Property Over The Next Two Years Let Us Forecast.

Do you live or plan to live in Thailand and do you own your own property?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. If you own your own property

• Do you think prices will go up?
    • Do you think prices will go down?
    • Do you think prices will remain the same?
    • N/A
  2. 2. If you are renting or considering Thailand for property

• Would you buy?
    • Would you rent?
    • Do you thing prices will go up?
    • Do you thing prices will go down?
    • Do you think prices will remain the same?
    • N/A
  3. 3. Does FX factor into your calculations?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A

This poll is closed to new votes

Lot of currencies out there that are more or less stable against baht so FX is not that big issue.

Property is also purchased by expats living and working in thailand, not only pensioners. This means at least some part of salary is getting paid in baht to fulfill work permit requirements.

Hi MJo - For me that would mean FX would factor into my calculations - High responses to 'No' is a strange response for me to digest.

Edited by pkrv

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lot of currencies out there that are more or less stable against baht so FX is not that big issue.

Property is also purchased by expats living and working in thailand, not only pensioners. This means at least some part of salary is getting paid in baht to fulfill work permit requirements.

Hi MJo - For me that would mean FX would factor into my calculations - High responses to 'No' is a strange response for me to digest.

I answered 'No' to the FX question because I bought (wife did, that is) when the exchange was 35 baht/$ a few years back. The opportunity was there and I watched as the baht got stronger. My decision to buy was based upon an opportunity that came to me. The difference of 38 baht/$ versus 35 baht/$ didn't change that in my mind, so if a similar situation arises in the future, I will simply look at the situation at hand with the exchange rate available at that time and decide if it is worth pursuing. Additionally, when we bought the land, we used some money that was sitting in a Thai bank account from the sale of a different piece of land. I also don't see the exchange rate going much worse for me in the future, so I expect it to be about the same as now or more in my favor.

this is in fact quite an easy question, but lets start out with this little morsel first...

:o The Bank of Thailand has said it may continue easing monetary policy at its next meeting on Feb. 25 after cutting its benchark interest rate

to 2 percent in two reductions since early December. :D

so here are some scenarios:

1) if property is not moving when rates are pratically zero (as they soon will be), then they will most assuredly will not sell or appreciate as interest rates rise in the future

2) if BOT does not raise interest rates or drops rates to zero, then the baht will continue to devalue, so the poor bagholder who bought his debt trap when the baht was say 35 to the dollar will have all his phantom 10% appreciation wiped away when the baht falls to 38 to the dollar

rates go up, prices come down, rates go down and you lose on currency devaluation

so to summarize, property will not rise in value (nominally or inflation adjusted) and the baht will continue to fall, and the homedebtor is in fact getting screwed twice

any questions?

Yes, since you know everything, what are next week's winning lottery numbers?

Two serious points here........my observation, and unlike many posters here I do not profess to be an expert, is that investments in general are not doing too well. I don't think property in Thailand is moving too well and I know for a fact that in the USA and UK property prices are, generally, down significantly. So, it matters not one iota whether you bought a house in Texas or in Timbuktu, if you bought it for investment purposes recently, tough titty, you've lost money. If you bought it 20 years ago however, you've still made money, though not quite as much as last week or the week before. Possibly even less if you wait until next week, but, as I said, I'm not an expert so I don't know. However, what I also DO know is that in this depressed market those folks with money to spare are BUYING property, probably not to sell next week but as an investment. Hey, if they spend 200K on a property they then rent for 1000 a month, they've made a return of 6% - pretty bloody good in the current climate. Whether or not their investment will pay off in terms of capital appreciation over the next few years, I don't know. It is a gamble and, generally, I don't gamble except for the occasional foolish flutter on the lottery, hence my request to all you know-it-alls out there to give me the winning numbers.

A totally separate issue is FX. That's another completely different game, another gamble and one played with some success by people with loads of experience, reactions like Mohammed Ali on speed and nerves of steel. I doubt you'll find any of them mix speculating on property and playing the currency markets; if you do find one, I'll show you a poor man. The speed of movement in one just cannot tolerate the sloth of the other.

So, anyone out there who has consciously bought a property expecting to make money from capital appreciation and FX fluctutions, meet me somewhere tomorrow night because I have a bridge for sale. I've bought and sold many a property in my lifetime and I've made a lot of (on paper) money from doing so. The primary purpose was for somewhere to live, not to make money. I'd venture to suggest that mostThailand buyers bought their property as somewhere to live, either as their primary residence or as a second (or third) home. If it's the place you live, the market value does not make much difference, especially where the market is global; even those poor sods in negative equity shouldn't really care so long as they don't need to sell.

And, to all those "renters" out there (including our mate Mr. Stickman) who profess that buying is a dumb thing to do, I'll leave you to all count the rent you pissed away over the years while I look at my million dollars I've made out of property appreciation. Next week it might only be 900k, true, but I don't pay rent either.

I dont see them increasing interest rates to prop up the Baht value, why would they unless they are trying to control inflation, are you trying to say that Thailand faces high inflation?

Okay so what if the Baht devalues? Its makes exports more competitive. How exactly is this bad for the Thai economy, and hence the overall property market by extension? (remembering that "property means more than the value of a few expat condos)

In 1997 the Baht devaluation was awful because of the amount of foreign currency denominated loans, it bankrupted 1,000's. That experience taught some very painful lessons that the Thai's did not forget, which is why most loans for recent construction projects were financed locally, even when cheaper rates existed overseas.

Richm7 - great post.

this is in fact quite an easy question, but lets start out with this little morsel first...

:D The Bank of Thailand has said it may continue easing monetary policy at its next meeting on Feb. 25 after cutting its benchark interest rate

to 2 percent in two reductions since early December. :D

so here are some scenarios:

1) if property is not moving when rates are pratically zero (as they soon will be), then they will most assuredly will not sell or appreciate as interest rates rise in the future

2) if BOT does not raise interest rates or drops rates to zero, then the baht will continue to devalue, so the poor bagholder who bought his debt trap when the baht was say 35 to the dollar will have all his phantom 10% appreciation wiped away when the baht falls to 38 to the dollar

rates go up, prices come down, rates go down and you lose on currency devaluation

so to summarize, property will not rise in value (nominally or inflation adjusted) and the baht will continue to fall, and the homedebtor is in fact getting screwed twice

any questions?

Two serious points here........my observation, and unlike many posters here I do not profess to be an expert, is that investments in general are not doing too well. I don't think property in Thailand is moving too well and I know for a fact that in the USA and UK property prices are, generally, down significantly. So, it matters not one iota whether you bought a house in Texas or in Timbuktu, if you bought it for investment purposes recently, tough titty, you've lost money. If you bought it 20 years ago however, you've still made money, though not quite as much as last week or the week before. Possibly even less if you wait until next week, but, as I said, I'm not an expert so I don't know. However, what I also DO know is that in this depressed market those folks with money to spare are BUYING property, probably not to sell next week but as an investment. Hey, if they spend 200K on a property they then rent for 1000 a month, they've made a return of 6% - pretty bloody good in the current climate. Whether or not their investment will pay off in terms of capital appreciation over the next few years, I don't know. It is a gamble and, generally, I don't gamble except for the occasional foolish flutter on the lottery, hence my request to all you know-it-alls out there to give me the winning numbers.

A totally separate issue is FX. That's another completely different game, another gamble and one played with some success by people with loads of experience, reactions like Mohammed Ali on speed and nerves of steel. I doubt you'll find any of them mix speculating on property and playing the currency markets; if you do find one, I'll show you a poor man. The speed of movement in one just cannot tolerate the sloth of the other.

So, anyone out there who has consciously bought a property expecting to make money from capital appreciation and FX fluctutions, meet me somewhere tomorrow night because I have a bridge for sale. I've bought and sold many a property in my lifetime and I've made a lot of (on paper) money from doing so. The primary purpose was for somewhere to live, not to make money. I'd venture to suggest that mostThailand buyers bought their property as somewhere to live, either as their primary residence or as a second (or third) home. If it's the place you live, the market value does not make much difference, especially where the market is global; even those poor sods in negative equity shouldn't really care so long as they don't need to sell.

And, to all those "renters" out there (including our mate Mr. Stickman) who profess that buying is a dumb thing to do, I'll leave you to all count the rent you pissed away over the years while I look at my million dollars I've made out of property appreciation. Next week it might only be 900k, true, but I don't pay rent either.

Maybe Stickman wasnt saying anything so dramatic as buying property " is a dumb thing to do " period......?

Maybe that statement needs to be qualified with an additional two words " in Thailand ? :o

Edited by midas

Maybe Stickman wasnt saying anything so dramatic as buying property " is a dumb thing to do " period......?

Maybe that statement needs to be qualified with an additional two words " in Thailand ? :o

Off topic, I know, but why must you end your statements with question marks as if they are questions? Questions are ended with question marks; statements are ended with periods or exclamation marks. :D

Yes agree, one needs only bit of common sense to figure it out.

But IMHO you haven't made a single dollar as long as you have not sold your properties. Until then it's all speculation.

You are right though that if you buy as live in it doesn't really matter what the current prices are.

What comes to renting i believe it might pay off this time in Thailand. I mean when prices are decreasing there is no hurry to buy, why not wait for few months or a year to see how it plays out? Especially if your money is invested back home making good returns :o

I answered 'No' to the FX question because I bought (wife did, that is) when the exchange was 35 baht/$ a few years back. The opportunity was there and I watched as the baht got stronger. My decision to buy was based upon an opportunity that came to me. The difference of 38 baht/$ versus 35 baht/$ didn't change that in my mind, so if a similar situation arises in the future, I will simply look at the situation at hand with the exchange rate available at that time and decide if it is worth pursuing. Additionally, when we bought the land, we used some money that was sitting in a Thai bank account from the sale of a different piece of land. I also don't see the exchange rate going much worse for me in the future, so I expect it to be about the same as now or more in my favor.

Donx put it in better here as i did. Fully agree with him. I "think" in Euros and for me FX is not really a factor when considering buying property here. It's been more or less the same over the last years and i expect it to stay that way. Then again if your money is in GBP definedly you could expect the rates to return to their previous levels sooner or later considering it bad time to buy now thus factoring FX in your decision.

And if you have made your money in baht and spend it in baht...

Thanks guys for some really helpful and intelligent posts (BTW I don't think this thread rates 2 stars ];-)

The FX 'NO' answer is essentially what I thought. People have transferred already and are no longer susceptible to FX movement.

I am sort of in the same position. I have paid for my Condo (the vast bulk of my FX exposure from a UK perspective) but have yet to transfer living expenses. So I answered 'YES' to the question (in my mind the two issues are related). To be brutally frank when I retire I do not wish to be bothering about market ups and downs, the biggest decision I would like to make is which restaurant to eat at :o

On FX - richm7 - There was a standing joke in the market that an FX trader had an attention span of a goldfish (30 seconds) and a treasurer just slightly longer. Being UK based for me timing is now an issue (I am now into my own forecast of between 10 months and 1 year 10 months to see a marked improvement in GBPTHB=)

But once again thanks guys - I wish i was one of you who voted 'NO' - PKRV :D

Edited by pkrv

I've been looking arond lately, checking prices on some up market condo's around the lower Sukumvit areas.

Seems to me the prices have remained the same from say this time last year!

I Don't know about the lower priced condo market but the 5 million+ market still looks very healthy to me.

Are you basing this observation on prices being asked or the results of actual

sales transactions?

I've been looking arond lately, checking prices on some up market condo's around the lower Sukumvit areas.

Seems to me the prices have remained the same from say this time last year!

I Don't know about the lower priced condo market but the 5 million+ market still looks very healthy to me.

Are you basing this observation on prices being asked or the results of actual

sales transactions?

My thoughts exactly, from personal experience in can say that Oleander in Soi 11 has lowered their price two times last year. Not much though but i have received offers from them (directly from their sales office at the lobby) by email myself.

Did you notice that the Oleander changed its name halfway through the construction process?

Yep, it was "colony" or something before ?

Also heard some complains against the developer in the forums. Don't know what's up but the units looked quite nice and the common areas were ok as well. Then it's all about maintenance once again to keep it nice :o

I am not so deeply immersed in the day to day changes within the market. I guess this is a natural conclusion to having already bought. One project that I sort of kept an eye on as a bellwether was The River. It has been around since first researching the market and in that time The Park, The Athenee, The Trendy and The Manhattan have all completed.

The River was always going to have an uphill struggle, but does anyone know its current status?

I am not so deeply immersed in the day to day changes within the market. I guess this is a natural conclusion to having already bought. One project that I sort of kept an eye on as a bellwether was The River. It has been around since first researching the market and in that time The Park, The Athenee, The Trendy and The Manhattan have all completed.

The River was always going to have an uphill struggle, but does anyone know its current status?

I don't know it's status but I just read this on the SET....

That the resignation of Mr. Nigel John Cornick, the Company's director

and Chief Executive Officer, be acknowledged and the appointment of Mr. Hubert

Romary Bertrand Viriot, the Company's director, as the Company's Chief

Executive Officer to replace Mr. Nigel John Cornick, be approved

http://www.set.or.th/set/newsdetails.do;js...amp;language=en

I don't know it's status but I just read this on the SET....

That the resignation of Mr. Nigel John Cornick, the Company's director

and Chief Executive Officer, be acknowledged and the appointment of Mr. Hubert

Romary Bertrand Viriot, the Company's director, as the Company's Chief

Executive Officer to replace Mr. Nigel John Cornick, be approved

http://www.set.or.th/set/newsdetails.do;js...amp;language=en

Thanks I will take a look at the development when back over in a few days time.

I note the reults are now becoming significant due to the number cast. Interesting those who whould consider renting or buying are almost neck and neck. I suspect for the buyers this is to protect themselves from FX movement, but could be wrong.

Edited by pkrv

I note the reults are now becoming significant due to the number cast. Interesting those who whould consider renting or buying are almost neck and neck. I suspect for the buyers this is to protect themselves from FX movement, but could be wrong.

I wouldn't read too much into those numbers. The reason is that the second poll question IMHO is actually asking two different questions that you have put into one. Since only one choice is allowed, I think you will see that some are actually answering the question of where prices will be (up, down, stay the same) versus answering the question if they consider renting or buying.

Edited by donx

Hi, what I've observed about condo sales anywhere is that they are typically volatile swinging upward or downward depending on supply and sales prices. Another factor that drives the condo market is a saturation of available units and weak demand. Obviously the Thais won't be in position to buy them and most westerners are already retreating into safer securities after being battered in the equity markets. Look for a major adjustment to the Thai condo market whereby it will become a buyer's market. I wouldn't be surprised to see a return to the IMF crisis of 97-98 in regard to this market segment. If you haven't sold, ride it out if you can and be prepared for your investment to go upside down, meaning you owe more than it's worth.

Can't answer because your response dose not reflect how the decisions are actually made.

Will prices go up, down or stay the same:

Prices will go up or stay stable for popular developments, based on individual decisions of quality for price/budget and location

Prices will go down for developments that are poor locations or have poor quality for the price.

Would you buy now if renting.

See above criteria since you have limited this to living in as opposed to investment to rent.

TH

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm I noted quiksilva's post to the thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...mp;qpid=2629456

Will Condo Prices In Bangkok Go Up Or Down?, HOW MUCH?

You do realise that this thread is out of date?
Will Condo Prices In Bangkok Go Up Or Down?, HOW MUCH?

Condo prices in BKK, 2 years outlook

Thaihome's responses to someone who dragged up this thread from the long dead graveyard were spot on.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2511591

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2511931

Why this discussion is still going now five pages after his comments, I'll never know.

Of course the outlook is different now, but if we want a new thread forecasting prices over the next two years, please go ahead.

This thread should have been closed 5 pages ago.

Adds to thought process and BTW I fully agreed with Thaihome's thoughts. Anyone with any CURRENT INFORMATION, NOT THE ELEPANTS GRAVE YARD got anything to add?

Edited by pkrv

In good old Mission Impossible Style - this thread will self destruct in two years (plus a little time to debate and hopfully allow us to start up a new thread :o )

In two years from this date

2009-02-19 10:31:50

Edited by pkrv

In good old Mission Impossible Style - this thread will self destruct in two years (plus a little time to debate and hopfully allow us to start up a new thread :o )

Deleveraging, deflation, over supply, collapse of demand, down is the trend. Oh yeah, and what should matter most values that are not sustainable at current income levels.

The Orleander may look finished but it is not really close. I assume the developer is either out of money or come to grips with economic reality. The building is probably 10% occupied and the remainder of the units are vanilla shell condition. They have not even completed the common areas on some floors. Feel sorry for the people that bought there. They cannot even keep the pool clean!

I am still trying to find an class A building in Bangkok as most of the finish work appears to fall considerably short. Makes me wonder about the quality of structure. I am sure they are for the most part OK but if you think it cannot happen google Harmon las vegas construction defect. How to turn 49 stories into 29 or less. Well at least they caught this one. Cash strapped developers seeing negative returns will go cheap and cut costs when possible. Sometimes legally and sometimes not. As a rule I would not buy anything currently under construction now as I am not at all familiar with construction defect laws in Thailand but I would assume they are not strong.

In good old Mission Impossible Style - this thread will self destruct in two years (plus a little time to debate and hopfully allow us to start up a new thread :D )

Deleveraging, deflation, over supply, collapse of demand, down is the trend. Oh yeah, and what should matter most values that are not sustainable at current income levels.

The Orleander may look finished but it is not really close. I assume the developer is either out of money or come to grips with economic reality. The building is probably 10% occupied and the remainder of the units are vanilla shell condition. They have not even completed the common areas on some floors. Feel sorry for the people that bought there. They cannot even keep the pool clean!

I am still trying to find an class A building in Bangkok as most of the finish work appears to fall considerably short. Makes me wonder about the quality of structure. I am sure they are for the most part OK but if you think it cannot happen google Harmon las vegas construction defect. How to turn 49 stories into 29 or less. Well at least they caught this one. Cash strapped developers seeing negative returns will go cheap and cut costs when possible. Sometimes legally and sometimes not. As a rule I would not buy anything currently under construction now as I am not at all familiar with construction defect laws in Thailand but I would assume they are not strong.

Is this you bingobongo? :D

This "new member" sounds exactly like you, same old doom and gloom you have been posting for years :o

It is isn't it? its you in disguise. :D

Stop driving up real estate prices. Go to a casino if you want to speculate.

Actually Livinginexile is an excellent poster you should read the trials and tribulations of 'The Trendy' thread to work out why. I am pretty sure he had a lot more hair before be bought - its that tough going ];-) but he has done fine.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Trendy-Condo...p;hl=The+Trendy

An anecdote (sorry prone to these). I fly Qantas and focus all my air miles/points on this oneworld carrier. I generally fly cattle class but bought premium economy tickets because we had enough points to try to upgrade to business class, and the cunning plan worked except on the way back.

The plane must have been heaving, and I know that people choosing the Australian (Qantas main market) route prefer to take the new A380 that goes via Singapore because the air staff (who are great) told us they are actually (metaphorically) having to strap people to the wings. Everyone wants to fly on the new plane.

Well we got the business class upgrade but at the boarding stage our boarding passes were 'beep' rejected. Taken to one side we were advised we were to be upgraded to first class, I guess because we had 'sort of paid' for business class using points but were gold members (sadly to fall back to silver next year).

There was just one free first class seat on the plane, and on the unpopular Bangkok route (not A380)

Are we actually in recession????????? Or just not giving our money away on pension funds and endowment policies and instead still investing in property. Is anyone else seeing full flights to/from Bangkok? Or am I misinterpreting?

Edited by pkrv

Stop driving up real estate prices. Go to a casino if you want to speculate.

Actually Livinginexile is an excellent poster you should read the trials and tribulations of 'The Trendy' thread to work out why. I am pretty sure he had a lot more hair before be bought - its that tough going ];-) but he has done fine.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Trendy-Condo...p;hl=The+Trendy

An anecdote (sorry prone to these). I fly Qantas and focus all my air miles/points on this oneworld carrier. I generally fly cattle class but bought premium economy tickets because we had enough points to try to upgrade to business class, and the cunning plan worked except on the way back.

The plane must have been heaving, and I know that people choosing the Australian (Qantas main market) route prefer to take the new A380 that goes via Singapore because the air staff (who are great) told us they are actually (metaphorically) having to strap people to the wings. Everyone wants to fly on the new plane.

Well we got the business class upgrade but at the boarding stage our boarding passes were 'beep' rejected. Taken to one side we were advised we were to be upgraded to first class, I guess because we had 'sort of paid' for business class using points but were gold members (sadly to fall back to silver next year).

There was just one free first class seat on the plane, and on the unpopular Bangkok route (not A380)

Are we actually in recession????????? Or just not giving our money away on pension funds and endowment policies and instead still investing in property. Is anyone else seeing full flights to/from Bangkok? Or am I misinterpreting?

I think a thorough and detailed analysis of the problems of the U.S. banks and insurance companies

( i.e. CDS )are not even close to having been rectified yet would be far more relevant than an account of your

detailed trip on a Qantas flight. :o

The average person hasn't got a clue about what is yet to come simply

because the mainstream media isn't covering it- maybe because it takes time to understand it. :D

I think a thorough and detailed analysis of the problems of the U.S. banks and insurance companies

( i.e. CDS )are not even close to having been rectified yet would be far more relevant than an account of your

Sorry that truly had me in hysterics :D - Whist mine was a true account of what happened, I suspect that unless madam la guillotine is redeployed against families and anyone including servants associated with them. Any other 'explanation' will not cut the mustard, or rebuild market credibility.

There is money around it is simply in cash. And perhaps it is time to redistribute, sorry claw back, some of it. Not a term you hear much about is it? Though tax loopholes are proposed to be closed and I note Gibraltar (childhood haunt) is one of them.

But the true question is, if you have cash what are you going to do with it?

Edited by pkrv

Sorry that truly had me in hysterics :D - Whist mine was a true account of what happened, I suspect that unless madam la guillotine is redeployed against families and anyone including servants associated with them. Any other 'explanation' will not cut the mustard, or rebuild market credibility.

There is money around it is simply in cash. And perhaps it is time to redistribute, sorry claw back, some of it. Not a term you hear much about is it? Though tax loopholes are proposed to be closed and I note Gibraltar (childhood haunt) is one of them.

Well anything other than buying a Bangkok condominium albatross :D

Well anything other than buying a Bangkok condominium albatross :D

And there in lies the acid test does it not?

I wouldn't read too much into those numbers. The reason is that the second poll question IMHO is actually asking two different questions that you have put into one. Since only one choice is allowed, I think you will see that some are actually answering the question of where prices will be (up, down, stay the same) versus answering the question if they consider renting or buying.

Sorry Donx - I did see this post but all sorts of things have happened since - LIFE.

Yes you are absolutely correct I could only ask three questions and whist I was editing replies were coming in and yes my first attempt at a poll, tricky stuff. BUT whist I agree that the second question is asking two questions it has had (IMO) the odd effect of polarising the yes and maybe vote. You can sort of see the guys on the sidelines, and the guys who have made a decision, sort of. Not great but interesting.