Nathon Main Street Closed

John 1

Look's like the local's are complaining about 7/11 and Lotus again they blocked the main street from the Police station. Sign says Lotus and 7/11 get out. This is mob rule again, don't go back to the old mum and pop style stores and if you look I would say 80% of Thai's in Nathon shop in the 7/11 and Lotus. this could be stirred up by Samui mart and Sanpet as they would be the biggest looser's and before the biggest rip off merchant's.

They are not protesting against Tesco Nathon, but rather against the new big one planned in Lamai, and the smaller ones planned in Ban Saket and Maenam. And they want to block the road for 5 more days (day and night!), together with the paving of the beach road in Nathon (hallelujah!!!) this means about 10-20min delay when passing through Nathon in either direction, maybe more at peak traffic.

Yes, I saw the protesters. I also see the vast expanse that is being cleared right now just down from the Lamai wet market. It's a big piece of land and I am excited for it to be finished. Having a Tesco close will be fantastic.

Good one :o

Yes, I saw the protesters. I also see the vast expanse that is being cleared right now just down from the Lamai wet market. It's a big piece of land and I am excited for it to be finished. Having a Tesco close will be fantastic.

And there would be less traffic Lamai-Chaweng.

The blockage was lifted this afternoon, free road south through Nathon.

Didn't do them any good I think, but hey, looked like everybody including the Bib took it very easy. I wonder who payed for this 3-day party? Maybe a certain newly opened complex in Lamai would like to restrain a rival? :o

The prob is that many families can earn a small living with selling BBQ chicken, fruit juices or running a small shop. More and more 7/11 means that those families (mostly locals) will face huge problems.

John1, Sanpet is probably the best shop in Samui and there were the first to stock western food and beverages in Samui. If husband would not have been shot by locals there would have been another Sanpet in Chaweng many years ago.

7/11 is a pest, they promote fat fast food and the oversugared soft drinks.

The prob is that many families can earn a small living with selling BBQ chicken, fruit juices or running a small shop. More and more 7/11 means that those families (mostly locals) will face huge problems.

John1, Sanpet is probably the best shop in Samui and there were the first to stock western food and beverages in Samui. If husband would not have been shot by locals there would have been another Sanpet in Chaweng many years ago.

Sanpet is not one of the best shop in Samui for western food, used to be, I hope they come back to be the top because

I use to go there and find more close then Chaweng, but very often I found expire food, often overpriced, a place

where the aircon is off to save money and the cashier lady is pretty rude and visibly greedy, do not even say good morning or bye...

Colibri in chaweng is a professional place to buy western food, that's also why he supplies many of the best rest. on the island.

If no Tesco or Big C I would not even buy my eggs in a thai shop, would you ?

I'm not complaining about Thai shop / Food, otherwise I can go back to EU and buy what I like,

I'm just saying that having a choice I prefer and feel more safe to buy in Tesco.....

7/11 come on, not even Thai people buy food there except some drinks and plastify Hamburgers,

7/11 can not be consider competition even for those Thai shops...

Last but not least thai shops just sell the same things all over, if they like improve the sales and eventually see

also some farang walking in, shop owners should diversify the products to find their own clientele,

(maybe start to clean the shop would be an idea to actract new potential customers...)

but too lazy to do it, better just complain and point fingers to Tesco rather then wake up in the morning and work !

Ophs sorry I said work, my fault...I want to say wake up in the morning and Think ! Ophs other mistake, ok I give up...

Edited by Geppis72

Sanpet is not one of the best shop in Samui for western food at ALL, unless you like expire food, often overpriced, shopping in a place

where the aircon is off to save money and the old cashier lady is absolutely rude and visibly greedy.

Colibri in chaweng is a professional place to buy western food, that's also why he supply many of the best rest. on the island.

If no Tesco or Big C I would not even buy my eggs in a thai shop, would you ?

I'm not complaining about Thai shop / Food, otherwise I can go back to EU and buy what I like,

I'm just saying that having a choice I prefer and feel more safe to buy in Tesco.....

7/11 come on, not even Thai people buy food there except some drinks and plastify Hamburgers,

7/11 can not be consider competition even for those Thai shops...

Last but not least thai shops just sell the same things all over, if they like improve the sales and eventually see

also some farang walking in, shop owners should diversify the products to find their own clientele,

(maybe start to clean the shop would be an idea to actract new potential customers...)

but too lazy to do it, better just complain and point fingers to Tesco rather then wake up in the morning and work !

Ophs sorry I said work, my fault...I want to say wake up in the morning and Think ! Ophs other mistake, ok I give up...

I´m not gonna join a debate of wheter or not sanipet or colibri is better. I do agree on the rude cashier in sanipet. But in all fairness, in that sence, colibri is only slightly better! That guy do have days when he can´t help you enough and you are so, so welcome. But he does have days when he can be VERY rude aswell!

Ohh, edit: Need to be fair to him and agree that he does keep things frech. Never got anything bad from there. Allthough nowadays most of the stuff can be bought at other places on the island and alot of his groceries is bought in tesco or bigc for half the price. He does have some specialties only he have though.

Edited by mattias33

So true, that's the strong competition for the small Thai shops, not Tesco/BigC/Macro where the shops are stocking up themselves. But 7/11 is CP group so no protest (or why else?), even if there is one every 50m.

Talking about Tesco, last Saturday 5 PM I was there and it was quite empty (I don't want to use the word dead :o ), usually very busy this time. Also BigC seems to be empty all the time. Do you really think there's enough business for 2 big Tescos so close together?

Edited by longtom