Getting Around

joebuzzard

Concerning the stairs on the Skytrain, I wonder while designing the Skytrain why someone thought that 80 odd steps in a tropical climate would be a good idea?

Many times I had to struggle up the stairs at Ekkamai (pre escalator days) and then down again at Ploenchit with a heavy bag and arrive at my hotel sweaty as he11.  In the end I just used to get a cab.

Are they putting in escalators in all of the stations now or is that just some wild pipe dream?

In typical Thai style, evey station was designed with a full compliment of escalators but they only fitted a few to save money. They're now in the process of retro-fitting the escalators, which costs more than if they had been fitted in the first place. :o

Bad deal about the subway, but that's another thread. I'll be back on it, once they get the kinks worked out.

-- A new "Skywalk" connects Chitlom BTS station to World Trade Centre, or Central World Plaza as it's called now. Construction at World Trade means some roundabout walking to get inside the shopping centre. The Skywalk goes all the way to Siam Square and makes for a fairly pleasant walk, offering a nice view of the wat that is between World Trade and the new Siam Paragon.

-- A walk through Gaysorn Plaza is still a fairly nice way to get from Chitlom station to either Big C and EGV Metropolis or World Trade. Don't get in a hurry, though. Those hi-so types can't be rushed as they slow down to browse at designer brand goods.

-- If I'm in a walking mood, to get to Panthip Plaza, I take the skytrain to Rachathewi, one stop past Siam Square. Around the corner and up the street to the 'Thip. This is an alternative to walking from Chitlom Station. It's much easier than fighting traffic and stroppy pedestrains over that narrow footpath that crosses the canal on Rachadamri.

-- My earlier tip on exiting the Skytrain at Siam Square has been negated by the placement of new barriers and signs. Try to place yourself at the third set of doors on each end of the train if you want to quick, clear shot at hitting the escalators down from the uppermost platform.

Excellent tips, folks. Let's keep the spirit of this informative thread alive.