Annoying Things Thais Do Around Town

Phil Conners

Throw and/or burn rubbish anytime, anywhere

Wash their car in our drinking water (the reservoirs)

Drive around in cars with speakers on the outside, trying to be as loud as possible

Operate and/or frequent open-air karaoke bars

Drive complete oblivious that there are other people on the road

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drive around in cars with speakers on the outside, trying to be as loud as possible

Because its their country and they can do what they like :o

Hey, it's there town, so they can do what they like !

Burning things without any regard to residential, commercial and school zones continues to baffle me. I recall one day driving near the new Central shopping plaza in Phuket and thinking the whole place was on fire. Upon closer inspection, I saw the massive bonfire raging across the street from Central. It seems the locals felt it was time to burn their garbage at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon near the busiest intersection of the island. I wonder what the tourists think when they saw that.

Definitely one of the stupidest sights I have ever seen.

The old saw 'its their country' doesn't apply when its the environment they're harming. I always find it so depressing when I see roadsides in otherwise beautiful places full of litter thrown from cars. Its everywhere in Thailand as well and is becoming a serious problem.

For a nation so proud of their country, Thais sure don't take care of it.

I recall taking the sleeper train from Butterworth (Malaysia) to Bangkok. Really impressed with the organisation, efficiency etc - including when the conductor came round with large plastic sacks to collect the accumulated garbage (food wrappings, leftovers, cans, bottles etc).

A lot less impressed when he then opened the door and slung the sacks out from the moving train.

I know it's their country and all that good stuff. But many of us do pay taxes here and contribute a great deal to the economy, therefore, we can be annoyed at times. With that said, a few things that can be annoying is the amount of people who think sidewalks are meant for motorcycle riding. To me there is nothing worse than turning a sidewalk corner to be greeted by a motrocyle in your groin area.

Like posters have mentioned the amount of garbage strewn into the streets and canals is troublesome.

All true, especially what the knowledgeable Professor stated -- but we can't do a ###### thing about any of it -- the bigger picture? yeah, all these complaints, and it still is the best place to live, bar none. Place the focus there amigos.

Want to go back to England and have your soul just say "<deleted> it?"

Or back to the States and crawl on the San Diego freeway in total misery and ask yourself frequently, "what the ###### am I doing here in this slow-death purgatory?"

God do I love it so!

It may be their country, but it's ###### well part of our all's planet so they could ###### well take care of it.

Anyway the thread was just meant to balance another thread about annoying things farangs do (though most of the things listed in that thread were rather pointless).

Edited by madsere

All true, especially what the knowledgeable Professor stated -- but we can't do a ###### thing about any of it -- the bigger picture?  yeah, all these complaints, and it still is the best place to live, bar none.  Place the focus there amigos. 

Want to go back to England and have your soul just say "<deleted>  it?"

Or back to the States and crawl on the San Diego  freeway in total misery and ask yourself frequently, "what the ###### am I doing here in this slow-death purgatory?"

God do I love it so!

Harmonica, couldn't agree more. Wouldn't live anywhere else on the planet. Don't understand these guys. Do they believe Thai's actually read this farang thread and are going to "shape up" because a few whiney foreigners say they should? If I do recall, we had our share of pollution, filth, crime, etc. back in the good ole USofA. And if some foreign d**khead were to come over to the US and complain about our way of life, I certainly would tell him to go the heck back to where he came from (after telling him to go piss up a rope). So it wouldn't surprise me if the average Thai would respond in pretty much the same way.

All true, especially what the knowledgeable Professor stated -- but we can't do a ###### thing about any of it -- the bigger picture?  yeah, all these complaints, and it still is the best place to live, bar none.   Place the focus there amigos. 

Or back to the States and crawl on the San Diego  freeway in total misery and ask yourself frequently, "what the ###### am I doing here in this slow-death purgatory?"

God do I love it so!

Harmonica, couldn't agree more. Wouldn't live anywhere else on the planet. Don't understand these guys. Do they believe Thai's actually read this farang thread and are going to "shape up" because a few whiney foreigners say they should? If I do recall, we had our share of pollution, filth, crime, etc. back in the good ole USofA. And if some foreign d**khead were to come over to the US and complain about our way of life, I certainly would tell him to go the heck back to where he came from (after telling him to go piss up a rope). So it wouldn't surprise me if the average Thai would respond in pretty much the same way.

:o Most definetly agree Dude.

Upon closer inspection, I saw the massive bonfire raging across the street from Central.  It seems the locals felt it was time to burn their garbage at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon near the busiest intersection of the island.  I wonder what the tourists think when they saw that. 

Tell the tourists the bonfires are a ceremony and charge them to have their picture taken in front of it.

All true, especially what the knowledgeable Professor stated -- but we can't do a ###### thing about any of it -- the bigger picture?  yeah, all these complaints, and it still is the best place to live, bar none.   Place the focus there amigos. 

God do I love it so!

Interesting quote,have the USofA signed up to the Kyoto Protocol yet ? Or are they still pissed that some foreign d**kheads (i.e. the international community) are trying to do something about climate change.I understand your point veiw, because America never went over somewhere and complained aout how others did things did they ?

We are allowed an opinion ,sometimes we may simply be raging against the machine , however just because it's not our country doesn't mean we have to agree with all that happens.

I recall taking the sleeper train from Butterworth (Malaysia) to Bangkok. Really impressed with the organisation, efficiency etc - including when the conductor came round with large plastic sacks to collect the accumulated garbage (food wrappings, leftovers, cans, bottles etc).

A lot less impressed when he then opened the door and slung the sacks out from the moving train.

:o:D Love it!

But if you would have observed carefully, he likely did that before the train crossed over in to Thailand. :o

When the starry eyed backpacker or tourists see for themselves that the friendly smiling Thais are capable of polluting their own city and covering their countryside with plastic bags and bottles, a certain confused disappointment sets in....hmmm.

But if you would have observed carefully, he likely did that before the train crossed over in to Thailand.  :D

I doubt it... I've seen the national parks where the newspapers and plastic bags roam free. :o

cv

What? Did you say there's rubbish in our national parks? It must be those foreign tourists, or Burmese workers.

:D

Ubelieveable isn't it?

When I took the Rapid the other day, I was amazed as the people one by one, finished their food/drink, and promptly threw the trash out the window.

I was stunned. It reminded me of the surrounding towns in Naples, Italy, which is one of the filthiest places I've ever been. People would take their trash in the car and just toss it out on the roadside.

Yuck !!

But if you would have observed carefully, he likely did that before the train crossed over in to Thailand. :o

Nope. As I should have said in my first post, it was about an hour or so before we got into Hualamphong. And about half an hour before we reached all the track-side shacks on the approaches.............. always wondered whether he was being considerate to the people who live there or inconsiderate because he denied them the chance to pick through the garbage looking for stuff to reclaim and sell. Either way, it seems crazy that all that stuff couldn't have been stowed and dealt with after we got into the station a short while later.

By the way, to those who feel such a need to "bite back", this thread started as just a straightforward invitation for contributions about annoying things that Thais do (in the same vein as the threads about the annoying things that farang do). Calm down, folks............. not everything is an attack that needs a defence.

Edited by Steve2UK

Ubelieveable isn't it?

When I took the Rapid the other day, I was amazed as the people one by one, finished their food/drink, and promptly threw the trash out the window.

I was stunned. It reminded me of the surrounding towns in Naples, Italy, which is one of the filthiest places I've ever been. People would take their trash in the car and just toss it out on the roadside.

Yuck !!

And that reminds me of my one visit to Rome. I'll never forget all the trash and junk (prams, bikes etc) that was dumped into the Colosseum basements. [sorry - off topic, I know]

Edited by Steve2UK

Yuck !!

Of all the places I've been to in the world, I've found Naples the most dirty. Streets generally disorganised, ugly buildings and cracked pavements etc. Took the train to Pompeii from Naples and couldn't believe the amount of shit everywhere!

I find it mildly annoying listening to the Thai national anthem on a Thai tv in the background somewhere around midday or mid afternoon.

It always causes me to look at my watch and think 'Schit! It's not 6 o'clock already is it?'. :o

:D:D

I can't stand:

1. When someones cell phone rings on public transport and they have it set to the highest volume possible. So they take it out of their pocket or purse, look at it for a few seconds all the while its ringing my eardrums out and annoying the ###### out of me. Just answer the thing quickly. Why do you need to look at it so long? It's as if they want everyone around them to know they have a phone so as to look important.

2. Upon approaching an escalator, people look down at it and pause for a couple seconds before stepping on it. Why? Just get on!!!! The thing isn't gonna bite you!

3. Driving habits in LOS don't need to be covered by me again. You already know about those but foot traffic makes me just as crazy. When walking in a crowded mall or street and there is limited room, people that just mill around and stop in the middle of the walkway when others are trying to pass drive me crazy as well. They know and see you are trying to pass and don't even care. They just stand there looking off into space. If I stop to look at something and see other people trying to go around me, I try to accommodate them. If my wife is standing around doing that too, I will move her for others because I know how annoyed I would be in that situation. People are so selfish. Frickin move!!!!

4. Some people have no regards for elder folks either. When I see elder people walking around me, I try and do what I can for them. Whether it be holding open a door for them, letting them go before me, carrying something heavy for them, etc etc. Most people pay no attention to them. Why not?

This all basically comes down to people being selfish. This is by no means only Thais I am talking about either. It's everyone. People need to learn some respect and basic manners.

I can't stand:

1. When someones cell phone rings on public transport and they have it set to the highest volume possible.  So they take it out of their pocket or purse, look at it for a few seconds all the while its ringing my eardrums out and annoying the ###### out of me.  Just answer the thing quickly.  Why do you need to look at it so long?  It's as if they want everyone around them to know they have a phone so as to look important.

2.  Upon approaching an escalator, people look down at it and pause for a couple seconds before stepping on it.  Why?  Just get on!!!!  The thing isn't gonna bite you!

3.  Driving habits in LOS don't need to be covered by me again.  You already know about those but foot traffic makes me just as crazy.  When walking in a crowded mall or street and there is limited room, people that just mill around and stop in the middle of the walkway when others are trying to pass drive me crazy as well.  They know and see you are trying to pass and don't even care.  They just stand there looking off into space.  If I stop to look at something and see other people trying to go around me, I try to accommodate them.  If my wife is standing around doing that too, I will move her for others because I know how annoyed I would be in that situation.  People are so selfish.  Frickin move!!!!

4.  Some people have no regards for elder folks either.  When I see elder people walking around me, I try and do what I can for them.  Whether it be holding open a door for them, letting them go before me, carrying something heavy for them, etc etc.  Most people pay no attention to them.  Why not?

This all basically comes down to people being selfish.  This is by no means only Thais I am talking about either.  It's everyone.  People need to learn some respect and basic manners.

Here, here! I hate <deleted> like that to who mill around in the middle of the pavement without a care for others. Being in a queue and having the person behind you invade your space and keep banging against your back is also annoying as is <deleted> who don't wait for you to get off a bus, train etc and push passed to get on and the absolute worst of all is <deleted> queue jumpers!!!

I can't stand:

1. When someones cell phone rings on public transport and they have it set to the highest volume possible.  So they take it out of their pocket or purse, look at it for a few seconds all the while its ringing my eardrums out and annoying the ###### out of me.  Just answer the thing quickly.  Why do you need to look at it so long?  It's as if they want everyone around them to know they have a phone so as to look important.

2.  Upon approaching an escalator, people look down at it and pause for a couple seconds before stepping on it.  Why?  Just get on!!!!  The thing isn't gonna bite you!

3.  Driving habits in LOS don't need to be covered by me again.  You already know about those but foot traffic makes me just as crazy.  When walking in a crowded mall or street and there is limited room, people that just mill around and stop in the middle of the walkway when others are trying to pass drive me crazy as well.  They know and see you are trying to pass and don't even care.  They just stand there looking off into space.  If I stop to look at something and see other people trying to go around me, I try to accommodate them.  If my wife is standing around doing that too, I will move her for others because I know how annoyed I would be in that situation.  People are so selfish.  Frickin move!!!!

4.  Some people have no regards for elder folks either.  When I see elder people walking around me, I try and do what I can for them.  Whether it be holding open a door for them, letting them go before me, carrying something heavy for them, etc etc.  Most people pay no attention to them.  Why not?

This all basically comes down to people being selfish.  This is by no means only Thais I am talking about either.  It's everyone.  People need to learn some respect and basic manners.

No 1...maybe they are just seeing who is ringing in order to determine if they want to talk to that person

No 2...maybe they just wanna make sure that they put their foot on an actual step and not suffer the embarrassment and possible injury of having a fall

No 3...I am glad you mentioned that it is not just Thais as this problem especially in Pattaya is the bleedy farang couples and tour groups. They just stop and look at stalls with no consideration to what is happening around them.

No 4...Most thais do have a lot of respect for the elderly, moreso than I see here in my own country.

Perhaps if you were not speaking about Thais in particular, you could have made this a separate topic.