What's Your Favourite Thing, About Living In Chiang Mai ?

Ricardo

There are so many to choose from, but probably my personal favourite, is the multi-cultural/international 'feel' of Chiang Mai.

There are plenty of different farang cultures represented, but also Lanna/central-Thai & the several hill-tribes, amongst the local people, in fact to me it feels a little like a 'small-town' version of London !

So what's your favourite ? :o

Cheap Thai food everywhere! :D

I totally agree with this. This is very true. You can enjoy "cheap food - good taste" everywhere in Chiang Mai.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many to choose from, but probably my personal favourite, is the multi-cultural/international 'feel' of Chiang Mai.

There are plenty of different farang cultures represented, but also Lanna/central-Thai & the several hill-tribes, amongst the local people, in fact to me it feels a little like a 'small-town' version of London !

So what's your favourite ? :o

Cheap Thai food everywhere! :D

I totally agree with this. This is very true. You can enjoy "cheap food - good taste" everywhere in Chiang Mai.

IMO, the local food is much better than the ones they serve in Bangkok and in the South. Only Isaan food can compete with it.

I have to say being a regular visitor to Thailand for the last 6 years and travelling around the country, that my favourite city is Chiang Mai .

It's something about the atmosphere , its a busy citylife but still very relaxed atmosphere, and love the beautiful scenery outside the city.

It's also very friendly there compared with BKK , Pattaya or the Phuket areas.

The clean air.

The exotic wildlife.

The reluctance of people to take our money.

The friendly welcoming ex-pats.

Fast Internet services.

Few vehicles on the roads & courteous driving skills of the Thais.

Good sattire, sassienie! :o:D:D

Yah, we got that too!

The hazy wood smoke smog gives great sunsets in nearby reservoirs

Sunset_1_Em.sized.jpg

Sunset_3.sized.jpg

And there IS wildlife...

Ian_with_cobra_1.sized.jpg

Kingfisher_1.sized.jpg

Ping_hawk_1.sized.jpg

Even the "other" kind... :D:D:wai:

69th_birthday_cake_1.sized.jpg

People are only willing to accept the money we offer or make easily available. It's up to ourselves to use a little discretion. Not the person wanting it.

I gotta admit you are correct about the internet though. My supposedly "high speed" connection in my Chiang Mai room barely makes similar dial up speed back home in Canada.

I enjoy the freedom of my bike riding here. It's like a real live video game where you have to be constantly aware 100% of the time. Nothing is that important that we can't wait a bit like the Thais seem to do. If road rage where as common here as it is in California there would be mass murders due to all the crazy stuff I see on a daily basis. The Thais just sort of accept it as normal.

And, who CARES about the ex-pats? The miserable ones here are just displaced people who couldn't make it back home where they came from.

The clean air.

The exotic wildlife.

The reluctance of people to take our money.

The friendly welcoming ex-pats.

Fast Internet services.

Few vehicles on the roads & courteous driving skills of the Thais.

Good sattire, sassienie! :o:D:D

Yah, we got that too!

The hazy wood smoke smog gives great sunsets in nearby reservoirs

Sunset_1_Em.sized.jpg

Ha! When you talk about 'bike riding' Ian, you mean motor cycles judging from the pictures!

I'm into road cycling bikes so I am bringing my whole collection of bicycles into Thailand which includes my £6000 condor carbon.

Now there's real pleasure for you! This morning in the UK I did a pleasant 60 miles through Worcestershire and the countryside was beginning to wake up. Very nice!

Sunset_3.sized.jpg

And there IS wildlife...

Kingfisher_1.sized.jpg

Ping_hawk_1.sized.jpg

Even the "other" kind... :D:D:wai:

People are only willing to accept the money we offer or make easily available. It's up to ourselves to use a little discretion. Not the person wanting it.

I gotta admit you are correct about the internet though. My supposedly "high speed" connection in my Chiang Mai room barely makes similar dial up speed back home in Canada.

I enjoy the freedom of my bike riding here. It's like a real live video game where you have to be constantly aware 100% of the time. Nothing is that important that we can't wait a bit like the Thais seem to do. If road rage where as common here as it is in California there would be mass murders due to all the crazy stuff I see on a daily basis. The Thais just sort of accept it as normal.

And, who CARES about the ex-pats? The miserable ones here are just displaced people who couldn't make it back home where they came from.

go to work 8:00-4:00

Hey, there will be no cussin' here or use of extremely bad words!

WORK??? Isn't that what falongs do in foreign countries? :o:D:D

dam_n, I love the good life! :D

Your wit eludes me. Yes, work, I believe I said; "Life is the same in general almost anywhere you go". I have quite a few years to go before retirement. In the meantime I choose not to be drunk,fat and stupid (no offense if that's your thing).

"Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble".

Jung

Jungian...Johnny didn't mean to be mean. Wit is a gift not all can give out nor can all understand. In Amelika where GDPJohnnie and I am from, saying that the four letter word "work" is a four letter cuss word is just meant for laughter. No more,no less

Your wit eludes me. Yes, work, I believe I said; "Life is the same in general almost anywhere you go". I have quite a few years to go before retirement. In the meantime I choose not to be drunk,fat and stupid (no offense if that's your thing).

"Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble".

Jung

I can understand how ya feel.

Employment used to make me angry and loose my sense of humor too.

So for years I used to run ultramarathons ( 100 milers) and very rarely touched alcohol.

Don't worry...

you'll get over it.....

someday. :D

I'd like to take this opportunity to voice my appreciation for this picture. I think it's BRILLIANT, bordering lovely!

The Chang beer robustly in hand, the rose, the sweet surroundings that simply don't need any added peripheral Farangs to clutter the scene.. Six voices singing "Happy Birthday to You" seconds after this moment.. oh the bare necessities of life condensed in one perfect scene.. It shows the celebration of birthdays with a child-like joy, instead of dreading to clock up another year..

You should get this done as a painting from one of those guys at the night bazar, then give it a prime spot in your living room.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Six voices singing "Happy Birthday to You"

Six? Where's the sixth? Under the table?

Inside the cake, waiting to pop out.

LOL!!!! But, you think pictures take themselves?

Sheesh. :D

(And yes, the person taking the picture is another cute girl. If it happens to be a peripheral Farang geezer so thankfully absent from the main scene then I do NOT want to be corrected with this information. Thanks. :o )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Six voices singing "Happy Birthday to You"

Six? Where's the sixth? Under the table?

Inside the cake, waiting to pop out.

LOL!!!! But, you think pictures take themselves?

Sheesh. :D

(And yes, the person taking the picture is another cute girl. If it happens to be a peripheral Farang geezer so thankfully absent from the main scene then I do NOT want to be corrected with this information. Thanks. :o )

It was taken by one of the equally lovely owners of the bar... Dave's wife, Sah. Good friends and good times. If I could import an equally friendly bar into North America I would be a multi-miiionaire in a year. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work. The girls would all be gone in a week.

And there IS wildlife...

Yes!

Ian Forbes, you're a legend!

Photoshop :o

Of course. All my pictures on the net are Photoshopped! I crop them, reduce the size, brighten them when needed, and all the usual stuff to make them fit in internet forums.

And yes, sometimes I DO change the subjects a little... or a lot. :D:D:D

LIke me wearing my camoflage gear while fishing...

Camoflage.sized.jpg

I've been around a long time...

Wooly_Mammoth.sized.jpg

I just like being independently wealthy at the expense of others. That was me on St Patrick's Day.

Ian_with_pot_of_gold_Em.sized.jpg

I usually get my inspiration from talking with Aliens...

Bizzare_Ian_1.sized.jpg

Jung

Wit is in the eyes of the person responding. It's a personal thing. Some of us can see humour in everything. Others can't see humour in anything.

Work can be a personal definition. I chose a career where I didn't feel like I WAS working. I enjoyed my life. I had "worked" at my career for 10 years when my father asked me when I was going to get a "REAL JOB". My Father was an old Scot who felt work was work and fun was fun, but the two couldn't or should't mix. I felt it was the total opposite. I loved my career in the Forestry. I went to places other people had to pay to visit. Certainly there was isolation, but I took advantage of every minute of it to enjoy nature that surrounded me on a daily basis. On my free time (of which I had a lot) I went fishing, hunting, hiking and exploring. I arranged every day so I could explore some more. I always came home with exciting stories and the proceeds of my adventure: smoked salmon, fresh steelhead, haunches of game. Certainly there were some rough days, but I enjoyed them all.

I've been chased by a grizzly bear across a northern river, I've been charged by a momma black bear with cubs, I've stepped on a sleeping black bear, I've faced down a hungry cougar when I was 14 and it took of instead of attacking, I've been bitten by a venomous Tiger snake and played with cobras and taipans. I've pulled crocodiles around by the tail and generally just enjoyed all my adventures. I've had many close calls in the wilderness, but every one gave me a great memory and a story to tell. Hopefully I'll be able to finish a few books before my time is up. And, I've kept illustrated diaries of my adventures over the past 50 years. Life is a blast if you let it happen.

Jung

Wit is in the eyes of the person responding. It's a personal thing. Some of us can see humour in everything. Others can't see humour in anything.

Work can be a personal definition. I chose a career where I didn't feel like I WAS working. I enjoyed my life. I had "worked" at my career for 10 years when my father asked me when I was going to get a "REAL JOB". My Father was an old Scot who felt work was work and fun was fun, but the two couldn't or should't mix. I felt it was the total opposite. I loved my career in the Forestry. I went to places other people had to pay to visit. Certainly there was isolation, but I took advantage of every minute of it to enjoy nature that surrounded me on a daily basis. On my free time (of which I had a lot) I went fishing, hunting, hiking and exploring. I arranged every day so I could explore some more. I always came home with exciting stories and the proceeds of my adventure: smoked salmon, fresh steelhead, haunches of game. Certainly there were some rough days, but I enjoyed them all.

I've been chased by a grizzly bear across a northern river, I've been charged by a momma black bear with cubs, I've stepped on a sleeping black bear, I've faced down a hungry cougar when I was 14 and it took of instead of attacking, I've been bitten by a venomous Tiger snake and played with cobras and taipans. I've pulled crocodiles around by the tail and generally just enjoyed all my adventures. I've had many close calls in the wilderness, but every one gave me a great memory and a story to tell. Hopefully I'll be able to finish a few books before my time is up. And, I've kept illustrated diaries of my adventures over the past 50 years. Life is a blast if you let it happen.

Well said Ian it sounds as if you had some great adventures and I'm sure there will be plenty more to re-live whilst in Chiang Mai

GOOD LUCK and enjoy

Dave

I just came back from a great meal with Thai friends. I highly recommend it if you don't mind doing your own cooking. It's the "Chumphae Nuae Kata" open diner at the north east corner of the mote.

There is a huge spread of meat, veggies and fruit. They have little cookers on the table where you add the veggies, noodles and various meats to the broth that comes in a pot. You add some bacon on the top of the cooker and the broth is around the outside where you add the veggies and various meats (squid, fake crab, chicken, pork etc) There are little spice bowls to add whatever flavour you want. It makes a great meal and nice entertainment. Of course it helps to have Thai friends who know the procedure the first time. It is a great meal for about 130 baht including a soft drink. Beer is cheap as well.

Ian, that's what I believe is called a 'moo-katar', and I would strongly recommend the one (called 'Sukhonta' ?) with it's entrance next to Hillside Condo on Kad Suan Kaew, drive through the archway and down the soi leading to the car-park & restaurant.

The price is much the same, they seat what looks like a couple of thousand, and have live entertainment. Excellent selection of food, even ice-cream & donuts for the kids, of all ages. :D

I always take visitors there, so they can see the locals, relaxed & enjoying themselves ! :o

I love those places, Ricardo. There are several of them around town.

And, for those who like a bit more adventure... but not too strenuous, there are the many day trips offered by all the tourist outlets. The one I enjoy the most offers a good hike to a hill tribe village, a short elephant ride, a trip down a mountain stream on a bamboo raft, a swim in a waterfall pool, and a good lunch for about 1500 baht. It's a hel_l of a deal.

Elephant_ride_2.sized.jpg

Treking_1.sized.jpg

Treking_2.sized.jpg

Rafting_1.sized.jpg

The company I keep ain't half bad either

Miss_Sweden_3_Em.sized.jpg

Miss_Sweden_2_Em.sized.jpg

From inside the cave under the waterfall

girl_under_waterfall_Em.jpg

My favourite thing? I think it pretty well all comes down to and derives from the size of Chiang Mai (as others have mentioned) - big enough to cater to a wide range of needs and wants........ yet small enough to get around and enjoy what members have listed.

I live in a peaceful, leafy soi a few hundred metres north of the Superhighway. Drive south for ten minutes and I'm just about anywhere "downtown". Drive ten minutes in the other direction and I'm already well into the countryside.

Northern people may be inherently more friendly and welcoming - difficult to compare given my limited experience of non-tourist places in the south and east. So, I'm left with the notion that it's the absence of megalopolis Bangkok and its attitudes (not universal even there) that makes a key difference. Even the weekender BKK hi-so's seem less pushy when they fly up to their second homes in CM.

And, of course, it's not far from CM to the home of the lovely Mr & Mrs Ricardo! :o

Edited by Steve2UK

Here's a few of the things I love about living in Chiang Mai...

My motorbike...

l_65396e384f1614ac58137f2ac8e9716e.jpg

Road trips on my bike...

l_10d159e592c6c936ddcd1810402f2e05.jpg

P1010054.jpg

P1010055.jpg

My Thai friends...

l_31738b9cdd4d482b83e781aef6e464c0.jpg

Playing pool...

l_43bee99d3d524c8bad08f2876dc53e7f.jpg

l_a9e767ce7711424dae437a9f19f63f77.jpg

Friendly, helpful locals...