So... Has Bangkok Felt The Economic Tsunami Yet ?

Aswin

or is it the calm before the storm...

Are there any affect there at all ? or is it business as usual.

Just checking...

My retirement portfolio just shrunk like 50% in value since October :D seems my dream to retire early is set back like 10 years... :o

or may be I should just cut my losses now and move to Thailand immediately. :D

Please advise, how's the economy there at the moment ?

Couldn't you have posted this in the economy and financial section? Plenty of threads there already with people whining and moaning about the economy. Don't know that we need another one.

The damage is already done and the rest of my day if not week is ruined.

It's a reasonable question to ask in the Bangkok forum, I think. I too would like to know how BKK has been affected.

I think it's a reasonable request for people to use the search function before posting. There are probably at least ten threads that are "bad economy" related in the financial section. Plenty of it Bangkok related I'm sure. I can't be bothered to read it all, because it's like a bunch of old ladies whining and griping, and very little useful information.

Edited by beechguy

It's a reasonable question to ask in the Bangkok forum, I think. I too would like to know how BKK has been affected.

I think it's a reasonable request for people to use the search function before posting. There are probably at least ten threads that are "bad economy" related in the financial section. Plenty of it Bangkok related I'm sure. I can't be bothered to read it all, because it's like a bunch of old ladies whining and griping, and very little useful information.

So, to surmise, you haven't a clue how much of it relates to Bangkok. Thanks for your contribution. :o

So, to surmise, you haven't a clue how much of it relates to Bangkok. Thanks for your contribution. :o

Oh, I have plenty of clues about alot of things, one of them is how to use the search function. I don't need any further information about the economy of Bangkok, you are the one interested in that information. Maybe you should read up on how to use the search function, if you can't figure it out, I'll look for you and post the relative links when i have time. However, this thread has ran a couple of days now. Do you see any other useful information here? Well, it's much the same in the economy section.

And for your useful contributions, hmm, I don't see any.

Edited by beechguy

Oh, I have plenty of clues about alot of things, one of them is how to use the search function. I don't need any further information about the economy of Bangkok, you are the one interested in that information. Maybe you should read up on how to use the search function, if you can't figure it out, I'll look for you and post the relative links when i have time. However, this thread has ran a couple of days now. Do you see any other useful information here? Well, it's much the same in the economy section.

How wonderful YOU don't need any more information on the current state of Bangkok's economy. I am extremely pleased for you. However, the OP asked for opinions on the current state of Bangkok's economy, which isn't an unreasonable question to put in the Bangkok forum.

Can beechgay be made a mod please? He's clearly extremely knowledgeable about everything, including how other people should use the forum.

:D

Actually, I'll take you up on your kind offer. Please post the relevant links when you've time. Make sure they're pertinent and bang up to date though - no cheating now. Individual posts would be better, with nothing less than a week old. All economic indicators across all sectors, please, although I am especially interested in how the economic tsunami is affecting ordinary thai families - unemployment, wages etc. Is there evidence that economic turndown has resulted in mass migration back to the country?

How wonderful YOU don't need any more information on the current state of Bangkok's economy. I am extremely pleased for you. However, the OP asked for opinions on the current state of Bangkok's economy, which isn't an unreasonable question to put in the Bangkok forum.

Can beechgay be made a mod please? He's clearly extremely knowledgeable about everything, including how other people should use the forum.

Actually, I'll take you up on your kind offer. Please post the relevant links when you've time. Make sure they're pertinent and bang up to date though - no cheating now. Individual posts would be better, with nothing less than a week old. All economic indicators across all sectors, please, although I am especially interested in how the economic tsunami is affecting ordinary thai families - unemployment, wages etc. Is there evidence that economic turndown has resulted in mass migration back to the country?

Well I see one of your problems may be spelling. But, maybe not, one of my friends says, that when people run out of legitmate arguments they resort to name calling.

Anyway, if you're sure you can't use the search function I'll see what I can find and post it. But, I have to do some work now.

Well I see one of your problems may be spelling. But, maybe not, one of my friends says, that when people run out of legitmate arguments they resort to name calling.

'Special' friend is he?

Well I see one of your problems may be spelling. But, maybe not, one of my friends says, that when people run out of legitimate arguments they resort to name calling.

'Special' friend is he?

Well, I suppose you're sort of proving his point, aren't you?

Edited by beechguy

That's what freedom of expression is all about: The ability to say what you want, where you want to say it and how you want to convey it to others. If you can't be bothered to read it all, then simply don't read it

Ciao

That's what freedom of expression is all about: The ability to say what you want, where you want to say it and how you want to convey it to others. If you can't be bothered to read it all, then simply don't read it

Ciao

I already stated an opinion of why I didn't read it all. Sure, they have every right to express their opinion. Just as I have a right and stated my opinion of most of the content there, and why I didn't see the need to continue it here.

Edited by beechguy

Well I see one of your problems may be spelling. But, maybe not, one of my friends says, that when people run out of legitimate arguments they resort to name calling.

'Special' friend is he?

Well, I suppose you're sort of proving his point, aren't you?

Ciao

Quite right. It is unfathomable why someone would go out of their way to tell to posters what they should and shouldn't write, and where they should write it. Arrogance in the extreme.

wow this thread is awesome... not.

Agreed, but I just stated an opinion to begin with. Hopefully it can either get back on track or get closed.

Either get back on track or get closed?

:o:D

Who derailed it in the first place, preachy?

You did when you turned it into your childish tantrum by name calling and stupid inuendo. I simply stated the opinion that I thought it belonged someplace else and was a useless thread. From the looks of the useful information submitted, I would say I was correct.

I did not tell anyone not to post anything, including you. But if you would refrain from writing anymore childish BS, this would slide onto the second page where no one would likely be bothered anymore.

If you. or anyone else thinks I'm incorrect, please feel free to PM a moderator to delete my posts.

Edited by beechguy

wow this thread is awesome... not.

Agreed, but I just stated an opinion to begin with. Hopefully it can either get back on track or get closed.

Either get back on track or get closed?

:o:D

Who derailed it in the first place, preachy?

You did when you turned it into a childish argument by name calling and stupid inuendo. I simply stated the opinion that I thought it belonged someplace else and was a useless thread. From the looks of the useful information submitted, I would say I was correct.

I did not tell anyone not to post anything, including you. But if you would refrain from writing anymore childish BS, this would slide onto the second page where no one would likely be bothered anymore.

If you think I'm incorrect, please feel free to PM a moderator to delete my posts.

That special friend you have...do you actually have any others?

You did when you turned it into your childish tantrum by name calling and stupid inuendo. I simply stated the opinion that I thought it belonged someplace else and was a useless thread. From the looks of the useful information submitted, I would say I was correct.

If you. or anyone else thinks I'm incorrect, please feel free to PM a moderator to delete my posts.

I don't think your posts should necessarily be deleted, but like beauty, posted topics are in the eye of the beholder...that's why topic titles are so important in this forum. For example, I don't drink and I'm not out to "date" bar-girls, so there are dozens of posts in this forum that don't interest me a bit. So be it. Although I didn't start the thread, I was looking forward to an update on the economy in Bangkok since I am moving there on a retirement visa within a few months. I wonder how it is, for example, compared to the laste 90's. I don't see why a thread on the economy in Bangkok doesn't belong in a Bangkok forum. And, no one has to be bothered if they just skip the thread if it doesn't interest them.

well beechguy for someone who doesnt like all the people whining and moaning, you seem to be the only one doing it. Get a grip. I too think it is a reasonable post and would like to hear diverse opinions.

Edited by waza

well beechguy for someone who doesnt like all the people whining and moaning, you seem to be the only one doing it. Get a grip. I too think it is a reasonable post and would like to hear diverse opinions.

Not whining or griping, just stating an opinion and responded to other people's posts. And if you disagree fair enough, no need to resort to name calling or insults as some have.

The point is though, the thread has been open for a few days and haven't seen anyone post information relevant to the Op's topic, only complaints about my opinion.

So, if you don't see what you need here, I still recommend looking in the jobs and economy section, and possibly the real estate section.

Most of the information is geared toward Thailand in general but you would probably conclude that some of it will apply to the Bangkok area in some respects. My whining and moaning comments are based on the many complaints about the GBP or Euro rates of exchange to Baht. I think that is the biggest problem for most expats, not the bangkok economy itself. Don't know that there is much we can do about either is the reason I consider this all a bit useless though.

Edited by beechguy

My experience has been that prices are slightly up compared to last year. This strikes me as odd as similar services and products in the west have experienced deflation. Take NYC for example. Hotel occupancy dropped so there are upgrades and some price reductions. Occupancy rates are down across Thailand, but no impact at the nicer hotel chains. If anything, because my currency has fallen 20% against the baht in the past year, I am getting squeezed harder than before.

On the other hand, Bangkok is so much more affordable than Phuket. I am totally blwon away by how I can get a massive suite at the President off of soi 16 for what a 3 star crappy hotel in Patong will go for. If one doesn't mind the pollution, crowds and lack of greenspace, bangkok is still a bargain.

Bangkok seems to be a mixed bag. On one hand, when I drive around the city, there are still a lot of trucks moving goods somewhere. There are still way too many cars driving around--so on that 'subjective' front, the economy seems to be good.

On the other hand, there are a lot of shop house store fronts that seem to be shuttered. In the suburban area where I lived, these had nearly 100% occupancy over the past 8 years or so, occasionally one would close, but within weeks another one opened. Yesterday, while driving into the business district, it was looking more like a public holiday--just a few too many closed for a Saturday.

So maybe the 'car driving class' are doing OK and some factories are either doing well, or moving their goods around the city.

Exports are down and fall is rapidly getting worse. Ministers talking in media that there might be one million or more who will lose their jobs this year. So yes, thailand will feel the effects of global downturn like everyone else.

Posted this on other thread few days ago....

11256.gif

Full Story