Iphone Functionality In Los

lolex

Hi, I've read some of the threads re iphone, but couldn't see an answer to my question.

Will my email (google) access function?

Will my internet access function?

Will Bloomberg and similar news services work?

(All assming I'm near a wifi spot... 3G is not 'here' yet as I understand it)

What kind of sim and scaratch card do i need to get from 7/11? (I've got a standard 1-2-Call sim at the moment.

Thanks a lot !!

Will my email (google) access function?

Will my internet access function?

Will Bloomberg and similar news services work?

the key answer to this is yes, heres why at least from what I understand your email and bloomberg most like are going to access the nearest server account or whatever location they have for their services. I'll assume your bloomberg is the application you downloaded from the app store. All the internet is really just data and packets you should not have any problem accessing mail or bloomberg

if its an open wifi spot you would not have any problem connecting but not highly recommended especially if you have sensitive emails in your account. but if you don't have anything sensitive should be fine

What kind of sim and scaratch card do i need to get from 7/11? (I've got a standard 1-2-Call sim at the moment

I could be wrong on this I do believe a sim card you pay for should be able to access internet but using internet on a prepayed sim can be very expensive and drain your sim card quite fast.

12-call internet uses edge, which is slower than 3G but is good enough for Bloomberg and emails and though it's not fast you can surf the internet... The charge is 1 baht per minute if you don't have a plan or you can call the service center (1175) and get an edge plan, mine for example is 200 baht a month, for 50 hours of Edge service. You can use the sim card you have now, you do not need a special sim card.

Just remember to turn the Fetch New Data Option under Settings to off, or you will be using edge continuously and be charged for it... I figured that out when I used up a 300 baht card overnight when I first came here...

if its an open wifi spot you would not have any problem connecting but not highly recommended especially if you have sensitive emails in your account. but if you don't have anything sensitive should be fine

Is this true? I thought iphones were secure and was planning on using mine for email when I'm there in a few weeks.

is this true? I thought iphones were secure and was planning on using mine for email when I'm there in a few weeks.

please when it comes to even the iphone, anything you do online is truly never secure even when you have updates, using vpns, or ssl ( even then ssl can be spoofed ) the reason I post that is if you are using an open wifi that has no WPA or WPA2, you are essentially sending packets over air, meaning anyone who has a bad intent with a packet sniffer can get access to your data. The truth is it can happen to anyone but so far there haven't been wide cases of this though. I said if you have sensitive data on your email, ( then again if you have sensitive data, you'd be better off using a wired connection with vpn.

the whole 3G issues from my understanding due to licensing issues, consession fee's, corruption to, 3G may have wide access around thailand maybe in 2 years or more, but considering how thailands internet infrastructure is now I don't have many hopes on 3G here. Especially since international bandwidth all goes through CAT anyway.

Yes, as others have said, the above should work with WiFi; and yes, your iPhone 3G will work with the Edge available from AIS--but keep in mind that your iPhone needs to be unlocked in order to use a different provider. Yours might already be, depending on where you got it, but if not and you don't feel like doing it yourself, there is a shop at airport plaza (Chiang Mai) that will do it for you. I've had both the first gen iPhone and now the 3G unlocked there and they are doing fine.

Edited by mild7even

is this true? I thought iphones were secure and was planning on using mine for email when I'm there in a few weeks.

please when it comes to even the iphone, anything you do online is truly never secure even when you have updates, using vpns, or ssl ( even then ssl can be spoofed ) the reason I post that is if you are using an open wifi that has no WPA or WPA2, you are essentially sending packets over air, meaning anyone who has a bad intent with a packet sniffer can get access to your data. The truth is it can happen to anyone but so far there haven't been wide cases of this though. I said if you have sensitive data on your email, ( then again if you have sensitive data, you'd be better off using a wired connection with vpn.

the whole 3G issues from my understanding due to licensing issues, consession fee's, corruption to, 3G may have wide access around thailand maybe in 2 years or more, but considering how thailands internet infrastructure is now I don't have many hopes on 3G here. Especially since international bandwidth all goes through CAT anyway.

Dammit! :o

As others have stated, if you connect on an open wifi network, all your data are passing unencrypted through the air and could be sniffed by the geek on a laptop sitting across the room from you at Starbucks. That's the way all wifi connections are, not just iPhones.

There is a security solution, however. The iPhone can be configured to use VPN, and this will create a secure, encrypted connected that cannot be sniffed and decoded. There are several solutions out there:

AnchorFree offer free VPN accounts. You can also use it from your laptop. They do place small adverts at the top of each page when you are looking at web sites, and they can also be a bit slow sometimes:

AnchorFree

Witopia is a paid service, but without the adverts and faster with more options. I have been using them for years and they have top-notch and immediate support should you run into a problem:

Witopia

Another benefit of using VPN is that all traffic is routed through the VPN server (the above two are in the USA), so you won't have any blocked pages or snooping in any country that employs censorship. For example, in Dubai, all Skype call connections are blocked by the government, apparently to protect their IDD revenues. Connect to VPN, and Skype works perfectly.

Ive just bought an iPhone at True and really like it!

previously I used all kinds of Windows Mobile devices (like Samsung Omnia, HTCs, etc.) and am addicted to "eWallet", "Tiny Stocks" manager ,etc....

does anyone know of a good counterpart program (mirroring "Tiny Stocks" by Illium software) for iPhones.....I really want portfolios and asset manager iPhone apps which can handle multiple currencies, commodities, metals, mutual funds, stocks (and the great range of international stock exchanges) like Tiny Stocks did in Windows Mobile platform (in an integrated program)..... (I dont think Bloomberg for iPhone does this)....

Ive just bought an iPhone at True and really like it!

previously I used all kinds of Windows Mobile devices (like Samsung Omnia, HTCs, etc.) and am addicted to "eWallet", "Tiny Stocks" manager ,etc....

does anyone know of a good counterpart program (mirroring "Tiny Stocks" by Illium software) for iPhones.....I really want portfolios and asset manager iPhone apps which can handle multiple currencies, commodities, metals, mutual funds, stocks (and the great range of international stock exchanges) like Tiny Stocks did in Windows Mobile platform (in an integrated program)..... (I dont think Bloomberg for iPhone does this)....

If you simply want to check share prices, commodities, currencies, etc., the built-in Stocks application should do the job for you. All you need is the Yahoo symbol for any of those. Hint: for currencies, use this format (using US$ to Thai Baht as an example): USDTHB=X Stocks also presents historic graphs.

If you have your shares in a brokerage account and would like to check your actual portfolio value, have a look at Pageonce, available for free from the Apple Store.

Edited by bubba

Similar question from me:

I am getting interested in buying this phone.

I am probably happy to use the True package while I am in Thailand.

But I will soon be taking the family for a holiday to Australia for a month, and when passing through Bangkok on the way, that is when I'd buy the phone. So almost immediately I'd be using it in Australia.

If I buy it from True - can I unlock it (I think that is the correct term)? So as I can put in a pre paid SIM card whilst in Australia?

Would that even be a good idea / worth it?

as someone already said above, Iphone from true move is factory sim unlocked one and therefore you can use any of GSM carrier services. my self also used AIS one two call sim, but just changed it to true promotion one. u can buy true sim card, pay only 250baht per month / unlimited Edge/GPRS with internet. it works pretty good and they only ask for your passport. no need work permit. for the WIFI, or 3G service, its 299baht per month(first 3months free and from the 4th month 30hours per month free, then u pay 1.25satang per min.

about the Wifi, if you are in Bangkok or Chiangmai, they have services, but where i am at there is no Wifi coverage, and to make sure, my office got wifi modem and Iphone does catches signal, but i think speed is pretty much same as when i use Edge service from true.(to be honest, i'm not sure if im using edge or wifi, when i'm on it =P) if i'm not missing any, its pretty much same. web surfing is fair & ok. much better than other phones i used to own.

Edited by hellracer

If you simply want to check share prices, commodities, currencies, etc., the built-in Stocks application should do the job for you. All you need is the Yahoo symbol for any of those. Hint: for currencies, use this format (using US$ to Thai Baht as an example): USDTHB=X Stocks also presents historic graphs.

If you have your shares in a brokerage account and would like to check your actual portfolio value, have a look at Pageonce, available for free from the Apple Store.

thanks! I'll try Pageonce for account loggin for US accounts....I also wish PORTFOLIO LIVE app worked....it also states 'NO NETWORK CONNECTION"