Simple Outdoor Meditation Stragegy ?

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup,

Context : sitting outside a few hours at a time, doused in sketolene or some mozzie repellent, is not working too well. Some kinds of creepy crawlers still get on me.

I have this desire to create an outdoor meditation platform or facility with the following goals :

1. cheap, does not have to be permanent, should be easy to assemble, easy to take down and put away in case of big storms. portable ? avoid problem of needing shade when sun is strong by simply moving the thing ? obviously a cheap solution is not expected to be rainproof (wish I could afford a nice teak sala that would be rainproof).

2. minimum restiction of view : as open to the sky and trees as possible.

3. mosquitoes and creepy crawlers cannot get in.

It may be the simplest answer is to just use the chair I use now and put my body into some kind of mosquito-netting bag : anyone have any specific ideas on this ?

Tent ? Umbrella ?

Use some concrete blocks of the typical kind for a base, put a wooden door frame on top of the bricks (buy unfinished and seal with waterproofing), fit some kind of brackets on the door frame, then stick poles in that to support a mesh covering ?

Appreciate any advice or ideas !

thanks, ~o:37;

... snip ... it was me, just a simple rug in the shade,with mossy repellant

have you actually done this ? i have. have you ever had a poisonous millipede crawl on you while trying to meditate ? i have. have you ever had dengue fever ? i have. do i know that dengue is carried by day-flying elderly female Aedes Aegyptus mosquitoes, that there are four strains of it, and that having it once does not cross-immunize you from getting the other three strains : i do.

anyway if your meditation techniques are succesful surely you would n't feel the mosie bits anyway.

now that's entrancing ! :o

thanks for the entertainment, ~o:37;

... snip ... it was me, just a simple rug in the shade,with mossy repellant

have you actually done this ? i have. have you ever had a poisonous millipede crawl on you while trying to meditate ? i have. have you ever had dengue fever ? i have. do i know that dengue is carried by day-flying elderly female Aedes Aegyptus mosquitoes, that there are four strains of it, and that having it once does not cross-immunize you from getting the other three strains : i do.

anyway if your meditation techniques are succesful surely you would n't feel the mosie bits anyway.

now that's entrancing ! :o

thanks for the entertainment, ~o:37;

ok here's another idea,go to a temple(nice place for peace and harmony)cover up like the monks do ,wear mossie repellant,as far as i know there's no immediate cure for dengue fever(everyone runs that risk,meditating or not)or are you going into business with a meditation kit home :D

ok here's another idea,go to a temple(nice place for peace and harmony)cover up like the monks do ,wear mossie repellant,as far as i know there's no immediate cure for dengue fever(everyone runs that risk,meditating or not)or are you going into business with a meditation kit home :D

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Samui-Beach-Comber-of,

i do appreciate your chiming in here, please excuse me if my first response seemed sarcastic ! my walled in backyard with a gigantic po tree ("ficus religiosa," bodhi tree) just behind it is a "place for peace and harmony" ! you are correct there's no cure, and no immunization, available for dengue (Australian scientists are recently working on an engineered virus to try and wipe out the older female mosquitoes that carry the vector). but sitting outside in the daylight hours (when Aedes Aegyptus is flying) is a much greater risk than remaining indoors.

my sincere hope is that you, and everyone else, never experience the roller-coaster ride through fever and misery that is dengue, which can, in some cases, lead to hemorraghic perfusion of blood into lungs, eyeballs, etc., and even kill you !

no, i am not planning to go into business selling any portable meditation "pod" :o

chok dee, Khrup, ~o:37;

I used to meditate outdoor in a forest monestary. Outside the kuti was a small table to sit on. Suspended from a tree branch was a monk umbrella with musquitonet. I don't know how to call this monk requisite (clod?), but you can buy in the store. I have not had any problems with insects.

You could improve the system by putting the 4 table legs in 4 containers filles with water. The umbrella you can leave outside or install prior to meditating/remove after meditation, a job of a few minutes.

Cheap enough?

Take care

Seems like a net suspended from the tree would be simple and effective. Also millipedes are only poisonous if you eat them, perhaps you are thinking of a centipede?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Daoyai,

Yes, I meant a centipede (Thai "tagrub" or "takrub" or "takhrub" ?). And I do think a net is going to be the anwser here.

thanks, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NotYetArahan,

Thanks for the practical ideas : I have a sturdy low table that would serve well, and I'm thinking 6liter plastic water bottles with the top half or more cut off for easily replaceable "bug moats" (and like the idea that's a form of re-cycling.

Will start exploring hanging-nets in venues ranging from Buddhist-goods-supply-stores to Talat Wararot and so on.

Happy Upaya !

~o:37;