Phu Kradung National Park, Loei

Spaniel

My wife and I are planning a camping trip to Phu Kradung NP around the first week of March. I have been told it is about a 4 to 5 hour hike to the camp grounds. We live in Bangkok and plan to drive to Loei on 1 March and spend the night in a hotel in the area of the park then depart early for the hike to the camp area. Any suggestions as to where to stay. Something inexpensive will do. Can anyone who has camped there tell us what type of camping facilities are availble? Do they have cabins or only camping? We camp quite often at Khao Yai but we dont fancy carring all our camping gear on a 4 hour hike. I'm told porters are available but would prefer to rent a tent etc if available. Any helpful hints from those that have done the trip would be appreciated.

My wife and I are planning a camping trip to Phu Kradung NP around the first week of March. I have been told it is about a 4 to 5 hour hike to the camp grounds. We live in Bangkok and plan to drive to Loei on 1 March and spend the night in a hotel in the area of the park then depart early for the hike to the camp area. Any suggestions as to where to stay. Something inexpensive will do. Can anyone who has camped there tell us what type of camping facilities are availble? Do they have cabins or only camping? We camp quite often at Khao Yai but we dont fancy carring all our camping gear on a 4 hour hike. I'm told porters are available but would prefer to rent a tent etc if available. Any helpful hints from those that have done the trip would be appreciated.

i did phu kradung more than 4 years ago so things may have changed but there were porters to carry anything you want(10baht per kilo when i went) i suggest anything you don't need on the actual hike you give to the porters its well worth the 10baht a kilo , its about 9 kilometres to reach the camping area(best part of 6 kilometres is the climb) you can rent tents(very basic) there were no cabins at the time i went , i paid before the climb got a receipt , handed it over for ground sheet and sleeping bags on arrival at the camp , tents are already erected . there are communal shower facilities but only cold water and quite busy(take some of those wet wipes very handy for just cleaning hands and face etc . you can buy basic oil lamps for light but i suggest you take a couple of good torches(1 each) take batteries also , most things there are more expensive due to a 9 kilometre walk for the nearest competition . I am sure you will go to see the famous sunset but remember to take your torches because its a 6-8 kilometre walk back to the camp in the dark(don't worry you won't be walking alone) . Regards a hotel near to Phu kradung i cannot help , i came from Loei city which is about 80 kilometres north of the mountain . good luck i am sure you will enjoy the scenary and waterfalls etc .