-400 m2 if there is parking available. I found something very nice in road 1001 but not sure if that is not a little too far.

Well, since hiway 1001 is more than 100 kilometers long, it might a lttle be too far. I live at kilomet tii 2, and it is too far for KFC

Hi macwalen,

No doubt probably not the cheapest part of Chiang Mai, but I really love the Nimmanhaemin area. Maybe look at all of the Sois that run off Nimmanhaemin between Huay Kaew and Suthep.

Regards

bridge

Hi macwalen,

No doubt probably not the cheapest part of Chiang Mai, but I really love the Nimmanhaemin area. Maybe look at all of the Sois that run off Nimmanhaemin between Huay Kaew and Suthep.

Regards

bridge

I wouldn't rank Nimmenhemin as the ideal area for parking. The more central the more likely it is easy for all to access.

I will be in CM at the end of the week to check a few more places and will take a closer look at some central locations. Not easy to find a perfect location. CH is a big city so potentially there could be more than one Walen school in the future depending on the support.

Do most residents of CH drive or ride bikes?

The Thai-language school with the most punters is AUA along Ratchdamneon Road. I suggest take one of the townhouse type buildings nearer to Tha Pae Gate end of that road - loads of walk bys from AUA. Whatever you do, don't employ any of the old battle axes from AUA who teach Thai especially if their name begins with Malee. (Ajarn will be here to post how much he loves the battle axes within the next 2 minutes).

Edited by Loaded

I did not have a look there yet, that is a great suggestion. Is AUA far from the city center?

AUA is in the city centre, YMCA is one km from centre Pro is in Nimnahamen.

Have you thought of disabled access. if you can get somewhere ground floor and have an access you will be the only one in town except CMU and there are increasing numbers of people liking access.

inside the city moat check out the south west quadrant, which is the least impacted by development. however, you might consider something on the canal road - it's close (parallel, one street west) to nimmanhaemin and has lots of wide open space and presumably cheaper rents. it runs right by the university as well.

Edited by ollylama

The Thai-language school with the most punters is AUA along Ratchdamneon Road. I suggest take one of the townhouse type buildings nearer to Tha Pae Gate end of that road - loads of walk bys from AUA. Whatever you do, don't employ any of the old battle axes from AUA who teach Thai especially if their name begins with Malee. (Ajarn will be here to post how much he loves the battle axes within the next 2 minutes).

Please don't post needless bullshit about me.

Hi macwalen,

Anything along Huay Kaew Rd will be a good location.

Kad Suan Kaew shopping centre(NW of moat) or nearby as there are many parking places in the shopping centre.

On the other hand, if your target group is CM residents, then how about Kad Farang at Hang Dong,which is 10km from CM. There is a Rimping supermarket there, lots of parking & maybe the rents are lower?

I think most CM residents either drive or ride big bikes.50/50%?

Cheers!

Hi macwalen,

Anything along Huay Kaew Rd will be a good location.

Kad Suan Kaew shopping centre(NW of moat) or nearby as there are many parking places in the shopping centre.

That may be a good idea about Kad Suan Kaew shopping centre. It conains many shop areas of which many are vacant at the moment. In fact it seems at least half a floor is being done up and would be available potentially.

Central

Accessible

Passing trade

Food available.

Prestigous?

All in all a very possible location if the rent is right.

Edited by harrry

I will be in CM at the end of the week to check a few more places and will take a closer look at some central locations. Not easy to find a perfect location. CH is a big city so potentially there could be more than one Walen school in the future depending on the support.

Do most residents of CH drive or ride bikes?

If they live in the center city they definitely don't drive. They either walk or walk or use a motorsai. Few ride bikes. If they live outside the city they either drive or use a motorsai. So it's two separate markets you're looking at. You need to figure out which you want to market to. I assume that that is the purpose of this thread.

So where is "CH"?

I will definitely check that shopping center. The problem is we need quite a large area, at least 200 to 400 m2, if this is a shopping area the rent can be very high. I will visit all suggested areas. This is very helpful. I will try to rent a bike this time instead of driving. I think it is a better way of getting to know the place. Do they have bike rental places like in Pattaya? Say 200-300 Baht a day?

Dude, wherever you put your school, please don't affix loudspeakers outside the door playing language tapes like you do at the branch at Times Square in Bangkok. I'm in that building all the time and it drives me $#@ crazy. :-P

Dude, wherever you put your school, please don't affix loudspeakers outside the door playing language tapes like you do at the branch at Times Square in Bangkok. I'm in that building all the time and it drives me $#@ crazy. :-P

Sorry to hear it. It is not too loud so why is it annoying you? It gives samples of the Callan Method. Also free lessons for people waiting for the lift. I think you must be the first person to complain about it.

Sorry to hear it. It is not too loud so why is it annoying you? It gives samples of the Callan Method. Also free lessons for people waiting for the lift. I think you must be the first person to complain about it.

In any case, good luck with the Chiang Mai branch. As you can read from this board there are always people looking to learn Thai, and I think the "no phonetics" method is the way to go.

Thanks Puwa, I see you are familiar with our approach to teaching Thai. We have more and more people interested in learning Thai with our method, I think CM residents will be happy to have more choices regarding Thai classes. Not everyone likes our approach but those that tried see that it is quite easy and anyone can do it if they just turn up for their lessons. CM is a big city and deserve to have our school as well as Callan.

We are interested in growth nationwide. We will be offering 30% of the revenue on a partnership basis for good salesmen who are willing to help us grow to become the biggest Thai and English school in the country.

Edited by macwalen

I've always found the Nimmanheiman, Huay kaew and Suthep road difficult for parking and heavy on the traffic. Across town just East of the river near The Narawat bridge and around there are plenty of buildings for rent and the superhighway/ main arterials heading East out of town and the Mahidon Road all very close with fast moving roads. Rents are also cheaper this side.

regards Bojo

Hi Macwalen,

It's just a thought, but some of the bigger condo buildings have rooms to rent on the ground floors, and they are often used by local businesses for all manner of enterprises. In addition to this (if you could find an adequate place), is that the condo itself would be a great landmark for the business, and parking might not be such an issue. Some condo blocks also have additional parking spaces in adjacent plots of land.

Cheers

Aitch

I don't think it's loud, though I'm only passing by on the way to the footbridge.. I do think the English sounds old fashioned and slightly quaint though!

I don't think it's loud, though I'm only passing by on the way to the footbridge.. I do think the English sounds old fashioned and slightly quaint though!

You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Aitch

The Nimmanhaemin area is a very good choice. You have many educated farang and Thai, lots of cultural activities, etc. As for parking, the Monkey Club on soi 9 has a huge parking lot virtually unused during the day. I am sure they would be amenable to allowing Walen to use it during the day for a small fee. These kind of arrangements are not uncommon. One other possibility in mooban Nantawan off of Nimmanhaemin, directly across from the parking lot of the Amari Rincome. There are a few large houses for rent there.

mac, I would just suggest you choose a location that is easy to find. I moved across town a month ago, from far west to far east, and I am one lost little puppy now. I wandered around places yesterday - in the dark - like a blind man. This town is incredibly difficult to navigate, and nobody including natives knows how to give directions. Keep it simple.