Hypertension, Sodium And Thai Food

buadhai

Its amazing how so many people just love talking about all the toxic chemical drugs they take for their “health”!

That’s right, you sound like a bunch of drug addicts.

Drugs come from a “drug store” a friend once told me.

I wouldn’t take any of the drugs you are talking about. Why don’t you figure it out, its most likely your diet that is killing you and the drugs only make more problems in the end.

But if you stopped this nonsense what would you have to write/ talk about?

:o Try aloe vera juice, fresh in the morning and real organic fresh RAW coconut oil or the milk (not cooked).

If you can’t find this PM me and I will help you find it.

We are talking about real nutrition which most people don’t have a clue about!

Uh huh.

It must be lovely for you to feel so superior to people who have decided to do the responsible thing and submit to SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN Western medicine to do what they can to try to prolong their life.

It so happens every human is an individual, and we all have different genetics, different histories, and different levels of discipline in pursuing more natural therapies, which are undoubtedly good for many BUT NOT ALL people.

I think people who look themselves in the mirror and know they have done all they can or are willing to do with natural therapies, and decide they are going to medically treat their condition with MEDICATIONS, DRUGS or whatever the ###### you want to call it, are wise, mature, sensible people.

Its amazing how so many people just love talking about all the toxic chemical drugs they take for their “health”!

That’s right, you sound like a bunch of drug addicts.

Drugs come from a “drug store” a friend once told me.

I wouldn’t take any of the drugs you are talking about. Why don’t you figure it out, its most likely your diet that is killing you and the drugs only make more problems in the end.

But if you stopped this nonsense what would you have to write/ talk about?

:D Try aloe vera juice, fresh in the morning and real organic fresh RAW coconut oil or the milk (not cooked).

Uh huh.

It must be lovely for you to feel so superior to people who have decided to do the responsible thing and submit to SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN Western medicine to do what they can to try to prolong their life.

It so happens every human is an individual, and we all have different genetics, different histories, and different levels of discipline in pursuing more natural therapies, which are undoubtedly good for many BUT NOT ALL people.

I think people who look themselves in the mirror and know they have done all they can or are willing to do with natural therapies, and decide they are going to medically treat their condition with MEDICATIONS, DRUGS or whatever the ###### you want to call it, are wise, mature, sensible people.

Well said sir, Hypertension is still not fully understood by the medical fraternity,according to my cardiologist they think it is linked to liver function and aging, but here we have all the miracle cures posted on TVF. HMMMMMM :o

Also try to eat in restaurant with the 'NO MSG' sign. This shit is gonna kill us all!

Where have you seen restaurants with a 'NO MSG' sign?In Bangkok? I take this seriously and I'd be very interested to know...

I've seen one passing by asoke (sukh 21), in the soi that makes the junction between sukh 21 et 23. This soi starts where is the big SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK (the purple bank).

Here is a puzzler. One year ago at my visa medical, my BP was found to be 150/90, testing over the next few days was in a similar range so I went to a private hospital and had a full cardio and blood check-up. The diagnosis was hypotension plus they found me low on testosterone,now the only medication I have been taking is Andriol testosterone caps.

Yesterday and retested today my BP is down to 124/80 ,doctor is quite puzzled...

Here is a puzzler. One year ago at my visa medical, my BP was found to be 150/90, testing over the next few days was in a similar range so I went to a private hospital and had a full cardio and blood check-up. The diagnosis was hypotension plus they found me low on testosterone,now the only medication I have been taking is Andriol testosterone caps.

Yesterday and retested today my BP is down to 124/80 ,doctor is quite puzzled...

Maybe the testosterone boost stopped you from worrying about sex....

:o

Maybe the testosterone boost stopped you from worrying about sex....

:D

:o no probs there, like a trout feeding, rises every night and morning :D

:o Try aloe vera juice, fresh in the morning and real organic fresh RAW coconut oil or the milk (not cooked).

Do you make your own Aloe Vera Juice, if so how ? I have a garden full of the stuff.

Do you make your own Aloe Vera Juice, if so how ? I have a garden full of the stuff.

Where can I buy aloe vera juice?

Thanks for your reply to my question, FrenchFarang, that helps. I'll try to locate the NO MSG restaurant you mentioned.

And I'd like to reiterate FrenchFarang's question: where can we find fresh aloe vera here in BKK? (it can be found, because I saw it somewhere, some time ago: it was some kind of large leaf that you cut open to extract the flesh that looks like white/translucent jelly. Unfortunately, I had no interest for it at that time, and now I can't remember where it was. I hope fresh aloe vera can help improve one's memory, too...)

Most doctors don't tell you this, but normal levels of salt intake only affect the blood pressure of some people. It should be easy enough to check your blood pressure while on a low-sodium diet versus your blood pressure on a normal sodium diet. If it does affect your blood pressure it will always do so, and then salt should be avoided. If it doesn't, AND you have no heart conditions, then you can probably ignore the low-sodium wisdom. If you have any heart condition, particularly heart failure of any kind, you need to be on a seriously sodium and fluid restricted diet.

I would advise caution with the use of ACE inhibitors in Thailand. They interact with capsaicin, the spicy content of hot peppers. It can cause a chronic dry cough. Ma huang, or ephedra derivatives like ephedrine in cold medication can interfere with the ACE inhibitor and make it work less well.

Thanks for your reply to my question, FrenchFarang, that helps. I'll try to locate the NO MSG restaurant you mentioned.

And I'd like to reiterate FrenchFarang's question: where can we find fresh aloe vera here in BKK? (it can be found, because I saw it somewhere, some time ago: it was some kind of large leaf that you cut open to extract the flesh that looks like white/translucent jelly. Unfortunately, I had no interest for it at that time, and now I can't remember where it was. I hope fresh aloe vera can help improve one's memory, too...)

Found some at TOPS THONG LO (sukh 55).

Tipco sells cartons of Aloe Vera/White Grape juice in their Squeeze product line (usually found near the milk)...don't know the percentage aloe included though, but you can find this just about anywhere.

Not an endorsement as I've never tried it, and I would doubt that this is the kind of health food quality we're talking about, but just passing it along...maybe better than nothing (and Tipco does some of the best juice I've had anywhere, IMHO).

• 3 weeks later...

OK, been in LOS a couple of months now. Finally cracked out the home blood pressure meter and was surprised to see that mine was only 120/70.

Decided to stop the meds (Moexipril, an ACE inhibitor) for a while and see what would happen. After a week of no meds my BP averages 125/75; resting pulse in the low 60's/high 50's.

So, don't know if the reduced BP is a result of less stress because of retirement, or the benefits of Thai food. I eat a mixed diet; mostly Thai, but farang meals several times a week. Plenty of exercise. Three or four cans of Chang per night. Weight steady at 80 kilos.

Never felt better....

:o

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only 33 years, and 160/90 unmedicated. My doctor just upped my prescription from 5 mg. Enaril to 20 mg. Enaril. I have acupuncture treatment once a week, for high blood pressure.

Is it unrealistic to think that some day I will be able to wean off of the Enaril, and acupuncture will kick in. I am trying a holistic approach, along with some yoga and meditation, and changing my eating habits.

I have a positive feeling about acupuncture, and am willing to stick it out, even though I haven't seen results yet. I am just discouraged that my doctor increased my prescription 4 times yesterday from 5 mg. to 20 mg.

I suggest you get a home blood pressure meter and monitor yourself. You might find that it is lower when you are not under the pressure of the doc's office.

Also, by monitoring it yourself you can see the effects of different foods and activities. Maybe you also might see the effects of the acupuncture.

Why did the doctor increase the dosage? What was your BP while on the 5 mg dose?

Try drug.com or any of the other web pages which provide consumer informantion regarding drugs.

Google the drug name and you will get much information.

I am presently "titrating" my drugs and monitoring my pressures many times during the day on my home blood pressure machine.

I was taking diruretics and beta blockers for years before I gave them up upon retirement. Pressure was borderline until I gained weight and got more sedentary.

So I started on a low dose of beta blocker and low dose of diruretic and my pressure is normal once again. I am concerned about potassium loss from the diruretics so am trying a non-potassium depleting diuretic but I am not back quite to normal so may increease the dosage in a few days.

Your doctor will continue to try drugs until he gets your pressure down.

I never took vasodilators such as Enaril (ace inhibitors) as they have side effects. If I can do the job with drugs I have taken before and ones from which I had no side effects, I will do so.

If I am unsuccessful in reaching a normal blood pressure with my own efforts, will see a cardiologist and go from there. It looks like 100mg of Beta blocker and 50mg of diuretic takes me to normal or below 24/7 so I am a happy camper.

Ace inhibitors were undiscovered when I was your age so it very well may be the drug of choice, if it works on you, trust your doctor in this regard but due your own research and question him if you have any doubts.

Let him explain why he chose Enaril for you as opposed to Diazide (diuretic) or Beta blockers.

Since I'll probably be consuming most meals out, I won't have much of a chance

I just can't see giving up things like som tom, curries and gkuay dtiow....

Surely you can try making some compromises before you start taking meds for the problem. Cook for yourself more, eat less salty dishes. You can also ask that your dishes if possible be prepared w/ no salt, and in many cases the cook will comply if she/he remembers. Lots of farangs do that already w/ regard to chillies. Save the very salty stuff for occasional meals if you've just got to eat it.

• 4 weeks later...
The doc who signed my retirement visa health cert took the time to talk to me about my blood pressure which has always been an untreated 140/90. He says that's too high and that I should try to reduce it by reducing the sodium in my diet. (I'm 55, weigh 80 kilos and run 8K per day.) If I can't, I should go on meds, probably ACE inhibitors.

Based on my own impression and some Internet research I'm coming to the conclusion that the typical Thai diet, which I will be consuming, is way too high in sodium. Since I'll probably be consuming most meals out, I won't have much of a chance to try to reduce that.

Anyone out there with HBP successfully reduced it by lowering sodium intake while continuing to consume mostly Thai-food?

My inclination is to just go on the meds and eat (mostly) what I like.

As it is, I don't season my food with salt or fish sauce (much) and don't consume foods (like preserved meats) that are high in sodium.

I just can't see giving up things like som tom, curries and gkuay dtiow....