Getting Around

joebuzzard

-- On the skytrain, the stairwells to the main platform are in the same place at all stations. If you want to be where you can quickly descend from the platform after debarking from the train, get on the train near one of these stairs.

-- At Siam Station, the escalators from the upper platform are nearest the second-to-last set of doors on either end of the train. Place yourself at one of these doors and you'll hit the escalator and be able to walk down without getting caught behind the lazys who still don't get it.

-- I keep two passes for the BTS. One is the 15-trip pass, which I can easily use in 30 days. Each trip is 20 baht, no matter how far you go. For short trips that would cost less than 20 baht (one or two stations), I whip out my other pass -- the stored value card. Saves me from fussing with coins and waiting in line at the dispensers.

-- DVD Station is inside the gates of Chitlom Station. You can shop there and then get back on the train without leaving the BTS system. Similarly, there's Boomerang DVD rental outlet inside the gates of Siam Station. They have a decent selection of mainstream movies and a smattering of Asian and Classic films. Membership is 1,200 baht. Rent a flick and get back on the train. Return and get another and get back on the train, continue on your merry way.

-- I paid 10 baht to walk through Chitlom station to get to World Trade (now Central World Plaza) from Central Chitlom. It was worth it to avoid going down stairs, deal with the broken sidewalk, noise and smog of the surface only to eventually have to walk back up stairs to cross Rajdamri to World Trade. Eventually the "skyway" will be extended all the way from Chitlom BTS station to the remodeled Central World Plaza. I was checking it out the other day. It's nearly complete.

-- A new "skyramp" goes into the set of shops at Saladaeng that house the Subway, KFC, Internet cafe and other facilities.

-- Head for exit 1 at Phetchburi subway station if you want to visit RCA. It's a short taxi ride from there.

After introducing the new ticket price reduction on January 7 (10 baht for first 3 stations and 15 baht for the rest for adult rate and the 7 baht for the first 3 stations and 11 baht for the rest for children+students.

Cards can be kept indefinate by a top up procedure. And on certain days they have promotions where you top your card up for a dicounted price.

After introducing the new ticket price reduction on January 7 (10 baht for first 3 stations and 15 baht for the rest for adult rate and the 7 baht for the first 3 stations and 11 baht for the rest for children+students.

Cards can be kept indefinate by a top up procedure. And on certain days they have promotions where you top your card up for a dicounted price.

You're talking about the subway, right?

I'll have to look into the card. The token dispensers are always queued up with people who don't know where they're going and don't understand what to do. Or they are broken. I have no patience or tolerance.

My tip is, get in when the doors open. It's served me well in the past.

Seems to make sense, yet I'm surprised at how hard it is sometimes for people to grasp this concept.

What's harder is making people understand that people need to get off the trains when the doors open. Then, before the doors close, you get on.

Same goes for buses and elevators. Let the people who want to get off off, then get on.

I can now avoid walking across that dangerous crossing from Sukhumvit/Asoke

to Soi Cowboy by simply walking 'under' it. :D

Indeed a stairway to heaven although coming back I usually don't give a fvk and cross traffic like a bat out of ###### :o

I can now avoid walking across that dangerous crossing from Sukhumvit/Asoke

to Soi Cowboy by simply walking 'under' it. :D

Indeed a stairway to heaven although coming back I usually don't give a fvk and cross traffic like a bat out of ###### :o

.....and gob off at the Taxi Mafia at the entrance of Cowboy!......

Get a subway stored value card, the queues are horrendous sometimes. You just stride in and out of the stations like your own living room....Skytrain is great but the stairs piss me off.

How long is the subway stored value card valid for?

With the BTS its 2 years and then the card and any value is wiped off.

Get a subway stored value card, the queues are horrendous sometimes. You just stride in and out of the stations like your own living room....Skytrain is great but the stairs piss me off.

Those old knees can't take it, huh? :o

If you live in the outskirts and want to go into the centre for a few hours, park at the Tesco on Sukhumvit 50. - It's just off the Ramindra-AtNarong expressway, so is easy to get to (if you're coming from Ramindra direction anyway), and is at On Nut station on the skytrain.

Warning though - don't use it if you're coming in to spend the entire day. - Only the first 3 hours are free. After that it's 50 baht/hour.

Alternatively, at the weekend, there's free parking at Fortune Town at the bottom end of RatchadaPhisek road (near the junction with Rama 9). Useful for IT Mall (obviously), but also useful for getting onto the subway as it's next to Pra Ram 9 station. It's also cheaper than Tesco during the week if you're planning on coming in for more than a few hours... I even use it sometimes for going to Chatuchak since the subway fare is cheaper than the "easy to get" parking there.

Obviously, taking the subway to Chatuchak, get the stored value card. It's worth it just to avoid the queue for tokens coming back.

Concerning the stairs on the Skytrain, I wonder while designing the Skytrain why someone thought that 80 odd steps in a tropical climate would be a good idea?

Many times I had to struggle up the stairs at Ekkamai (pre escalator days) and then down again at Ploenchit with a heavy bag and arrive at my hotel sweaty as he11. In the end I just used to get a cab.

Are they putting in escalators in all of the stations now or is that just some wild pipe dream?

Edited by ProfessorFart

Unbelievable. People complaining about the Skytrain. I thought I'd heard it all. It just proves that no matter what positive things are accomplished on this earth, someone will always have something to complain about it. :o I guess you can't remember what it was like before it was built. Wasn't that long ago people.

Edited by mbkudu

Unbelievable. People complaining about the Skytrain

the skytrain is great , i dont think anybody is complaining about that , but three or four flights of stairs does make it impossible for motorcyclists and food vendors to use it , come on mbkudu , stop always thinking about yourself ! :o

Unbelievable. People complaining about the Skytrain

the skytrain is great , i dont think anybody is complaining about that , but three or four flights of stairs does make it impossible for motorcyclists and food vendors to use it , come on mbkudu , stop always thinking about yourself ! :o

'Tis a bind. Try taking out the ones at Chid Lom after going for a Whopper meal at the local Burger King :D

to relieve boredom and help the guards stay awake , whilst waiting for a skytrain to arrive stand ever so close to the yellow line and occasionally step onto it or over it , then pretend not to hear the whistle .

thought that was how you and your mate played skytrain tennis - one of you up each end , taking it in turns.

:o

I've noticed the disabled persons Lift at Asoke but never seen anyone use it or looked to see if it goes down to the footpath. Asoke also has escalators.

Do other stations have the same?

I've never used skytrain to carry luggage or a belly full of Macs whoppers but I've dragged many a belly full of beer up the stairs at Nana. Luckily the anesthetic effects took the pain and memories away. :o

I've noticed the disabled persons Lift at Asoke but never seen anyone use it or looked to see if it goes down to the footpath. Asoke also has escalators.

I've seen people used the lifts, but they were all abled bodied. I can't see many disabled people making it to the stations: not on bangkok pavements and congestion.

What's the best way to get from Patpong to New Petchburi Road at 2:00 am when all the taxi 'meters' want nung loy baht and the Skytrain is closed?

The little Geen 77. Make sure you have your 5 baht coin ready and a firm grip on the chrome railing near the door. The natural airconditioning is top notch.

Those old knees can't take it, huh? :o

######. Wasn't me that said it but MY knees don't like all the stairs. Up is OK but down HURTS.

Sucks getting older. And I'm not even 50 yet :D