Massive Police Crackdown On Non Registered Bikes In Pattaya.

BigBikeBKK

Hi All,

Monsterman reported the following on the GTRider forum:

Over 80 bikes seized so far value in excess of 25m baht mostly big rental bikes 600cc+ Fireblades, GSXRs, steeds

This is co-ordinated by Central Bangkok police and Customs, no Insurance , no book ,no plates, import taxes not paid and the bike is seized.

Now very few big rental bikes on Pattaya beach road.

the shops were also raided but not much problem there as the owners know that books are important.

Part II-

Its now on the TV news ,,, sure the cops smell money but it much more than that its political.. pattaya city wanted the rentals off beach road clogging up parking places ...the renters just put 2 fingers to the City hall... so now its

get heavy time and bring in the big boys from Bangkok.....This is going to cost the main big bike renters a lot of money and most of them are actually Muslims in Pattaya.

Many of the bikes have no import papers and are stolen so they are history , others have never beeen bothered to get registered as its expensive etc most have no insurance so its going to be a mess. Some will be bought back by the renters and some will just rust to bits in police custody others will go to new police owners and then business as normal will resume.Its Thailand.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*EDITED*

Comment highly offensive, totally off topic and clearly against forum rules. For someone employed in education system you should know better. Religious or racial slurs will not be tolerated.

7 days suspension to cool off.

Edited by CroBiker
bigoted remark removed

If the bikes are not stolen,i also wonder whether a good deal might be had from the BIB!!Off topic,but i would like to say that not all muslims should be thought of as bad people.I have always felt that the vast majority are decent people,simply tarred with the brush of the fanatics.The muslims up here in Nakhon Sawan make the best Rodi,cow mun gai and what not,all very clean and lovely.On topic,i guess the confiscated bikes will go to various senior police,as most crackdowns are not about law and order! :o

If those bikes are stolen,then they get what they deserve. :D

Do they mean stolen in Thailand, or stolen from another country and shipped in?

Plenty of stolen bikes from Japan are legally registered in Thailand...

Rolled right across the border,who knows where they get them in Cambodia... :o Word is you can order the type of bike you want stolen from Japan,then brought to Cambodia,then onwards to Thailand.It is fairly well covered on the 'net if you search.

Rolled right across the border,who knows where they get them in Cambodia... :o Word is you can order the type of bike you want stolen from Japan,then brought to Cambodia,then onwards to Thailand.It is fairly well covered on the 'net if you search.

Yeah, but does it really matter that the bike was stolen in Japan if it has a legal Thai green book with import duties paid?

EDIT: I mean from a legal point of view!

Edited by Cruzzer

Yeah, but does it really matter that the bike was stolen in Japan if it has a legal Thai green book with import duties paid?

EDIT: I mean from a legal point of view!

I guess not,because how could anyone prove it was stolen?If papers are in order,then it may as well have been bought here new.I suspect it is just another sting to raise funds for the senior BIB.Local boys will see not a Satang. :D

Well here is what I talked about happened to me previously. This is expected in Pattaya, Chonburi, Bangkok and probably now also Phuket. Buy 100% legal bike and laugh about it. Now after the idea is there expect it to hit anywhere for a while, so have your shit in order or park the bike for a while.

For the person who is commenting towards religion, I think that is completely off! live and let live man...

Cheers Bard

Well here is what I talked about happened to me previously. This is expected in Pattaya, Chonburi, Bangkok and probably now also Phuket. Buy 100% legal bike and laugh about it. Now after the idea is there expect it to hit anywhere for a while, so have your shit in order or park the bike for a while.

For the person who is commenting towards religion, I think that is completely off! live and let live man...

Cheers Bard

The problem is, what is a 100% legal bike ??

One of the ironys of the moment is Phuket has its clamp down, the bike book has to state on page 18 the taxes paid on its import / registration etc.. This is for 2540 onwards to now according to customs.. But someone who bought thier bike brand new from BMW doesnt have a tax paid info in there on a 100% legit book ?!?! So customs / DMV / Etc demand something that a 100% legal bike doesnt have.. Its madness !!

And bikes outside of the date range that this applies to, also has the same issues. It seems not only do they make up the rules as they go along, apply them inconsistently in different places, but they dont even know what those rules really are ?!?

Very good idea to reduce the criminals,and the idiots who come here and rent a big bike,then go round speeding and revving.This has got to be the small dick brigade that thinks they look good on a big bike,even though they cannot handle the things.

Much more room on Beach Rd too and more room on the pavement as these idiots park on there sometimes.

Cheers Bard

The problem is, what is a 100% legal bike ??

One of the ironys of the moment is Phuket has its clamp down, the bike book has to state on page 18 the taxes paid on its import / registration etc.. This is for 2540 onwards to now according to customs.. But someone who bought thier bike brand new from BMW doesnt have a tax paid info in there on a 100% legit book ?!?! So customs / DMV / Etc demand something that a 100% legal bike doesnt have.. Its madness !!

And bikes outside of the date range that this applies to, also has the same issues. It seems not only do they make up the rules as they go along, apply them inconsistently in different places, but they dont even know what those rules really are ?!?

Well when I got my Kawa the bike and book went to the transportation office where the Kawa guys got it all stamped, Yamaha does the same. This is not the first time this have happened guys, I wrote about my experience with my CBR 600 RR. So it should be known, problem is people don't listen and these things does not happen often enough so people think, it's an urban myth or never saw it can't be happening. Last big bust was the last economic crash, we are into one now and the government will use all they can to chase down money believe me...

From my experience I have gone legit and tried to bring over that point when it comes to bikes, best thing to do now if you don't know your bike is legit for sure, leave it and wait it out until they go for the next big thing, which as I remember last time was cracking down on expats with houses.

Remember they did a clean up there with company with foreign owners which owned houses but no business running, or sleeping Thai partners, and other dodgy deals. Basically whatever you do have which is in a grey area is at risk when the machinery starts rolling. Remember one guy stood behind a bar and got done for working with no work permit, one guy caught drinking and driving had the choice 50k baht or else, he didn't have 50k so his work permit gone and expelled from Thailand.

So guys be careful during the clamp downs they can go pretty wild. Follow the rules and be fine, stay in non-tourist provinces always protect you a lot to...

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard

Just curious (becuase of the phuket province issues still happening) when you buy the ER6 or FZ6 now.. What does page 18 say ?? I posted a image of a page 18 on one of my bikes.. However my scooters dont have anything there.

The situation I am saying about is real and still happening here.. If you have an old bike with no page 18 tax details.. They say it has to have them.. Yet brand new bought from main dealers (BMW) bikes, also dont have them !! So thier argument that it HAS to have them seems to fall flat when faced with this.

Of course all the info coming out of the customs people is conflicted and hinges on 'you pay big money now' !!

Edited by LivinLOS

Just curious (becuase of the phuket province issues still happening) when you buy the ER6 or FZ6 now.. What does page 18 say ?? I posted a image of a page 18 on one of my bikes.. However my scooters dont have anything there.

The situation I am saying about is real and still happening here.. If you have an old bike with no page 18 tax details.. They say it has to have them.. Yet brand new bought from main dealers (BMW) bikes, also dont have them !! So thier argument that it HAS to have them seems to fall flat when faced with this.

Of course all the info coming out of the customs people is conflicted and hinges on 'you pay big money now' !!

Dude- you having second thought about that used CBR you bought? There was probably a good reason it was so cheap... I'd keep it under cover until this all blows over.

I haven't received the new Green Book for my ER-6n but I did snap a pic of the last Green Book for my Ninja 250R-

GreenBookEdit.jpg

Sorry- don't recall what, if anything, was on page 18...

I'm not at all concerned since I know my bikes are completely legit, but once again this crack down serves to illustrate the risks and pitfalls of buying grey market bikes here in Thailand. Caveat Emptor!

Ummmm maybe page 18 is for imported bikes only. but then the Bmw's should have it also. My CBR250 has some writing on page 18. girlfriend agreed it said something about money paid.

I never checked the Cbr150 book........ who has one what does it have if anything.

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Well I never bothered looking into the book other than check the details was correct, frame #name reg #...

However until you get the green book, you get a dealer receipt copy you carry with you. There is the dealers details, how much you paid in tax etc.

I believe the green book has the dealer details in with tax stuff I donno, since the bikes are fully legit they can stand any scrutiny so I really don't care. Worst case scenario is impound, you call your legal dealer who will take care of it for you...

Also the BiB is not stupid they know what models are legally sold in Thailand, come on it's not many of them, the rest is either Grey market or illegal. So who will they stop in the first place? And if they stop me I'll call Man and let him talk to them...

Cheers Bard

I got stopped last week by the BIB. No number plates. Showed the document from the dealer. Police still gave me a ticket. Couple of days later called Thonglor Police Station, was told to bring documents showing proof of ownership.

Anyhooter they never asked for it when I got there. Just paid the mandatory TB300 to get my license back.

In the West these confiscated bike would end up in a police auction, well they do here in Oz. Any chance of that happening...or have members of the BIB already put their mark on the ones they want for themselves?

We must applaud the BIB for making the footpath (goat track) on the East side of Beach Rd less of a trial...although it may only be briefly!

Its not the outside.. its specifically page 18.. I posted a screen cap of mine somewhere.

But what is so screwed up is that they are now refusing transfers on any bike if it doesnt have page 18 tax info.. Yet bought from BMW bikes dont have anything there !! Now what the hel_l does that mean ?? I am sure the BMW is legit.. But when exactly the same situation happens on a bike thats of unknown origin they wont do a name change and the customs impound it based on the same 'rule' that fits BMWs new from the dealer !!

I was even told they came and scoped out a private car park in Patong.. Saw a parked big bike, and came back later and took it..

As I told you before the CBR was impounded before I bought it in Dec.. And released without a payment needed, which is about the biggest pass anyone can have in the current climate.. When they impounded it they told the old owner they would write him a 'clearance letter' officially stating it was in the clear, and now they wont although they say it is fine becuase its outside the year ranges this applies to (2540 to now) the CBR is a 95 2538 machine.