Ipstar Alternatives

Phil Conners

I've just been informed by TOT that my area (Pattaya M. 6) doesn't have ADSL coverage yet, and they have no idea when it will happen, if ever. TTT has ADSL coverage but no "number" (no available lines). For this reason I'm forced to look at alternatives.

After reading people's experience with IPstar I've not been impressed. The quality looks way below par, shoddy support and high price. Their website confirms the high price:

Shin Satellite Net Profit at Baht 1,080 million in 2003

Nonthaburi, Thailand - 25th February 2004 - Shin Satellite Public Company Limited.

SATTEL's consolidated sales and service income for the year 2003 increased by 16% or Baht 808 million to Baht 5,808 million due to strong growth of Indochina businesses and the merger of the internet business.

However, net profit at Baht 1,080 million, a decline of Baht 331 million or 23.4% from the previous year was due to an increase in cost of sales and service, largely due to the cost of implementing the IPSTAR project, and a higher level of corporate income tax compared to the previous year.

Bhu-hu-hu, only 20% net profit on turnover... this can only be done in a monopoly environment.

I know IPstar is supposed to be the only choice, but browsing the interent just briefly brought op speedcast.com and bentleywalker.net who both seems to cover Thailand and, since they beam from countries with competition, probably seriously lower prices. I'll off course contact them to find out, but it would be interesting to know if anyone already have experience with these?