The Village Shopping Mall

thaimate

the wife and i just took a drive to the new village shopping mall on sukhumvit ,we were not alone another couple were there as well!!

i really cannot see it surviving ,the grounds are lovely but no one was there the floating market(another one?) seemed closed the supermarket wasnt even finished and every shop was deserted ,what do you lot think?

Something must be jinxed about that site, never been busy even when it was the Herb Garden Resort. Is it because it is close to an intersection or what?

In contrast, the Floating market about 1km south of there is packed out 7 days a week?

Check out the new Italian Restaurant Casa Italiano run by an Italian and Dutch guy Tim the food is good and the service was attentive as for the price well we were all very pleased and we will be going back again The area itself is very quite but if they get things together I am sure the new owners Russians will make it a success

I called in there today as was driving by, got the best parking spot available :-) - hardly surprising as I was the only person there! walked inside - it resembles a morgue, it could be really nice, the gardens look great - but they have no customers, not many shops either! What a waste!

A friend told me he was opening a restaurant in there, whilst I wish him all the best I just could not believe it, the place has always been dead and will always be dead. The Feng Shui is way wrong. :o

the wife and i just took a drive to the new village shopping mall on sukhumvit ,we were not alone another couple were there as well!!

i really cannot see it surviving ,the grounds are lovely but no one was there the floating market(another one?) seemed closed the supermarket wasnt even finished and every shop was deserted ,what do you lot think?

I hope this proves to be a success.

I understand that The Village transferred ownership recently and a new management company is in place.

Had a great haircut there yesterday morning...great Thai food the previous evening with German beer at 80 Baht a glass.

Hope to try the Italian restaurant over the weekend.

Good luck guys!

Something must be jinxed about that site, never been busy even when it was the Herb Garden Resort. Is it because it is close to an intersection or what?

In contrast, the Floating market about 1km south of there is packed out 7 days a week?

I remember when it was the Herb Garden Resort, and I could never understand why anyone would stay there -- a strange sort of building that looked nothing like a resort. Also, it was located at a busy intersection too far away from the beach. I felt that as a resort location, it was a really bad business decision. As a shopping center, it stands a better chance but probably not a good one.

When they first put up the advertising banners last year there was a McDonalds drive thru depicted on the picture - would have been in the car park area adjacent to Sukhumvit. Now regardless what you think of McD's as a foodstuff, i guarantee that would have packed the place.

The whole area around the Chaiyapruek crossroads is starting to "build up", and it is not that far directly down to the beach, i hope for them it starts to pick up. Who knows, maybe a McD's will arrive in time???

I have an office there and yes, it has been dead since opening.

The main reason is that the developer was in negotiations to sell it before it was complete and did not promote it properly or ensure that all the shops were occupied by the "grand" opening day.

There is a meeting today with all the leaseholders and the new owners will reveal their plans for the future. Whatever they do, they had better do it quick as there are a lot of business who are suffering.

That said, the Thai restaurant has great food and is good value. The Italian place is lovely and there will be an Indian and Fatboys is opening soon.

The supermarket deal has been signed and will open shortly and also McDs, KFC and BK have all shown an interest in that corner plot.

Give it time - it will improve.

The main reason is that the developer was in negotiations to sell it before it was complete and did not promote it properly or ensure that all the shops were occupied by the "grand" opening day.

There is a meeting today with all the leaseholders and the new owners will reveal their plans for the future. Whatever they do, they had better do it quick as there are a lot of business who are suffering.

That said, the Thai restaurant has great food and is good value. The Italian place is lovely and there will be an Indian and Fatboys is opening soon.

The supermarket deal has been signed and will open shortly and also McDs, KFC and BK have all shown an interest in that corner plot.

I hope you're right. I live between it and Sattahip, and although I've never eaten at a McDonalds in Thailand, it would be nice to have one there when visitors come. Also, A decent grocery store and a variety of restaurants would be great.

Just out of curiosity, does the complex have a swimming pool? I would assume that any place calling itself a resort (formerly Herb Garden Resort) had to have a swimming pool. Or am being silly by applying western logic to a Thai situation?

I hope you're right. I live between it and Sattahip, and although I've never eaten at a McDonalds in Thailand, it would be nice to have one there when visitors come. Also, A decent grocery store and a variety of restaurants would be great.

Just out of curiosity, does the complex have a swimming pool? I would assume that any place calling itself a resort (formerly Herb Garden Resort) had to have a swimming pool. Or am being silly by applying western logic to a Thai situation?

The old swimming pool has been transformed into one of the connected lakes. There is a children's play area however.

i hope so ,as i said origanally ,it was deserted but it is a lovely place ,nice gardens and some good shops ,pity the indian wasnt open or we would have eaten there ,anyway the wife saw some nice earrings and necklace set so we are going back :o

Just an update after the meeting:

The Russians are not involved.

A massive marketing campaign kicks off soon with new signs at the front of the centre.

The gardens at the front are being re-done

Tour buses will start arriving "soon"

Supermarket contract is approved and they are awaiting the letter of intent but it is widely rumoured to be another branch of "Villa Market"

ATM's will go in when the security company is approved.

Fatboys will not open but is up for sale if anybody is interested

Dunkin Donut, Micky D's and KFC are all in the process of negotiating

We have a nice coffee machine in our office so please pop in and say hello... :o

I just don't think that end of town has anywhere near the population density to support such a large mall primarily filled with restaurant tenants...and with the new Central and all the dining options in downtown Pattaya, Naklua, and the Pattaya/Jomtien hill area, I don't see much reason for anyone to drive so far to eat.

Are there other businesses in there...are there any plans for a large anchor tenant of some type?

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Went to The Village yesterday ( Saturday ) for a look around..well the gardens are nice..but the place was dead, not a single customer in any of the shops !!! a complete contrast to the Pattaya floating market on the other side of Sukhumvit which was very busy the car park out front was full.

The Village needs to get those tour buses in VERY soon.

post-2109-1236493402_thumb.jpgpost-2109-1236493462_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1236493492_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1236493709_thumb.jpgpost-2109-1236493983_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1236494011_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1236494028_thumb.jpgpost-2109-1236494043_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1236494061_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1236494071_thumb.jpgpost-2109-1236494129_thumb.jpg