Where Is The Best Place To Snorkel In Thailand?

Komerican

I just came back from a trip to Khao Lak area and went to Similan Islands and Surin Islands. Snorkling was excellent in Surin and I was wondering if there are any better islands to snorkel in Thailand. If there are, can someone recommend where to go, how to go and where to stay?

I just came back from a trip to Khao Lak area and went to Similan Islands and Surin Islands. Snorkling was excellent in Surin and I was wondering if there are any better islands to snorkel in Thailand. If there are, can someone recommend where to go, how to go and where to stay?

Rather than snorkling in the islands, try it in the sea, that way you can see fish and things.

Rather than snorkling in the islands, try it in the sea, that way you can see fish and things.

How far off the islands are you talking about? I didn't snorkel by the beach if that's what you mean.

i Know it's a little bit different but i went scuba diving in Krabbi, there were tonnes of people snorkeling, it was amazing, so many fish ! if it helps i got a Thai guide from Ralai beach (or however you spell it) on the west side, highly recommended !

You've probably been to one of if not the best snorkeling areas in Thailand...

Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta also have great snorkeling.

If possible, making the upgrade and going scuba is well worth it. All of the above are great places to dive.

I was here for 10 years before taking this step and can't believe it took me so long. I thought I could see everything from the surface, but I was quite incorrect. It is so relaxing and there is so much more to see at depth.

Edited by richard_smith237

i Know it's a little bit different but i went scuba diving in Krabbi, there were tonnes of people snorkeling, it was amazing, so many fish ! if it helps i got a Thai guide from Ralai beach (or however you spell it) on the west side, highly recommended !

Thanks for the info, bailly. Krabi is one of the destinations that I am looking into.

You've probably been to one of if not the best snorkeling areas in Thailand...

Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta also have great snorkeling.

If possible, making the upgrade and going scuba is well worth it. All of the above are great places to dive.

I was here for 10 years before taking this step and can't believe it took me so long. I thought I could see everything from the surface, but I was quite incorrect. It is so relaxing and there is so much more to see at depth.

I've been to Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. They were nice places to snorkel too.

I also thought about taking up scuba when I was in Koh Phi Phi but I chickened out at the last moment. :o I am still not too comfortable in the ocean. But I am definitely going to try scuba one of these days.

koh tao is also great for snorkeling

I heard Koh Tao is beautiful, any recommendation for where to stay?

Speaking the truth, Koh Tao is not such a good area for diving/snorkeling. It became popular a few years back with backpacking divers and soared in popularity.

That side of Thailand, the Gulf of Thailand, does not have anything in the way of the natural underwater beauty found in the Andaman. best places or diving/snorkeling in Thailand are:

Koh Lanta

Similan Islands

Surin Islands

Now that we have located all the good spots for snorkelling, what is the best season with the clearest water?

My own guess would be December-June for Kho Chang and maybe a bit later for Phuket/Krabi due to the Monsoon. Sound about right?

Robert

I have been snorkelling around Similan Islands which was great, but the best I've seen is around Koh Chiang it was fantastic more fish and anemonies absolutly brilliant.

Good luck

Never been to Koh Chang. But if it's better than Similan then I should defnitely give it a try.

Last month I was on Ko Muk -- The snorkelling wasn’t great here but u can rent a boat for the day (baht1,000) and snorkel of Ko Kraden (25 minutes away) -- As u look at ko Kraden from Ko Muk, the best snorkelling is to the left -- three or four walls, massive amount of fishes -- unfortunately the Thai like to feed the fish, which of course is bad, but also good cos there's massive shawls -- When I lived in Australia I knew most of the species by name, but now all I can tell u is there were many different types, coral k and the walls make for a good day of snorkelling and only 25 minute boat ride -- Ko Muk better island to say on

How far off the islands are you talking about? I didn't snorkel by the beach if that's what you mean.

:o:D:D

Koh hong and around is the place. Go there with a longtail boat and a sparegun and you will get a lot of fish for a nice barbeque on the beach. Line fishing near rock islands in the early morning and late afternoon is also very productive.

The area is national park as well so you don't see thai fishermans around and the coral reffs are still in good condition, as they didn't do bomb fishing as in Ao nang or Koh Lanta....

Koh Tao and Koh Phangan used to be also very beatifull.......

koh tao is also great for snorkeling

I heard Koh Tao is beautiful, any recommendation for where to stay?

koh tao is one of my favorite places. everytime i go i rent a bike at angel's near the pier and head norht east. au hin wong is gorgeous and secluded. the treck there is difficult at first but you will get good at it. be sure to rent the 125. there is one hill that needs it. the rock view resort has a superb vista and the snorkeling there is great. the snorkeling is just a dive in the water away. the food is only ok though and the location does leave you a bit from the town. but its no trouble and so worth it. rooms were 250 a night and the view was worth every penny. the sunrise is nice and sometimes boats will moore in the harbor. yahts, sailboats, etc.

post-71340-1235300349_thumb.jpg