Storing Phantom For 2 Months

JSixpack

So I'll be leaving Thailand a couple months (and avoiding Songkran :o ). Not a long time, but should I disconnect the battery in my Phantom or do anything else? I expect it won't start when I get back . . . . Friend of mine used to run it once a week, but he'll be upcountry during the time in question.

Disconnect. Not sure if it will need a recharge if it was fully charged when you disconnect it, and if you give it a good ride when you reconnect it.

Ours is seldom used. The boyfriend 'charged'our Phantom at idle this morning. I doubt you can do much charging at 843 rpm...God, I hate bikes without tachometers...

If a mate could start the bike and ride around the block after a few weeks, that would be best IMHO.

After longer periods, the engine sounds like it is suffering . I would even ask the wife to move it a few meters and run it once or twice a few minutes.

Clogged carbs can be another issue!

Cheers, Chris

Another tip is have a completely full tank of fuel when you leave the bike, prevents condensation in the tank and consequent water in the fuel and corrosion in the tank.

I got a trickle charger which i plug into the bike when I leave it keeps the battery fully charged all the time, failing that unplug it and charge it fully up when you get back home. If you have paddock stands use them and a tarp or designated UV protector over your bike is a good thing as well.

Then lastly plug the exhaust with a plug or tie over a plastic bag, and do the same at the inlet to the air filter box. Usually I oil up a cloth and put it at the exhaust, plus air filter box with plastic bag to cover, this prevents humid air going into the system and in particular to the valves and cylinder (s)

When you come back drain off the carburetor or the fuel in the hoses, plus a tad more a deciliter or so to flush out crap and water from the system. Charge the battery and ride...

Cheers Bard

One last thing. DO NOT USE GASAHOL on your last tank or so of fuel. its crap and goes off real quick. will gum up ya carby in no time. Allan

Didn't know about the Gasahol, thanks, I have left my Phantom for as long as three months, has started ok, mind its only two years old, batteries I think like the hot weather :o

There's some good advice in this thread. I do NOT disconnect my battery for those three months I'm here, but it's a bit stupid. If I wasn't so lazy I'd follow the gas/battery advice and also do three more things. First I'd rubber band the clutch to the bar. This would keep the clutch from getting stuck; probably not something to worry about with only a couple of months storage but a potential problem. Secondly I'd get the bike up on chocks. This will keep the tyres from getting a flat spot and possibly rotting. Finally, I'd rub Vaseoline all over the chrome to prevent rust.

Oh and cover the sucker, but don't be surprised if you find all sorts of crawlies (which you could prevent by dousing the underside of the tarp with bug spray) on your bike. An old blanket would work best since it will provide a small amount of impact protection.

There's some good advice in this thread. I do NOT disconnect my battery for those three months I'm here, but it's a bit stupid. If I wasn't so lazy I'd follow the gas/battery advice and also do three more things. First I'd rubber band the clutch to the bar. This would keep the clutch from getting stuck; probably not something to worry about with only a couple of months storage but a potential problem. Secondly I'd get the bike up on chocks. This will keep the tyres from getting a flat spot and possibly rotting. Finally, I'd rub Vaseoline all over the chrome to prevent rust.

Oh and cover the sucker, but don't be surprised if you find all sorts of crawlies (which you could prevent by dousing the underside of the tarp with bug spray) on your bike. An old blanket would work best since it will provide a small amount of impact protection.

All good advice, hard work mind , Im the same as you :o I cover the Phantom, after 3 months away the biggest job I have is to clear all the wildlife from it when I take the cover off :D

Two months is nothing to worry about in my opinion. For longer periods I would empty the carb float bowls before storing the bike. Prevents gumming up the carb. You can just as easily run the carb(s) dry if you have a shut-off valve.

Be careful using a charger because it could boil out the water over a long period of time. Something like a Battery Tender is what works over long periods of storage.

I don't suggest strapping the clutch lever to the grip as that puts the clutch springs in tension and could weaken them. Everything has a memory, even clutch springs. Better to leave alone then when you want to start the bike again, put the bike in 1st gear and with the clutch lever pulled in, rock the bike back and forth until the clutch discs free up from the steel clutch rings. Then back to neutral and start the bike.

Edited by Sojourner