How Many Pattaya Visitors Visit Koh Larn (island)

IanForbes

I never hear of tourist recommendations for visiting Koh Larn Island, even though the ferries are usually full. It makes a great day trip and is certainly one of the better deals for a tourist on a limited budget. The 40 minute ferry ride is only 20 baht one way, and another 20 baht scooter ride over the "hill" if you don't want to walk the 2 km. The beaches on Koh Larn are FAR nicer than anything along the coastline near Pattaya and Jomptien. 10 years ago there were a few remote beaches on the far side of the island where you could get away from other tourists, but now all the beaches are developed. The upside is there is food and beverages for sale. The water is much clearer on the island and snorkling is worthwhile... although not up to a par in more famous places in the Andaman Sea. Here are just a few photos to wet your interest...

Boon_at_Koh_Larn_1.sized.jpg

Boon_at_main_beach.sized.jpg

These 2 photos were taken 10 years ago, so they are a little out of date, but still shows the island in its natural beauty

Kung_at_Ko_Lan_1_Em.jpg

Kung_at_Ko_Lan_5_Em.jpg

That is Loh Larn (Koh means island in Thai) in the hazy back ground from the top of the Jomptien tower

Jomptien_Tower_9.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

I did such a day-trip more than 2 years ago and I was outright SHOCKED to realize how CLEAN and CLEAR the water was.

unfortunately, I did not find any "secluded beaches", rather a fully developped and overcrowded beach-area, with 99% of the tourists there being Asians (mostly Chinese, I guess, plus some Thai).

a simple plate of fried rice set me back 150 baht, if I remember that right :o

as me and my companion had only 5 hours of time to spend there, we could not explore the area much. but for sure, if there are still unspoiled and not-overrun areas, then its worth a trip.

as I said, couldnt believe how clean the water was. it made me swim in the sea in the vicinity of Pattaya for the first time in my life.

I did such a day-trip more than 2 years ago and I was outright SHOCKED to realize how CLEAN and CLEAR the water was.

unfortunately, I did not find any "secluded beaches", rather a fully developped and overcrowded beach-area, with 99% of the tourists there being Asians (mostly Chinese, I guess, plus some Thai).

a simple plate of fried rice set me back 150 baht, if I remember that right :o

as me and my companion had only 5 hours of time to spend there, we could not explore the area much. but for sure, if there are still unspoiled and not-overrun areas, then its worth a trip.

as I said, couldnt believe how clean the water was. it made me swim in the sea in the vicinity of Pattaya for the first time in my life.

:D

Been to Koh Larn maybe 8 times- one of which, my TGF & I stayed overnight for three nights. That time, we took our motorbike on the ferry with us... great! It only cost an extra 100 baht for the bike, and this allowed us to cruise & look around the island before we had to decide where we'd stay. Almost stayed on the far side, at Sam Beach. Very nice beach, but the accomodations right on the sand were few and all were taken, so we declined the other rooms up & away from the actual surf. Went up the hill & checked out Chomtalay Resort (not really very resort-ish)- figured it'd be eery and too quiet at night time. The beaches on this side of Koh Larn are really pretty secluded, especially at low season.

So, we ended up staying at Sukkee guest house/restaurant, right in the middle of Tien Beach. Ok, there were quite a few tourists (Chinese, Koreans, Russians, Arabs, etc.) and Thai's all over the beach from maybe, 9:00 in the morning until 4:00 or so in the afternoon. But, it never got actually crowded in any way for us, stationed on our padded beach chaises. There's a lot of beach, which only increases as the water receeds back as the day goes along. All Koh Larn beaches have gorgeous turquoise water and very good people watching! But, everybody's up & out of there by 5:00, which left us; another few people staying at the same guest house; the staff; and not very many local Thai's as the only folks on the whole beach. By 7:00, on this huge beach, there were just 4 guesthouse guests, 3 staff & 4 oil lanterns, spiked into the sand. Oh, and one Thai man with a metal detector.

Highly recommended getaway spot, close to home but different by far...

I am staying there at the moment (3 days), very quiet, only about 20-25 people on naul beach yesterday in the south of the island, stayed overnight and town/village/port was dead. Today a bit busier but no more than 60 people on the beach. seems to be a lot of full ferry's going to and fro but not sure where there all going. baht bus prices are 30 -40 Baht per head to the beaches and I believe the same for the motorbike taxis. You can hire automatic motorbikes for 300Baht per day if you wish. Not much choice if you want falang food but some of the Thai food is great.

I am staying there at the moment (3 days), very quiet, only about 20-25 people on naul beach yesterday in the south of the island, stayed overnight and town/village/port was dead. Today a bit busier but no more than 60 people on the beach. seems to be a lot of full ferry's going to and fro but not sure where there all going. baht bus prices are 30 -40 Baht per head to the beaches and I believe the same for the motorbike taxis. You can hire automatic motorbikes for 300Baht per day if you wish. Not much choice if you want falang food but some of the Thai food is great.

Koh is Thai/English for island. Larn is Thai/English for coral.

The best snorkling is off the rocky points where most of the coral reef are located.

Ian_at_Koh_Larn_1.sized.jpg

Here are just a few of the local fish...

Under_water_1.sized.jpg

Reef_fish_1.sized.jpg

Reef_fish_1_001.sized.jpg

Reef_fish_4.sized.jpg

And there are other attractions...

Koh_Larn_trip_9.jpg

Koh_Larn_trip_12.sized.jpg

Koh is Thai/English for island. Larn is Thai/English for coral.

The best snorkling is off the rocky points where most of the coral reef are located.

Ian_at_Koh_Larn_1.sized.jpg

Here are just a few of the local fish...

Under_water_1.sized.jpg

Reef_fish_1.sized.jpg

Reef_fish_1_001.sized.jpg

Reef_fish_4.sized.jpg

And there are other attractions...

Koh_Larn_trip_9.jpg

Koh_Larn_trip_12.sized.jpg

I liked that fish behind the tree most.

as a friend told me one day in the past to console me: "dont worry, there are many fish in the south Chinese sea" . as well as on land, me thinks :o