Ups Battery Replacement

yeti

I need to replace the battery of my Leonics UPS.

How should I proceed? Take the UPS to a shop in Panthip, and they'll change the battery for me? Open it, remove the old battery, go Panthip, get a new one and install it by myself?

How difficult is it to replace?

Not familiar with Leonics, but I have done a few APCs and it's easy enough and APCs are designed to be user-replaceable. Look at the manual for your unit.

However if you are not confident in these things, I doubt it will cost much more to have someone at Pantip do it and since the majority of the unit's weight is in the battery it won't be much more effort to take the whole thing in.

Up to you... :o

If you are happy having a go, take the old one out - take it to the shop to get a replacement. Thus ensuring you get a replacement that has the same voltage and capacity spectifications, 12Volt 20 Amp Hour etc. as well as the same physical size as the old unit.

If you can use a screwdriver and with a modicum of care and common sense you ought to be able to swap the battery in most UPSs.

UNPLUG IT!!!

Investigate the screws holding the lid on and remove, it's usually pretty obvious how the top comes off.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING METALLIC INSIDE, it can still bite even if off and with a flat battery.

Note the positions of all the wires and remove the connections from the batteries (they usually just pull off) and carefully remove the batteries.

Take one to the shops to size the replacements.

Reverse the above to re-assemble.

Don't be tempted to test it with the lid off, IT CAN KILL.

Easy eh?

User Manual just says: turn the UPS and unplug the power cord from the wall outlet...

Opened it, the wires are solded to the battery, so will have to bring the whole thing to Panthip. Any specific shop/floor to go to in Panthip, or should I just walk around?

Leonics are very easy to replace the battery. On the bottom of the unit there will be an access panel and I think 4 screws. Remove the screws and the access panel will drop including the battery. The battery only has two connectors black and red easily removeable. Don't remove the battery by removing the case, it will be very difficult. Remove it from the bottom panel. You can only get the battery in two sizes. They are the saem size but have different amps. They have a 7 amp and a 9 amp model. Get the 9 amp model, would only be about 400-500 baht. Make sure red iss th epositive ans black is the negative when you put it back in. Don't plug it in until everything has been finished. Its not a very difficult thing to do, maybe about 2-3 stars out of 5 for difficulty. If unsure any shop can do it for you, like amorn ot it city. Some shop might charge you like 100 baht for labor . Some shops might do it for free if you buy the battery from them.

User Manual just says: turn the UPS and unplug the power cord from the wall outlet...

Opened it, the wires are solded to the battery, so will have to bring the whole thing to Panthip. Any specific shop/floor to go to in Panthip, or should I just walk around?

Hmmm...

[A] It's been repaired by a shop (returned/reconditioned unit).

It's supposed to be like that and the leads unplug somewhere else in the unit and come with the new battery.

What model is it? - I finally found the manuals download page a random selection of which all say the terminals disconnect from the battery.

Edited by phaethon

I need to replace the battery of my Leonics UPS.

How should I proceed? Take the UPS to a shop in Panthip, and they'll change the battery for me? Open it, remove the old battery, go Panthip, get a new one and install it by myself?

How difficult is it to replace?

I have a Leonics too

before leonics have a repair / office on the top floor (4 floor), but last time i went there, they move, someone said to go to IT (4 floor)

I went to IT & as you said they change the battery for me.

Hi :o

Is this the time of the year where the Leonics usually die? Mine did so last week. It's a Leonics OA-Exytra 750 VA. To get the battery out one has to remove four screws on the bottom, slide the outer cover off towards the rear, locate and lossen four screws from inside that hold the front panel, push this up a little and pull it out to the front, then open two more screws that hold a bracket and the battery can then be pulled out to the front. The wires are with standard connectors, the battery is a 12V 36 WPC, type HR9-12.

So i went to Panthip to a shop on the ground floor where i previously bought a UPS battery. When you enter Panthip, walk the left-most "soi" all the way to the end of the building and turn left, it's the second shop there, they sell all sort of nick-nacks. You'll have to ask for the battery as they don't display those.

When i presented them my piece of paper with the type "HR9-12" the immediate answer was "no have", then a guy who could speak English explained that this type is not available in Thailand as it is a somewhat special type, 8 AH "High Density". What they have is the more common 7 AH with the same physical size, so i got one of those, price 650 Baht with one year warranty.

Needless to say, the UPS works fine again and in the meantime i have found out that that original type HR9-12 would cost about 45 USD (1,580 Baht) when ordered online.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thank you all for your answers, had to attend to some business, so could not reply before.

Mine is an OA Extra 750 VA as well, so I will follow your instructions to remove the battery. Until now I only removed the outer cover, not the front panel.

Will check around Panthip, and see what I can find.

Thnks again.

Thanks to Thanh explanation, I was able to remove the battery.

I'm thinking of bringing it to Panthip, so that the shop where I'll buy the new one will take care of disposing of the old one.

How should I protect the battery terminals so that I won't kill myself while carrying it around? Putting something on the pods means touching them which seems dangerous.

Hi :o

The battery itself carries only 12 Volts, it can't hurt you. But if you want to make sure that nothing metallic in your bag can short it just cover the terminals with scotch tape.

The UPS includes some circuitry which is responsible to generate the 200 Volts output from the battery, in turn the battery is charged while the mains is available.

If i were you i would not throw the old one away - it is no longer strong enough to power the UPS and keep your computer running, however it still keeps enough juice to run a multi-LED-emergency light for several hours, you could get one of those in the car accessories (usually comes with a cigarette lighter plug), just take off that plug and connect the wires to the battery terminals and you will have sufficient light in case the power goes out for a long-ish period of time (we never know in Thailand....)

If you then get a small AC/DC adaptor (the type used to [power certain radios or game equipment) which outputs 12 VDC you can use that to keep said battery charged.

It can never hurt to have a source of 12 Volts at home - many things can run off 12 Volts (i have a car battery under my bed, when due to the skytrain construction near my place the power is once again shut down for the whole night i have a couple of 12V fans that i can run off it as well as an emergency light and a radio. And hooking up that car battery to the UPS i can even keep my computer going all night if need be :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Once the battery is disconnected from the machine it is safe enough by itself - it's just a small car battery so you only need to prevent the wires from contacting and shorting the battery. A bit of insulation tape or Sellotape (scotch tape) wrapped around the end should suffice. If you have flying (loose) leads tape them to opposite side of the battery case so they can't come into contact.

I thought the intensity was high enough to still be dangerous, good to know it's safe.

As for keeping the battery, I already have too much junk in my condo, so my wife would throw it away behind my back anyway. Or my baby would want to taste it and it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

And candles are much more romantic than emergency lights in case of power cut :o.

I thought the intensity was high enough to still be dangerous

IT IS!!!

At least for an indeterminate period whilst the (400V+) reservoir capacitors are discharging.

It is always wise to treat any device that creates high voltage from batteries as hot. The simple electronic flash in your camera is quite capable of killing :o

I thought the intensity was high enough to still be dangerous

IT IS!!!

At least for an indeterminate period whilst the (400V+) reservoir capacitors are discharging.

It is always wise to treat any device that creates high voltage from batteries as hot. The simple electronic flash in your camera is quite capable of killing :o

Yeah correct.

However he was asking about the battery itself, not the UPS. Even touching the UPS wires (those that are connected to the battery) isn't dangerous as there also it's only 12V that come out, even while the UPS is connected to the mains.

However touching something inside the UPS itself is a bad idea - there indeed high voltage will be encountered.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

PS some UPS's even have hot-swappable batteries, but i doubt this particular Leonics is one such - as it requires quite some dismantling to get the battery out, of course it should be unplugged while doing so.

^^^ No problem mate :o

I'm a confirmed member of the "one hand in the pocket" brigade (and I'm sure it has saved my miserable skin).

When dealing with non-tech persons always safest to assume it will bite rather than think it won't and it does :D

I'm a confirmed member of the "one hand in the pocket" brigade (and I'm sure it has saved my miserable skin).

And the one hand that is free has no ring on it, those high voltage arc overs make for a bad hair day. :o

As a microwave chap you'll also know that the ring can work as a "shorted-turn" and get very hot very, very, quickly even on relatively low-frequency kit. A type 965 Radar got me (950MHz only), output stage (two huge lighthouse valves) tuning involved winding a short up and down the biggest Lecher bars I've ever seen. This end is 0V, the other end will kill you. :D

OMG HMS Collingwood have one in their MUSEUM, it was the latest thing when I worked on it :D

Ever tried to remove a red-hot ring (no not the type you get after too much somtham :D ).

Ah, the smell of burning flesh..... brings back some painful memories :D

Edited by Crossy