Hiv Viral Load Test In Chiang Mai?

upa1000

Does anyone know where I can get an HIV viral load test in CM and how much it costs? Had an incident last week and can't get it out of my head. Don't think I can wait for the 3 month incubation period required for ELISA accuracy. I'm thinking CM Ram might offer viral load testing, but I'm not sure. Any info would be great. Thanks.

but you HAVE TO wait otherwise the test will not be reliable. after 1 week its usually impossible to discover a possible HIV-infection.

CM-RAM should be okay, but there are as well HIV-support NGO's based in CM. just google for it.

by the way, "viral-load-test" is something completely different. its for people who already are HIV-positive and want to know about their recent viral load (thats important to know, so they can start taking the right drugs at the right time).

CHOK DEE for your test.

I once had such a scare during my years in Thailand too, thanks god i was lucky.....

but you HAVE TO wait otherwise the test will not be reliable. after 1 week its usually impossible to discover a possible HIV-infection.

CM-RAM should be okay, but there are as well HIV-support NGO's based in CM. just google for it.

by the way, "viral-load-test" is something completely different. its for people who already are HIV-positive and want to know about their recent viral load (thats important to know, so they can start taking the right drugs at the right time).

CHOK DEE for your test.

I once had such a scare during my years in Thailand too, thanks god i was lucky.....

Cheers for the reply Siam. I'm actually surprised that more people haven't responded. I guess it's not that big of an issue here in CM.

Yes, I know the viral load test is used to monitor people already living with HIV. It is, however, the most accurate method to diagnose people recently infected (within the 3 month window). The PCR method is what they use to diagnose donated blood. (You can imagine the catastrophe if someone recently infected with HIV donated blood and physicians had no way to immediately screen it. Recipients could potentially receive blood with minute levels of HIV before the 3 month seroconversion period occurs.)

I know the test is out there, and I know it's an effective diagnostic tool. I just don't know where/ if it's performed in CM.

Again Siam, I appreciate the support. You maybe right- I might just have to wait if the PCR test isn't available. Hopefully, luck will go my way too.....

Chiang mai ram would be your best bet. If not suggest flying down to Bangkok and trying at Bumrungrad hospital.

Not surprised there arent more responses to this thread. If youd have asked where you could get a decent burger at the same time as getting the test youd have been inundated.

Good luck!

OK, I was a little mixed up. Siam, you're right. The viral load test is only for those who have already been infected. The PCR test is used for screening but is a different test than the viral load test (I thought they were the same tests).

I received an e-mail from Chiang Mai Ram. They do provide the PCR test. It's 3,600 baht, and the results are available in two weeks.

Arjarnpim, thank you also for your response. Unfortunately, I think you're right- if I mentioned burgers I'd likely have gotten more reponses. Pretty sad really.....

Thank you both for your help.

Does anyone know where I can get an HIV viral load test in CM and how much it costs? Had an incident last week and can't get it out of my head. Don't think I can wait for the 3 month incubation period required for ELISA accuracy. I'm thinking CM Ram might offer viral load testing, but I'm not sure. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Suggest you try the Red Cross clinic on the river near the American Consulate. They have an HIV centre up on the second floor and have people there who will provide support and guidance as well as the test itself. IMO a better option than RAM for HIV issues. Its also much cheaper :o