Massive Police Crackdown On Non Registered Bikes In Pattaya.

BigBikeBKK

OK no stamp showing taxes paid then..

His stamps do not list the initial tax paid on registration or import as parts or whole. My CBR has many many stamps, the most recent being the past owner to me only a short while ago (which looks just like the stamp on dotcoms top book, but I have a few lines of this one for each previous owner in the book).. but it doesnt state the taxes paid. Phuket insist on tax paid info there, what they say on dealer sold bikes without this, and how they know a bike is main dealer sold versus grey import sold, is a total mystery. I suspect they dont know themselves and just say no and refer everyone to the customs if its missing a stamp.

Finding out what the problem is.. Is one of the hardest things.. they kind of just throw the books back in your face with a disdainful 'no' and rattle of in fast Thai that even Thais come away from totally baffled and confused. Or turn on thier heel and walk away, ignore you while you wait at the counter, all of the Thai standard responses to a problem they dont want to deal with in a gov office. No one with blank books dare show thier face to go ask. And as I said the DMV are refusing to transfer bikes outside of the date range this even applies to, with no reasons why, no explanations, and no apology when 2 or so months later I finally got customs clearance and the paperwork stating it had been inspected and released. 2 months or more to get a name changed on a legal book !! A transfer that would never have happened if the sellers wife wasnt a connected local with friends inside all these government offices.

Sorry Livin, just trying to work out whats going on. Sounds like you've had a frustrating time. I don't have any taxes paid stamps on my green book either, thats only for my little bike which was new when i bought it.....maybe the cops are gonna take it too :o

Thats part of what is so annoying.. On the one hand they say 'it has to have this tax stamp.. no exceptions' and on the other hand 100% legal bikes bought direct from main dealers dont have that stamp.. Those two things are not compatible except in Thai bureaucracy.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Phuket want to host the bike week????

No I don't get it period...

Same as when the not to be named minister claimed the tar balls on the beach in Phuket was due to tourists using sun lotion...

Back to the topic:

What the actual situation in Pattaya? I am waiting for my book transfer through a dealer but he tells me all is delayed because each book will be checked carefully. So there is a long queue.....

Anybody knows more?

I never had an issue with my bike when I get fined with 1,000 Baht (paid at the police station) because my bike was too loud. No way to close the deal with direct payment of 200 - 300 Baht and I even tried to explain the guy that I was not sitting on a Honda Wave.....

In the West these confiscated bike would end up in a police auction, well they do here in Oz. Any chance of that happening...or have members of the BIB already put their mark on the ones they want for themselves?

We must applaud the BIB for making the footpath (goat track) on the East side of Beach Rd less of a trial...although it may only be briefly!

How thick are you in OZ??? Think you'll find your to the East!!

Obviously very, I assumed everyone would connect West with Europe and North America. Right now I am in Oz (Australia) but when I am back in LOS (Thailand) or Cambodia or Vietnam...I most definitely will be in the East (Asian region). :o

Back to the topic:

What the actual situation in Pattaya? I am waiting for my book transfer through a dealer but he tells me all is delayed because each book will be checked carefully. So there is a long queue.....

Anybody knows more?

I never had an issue with my bike when I get fined with 1,000 Baht (paid at the police station) because my bike was too loud. No way to close the deal with direct payment of 200 - 300 Baht and I even tried to explain the guy that I was not sitting on a Honda Wave.....

Why not tell us what bike you are buying? New or used? Did the dealer give you a red plate to use in the meantime?

There is a case to be made for just parking the bike up till the boom & plate arrive. Or you could be like Andrew & just ride it & pay the fines. LOL. He is a life member at ThongLor police.

• 1 month later...

An update on the crack downs on unregistered bikes that have been taking place around the Kingdom-

Chiang Mai CityLife magazine recently interviewed Police Commander Major General Sommai Kongvisaisuk and this is what he said about bikes:

" As for unregistered bikes he said, 'These are not legal, in the past we weren't sure if by taking the bikes we'd affect tourism, but now we are enforcing this rule.' Chiang Mai police will take all unregistered bikes off the streets, to get them back you'll have to pay the tax which will most likely be more than the bike cost you. 'We will send the bikes to Customs and they will be registered then auctioned off.' He stated that if anyone had an accident on one of these uninsured bikes that it would cause a major problem. All these bikes will be seized."

Happy Trails!

Tony

An update on the crack downs on unregistered bikes that have been taking place around the Kingdom-

Chiang Mai CityLife magazine recently interviewed Police Commander Major General Sommai Kongvisaisuk and this is what he said about bikes:

" As for unregistered bikes he said, 'These are not legal, in the past we weren't sure if by taking the bikes we'd affect tourism, but now we are enforcing this rule.' Chiang Mai police will take all unregistered bikes off the streets, to get them back you'll have to pay the tax which will most likely be more than the bike cost you. 'We will send the bikes to Customs and they will be registered then auctioned off.' He stated that if anyone had an accident on one of these uninsured bikes that it would cause a major problem. All these bikes will be seized."

Happy Trails!

Tony

I have been looking at various bikes on thai web sites for months now, in most cases when we phone & ask do you have all the documents & a green book, the answer varies between I have invoice, to I have no paperwork, to hookey number plates, so it would appear that either Im real unlucky or most of whats on offer is illegal in some form.

However to counter what I have just written above last night on internet I did manage to find a legal Kawasaki gto 125 stinkwheel with everything 100% legal & correct, collected it tonite & rode it back 80ks to home,

Thanh ( if you read this ) my aged body is still tingling from the vibrations, ha ha haaa.

good luck to the cops taking the illegals, registering them properly & selling them on later when they can,

it may achieve 1 thing, open up the market more for Tiger & Honda to sell their new legal bikes,

Bros.

Happy Trails!

Tony

I have been looking at various bikes on Thai web sites for months now, in most cases when we phone & ask do you have all the documents & a green book, the answer varies between I have invoice, to I have no paperwork, to hookey number plates, so it would appear that either Im real unlucky or most of whats on offer is illegal in some form.

However to counter what I have just written above last night on internet I did manage to find a legal Kawasaki gto 125 stinkwheel with everything 100% legal & correct, collected it tonite & rode it back 80ks to home,

Thanh ( if you read this ) my aged body is still tingling from the vibrations, ha ha haaa.

good luck to the cops taking the illegals, registering them properly & selling them on later when they can,

it may achieve 1 thing, open up the market more for Tiger & Honda to sell their new legal bikes,

Bros.

Hi

With this situation, I'm not surprised most non registered bike owners are trying to sell up. The 'knock on' affect will make the Thai Customs into a very big bike dealership selling high volumes of vastly inflated priced bikes that most people would not be willing to buy IMHO. Plus the impact will help Tiger/Honda as Bros suggests.

Interesting times ahead, me thinks

Dave

Back to the topic:

Anybody knows more?

Why not tell us what bike you are buying? New or used? Did the dealer give you a red plate to use in the meantime?

There is a case to be made for just parking the bike up till the boom & plate arrive. Or you could be like Andrew & just ride it & pay the fines. LOL. He is a life member at ThongLor police.

Hi, it is a transfer. My bike has BKK plates etc.

I never get stopped but I want the book back soon, with me a the owner. But apparently they are now checking all details especially on the big ones (HD like mine).

Cheers

With all this crackdowns I can hardly wait until they have an auction again... O what will there be a lot of sweet stuff on offer. Maybe I have to make more space in my garage.... move out the pickup

Right, just checked my book, built before 2540 and page 18 has two stamps and a bunch of thai writing in. That'll do for me!

Has anyone actually been pulled over and had their green book checked, cause it sounds to me as though they are just checking bike shops and not pulling dudes over.

21 years of riding all sorts all over thailand, NEVER been asked to see book, pulled over maybe 50-60 times ,.

With all this crackdowns I can hardly wait until they have an auction again... O what will there be a lot of sweet stuff on offer. Maybe I have to make more space in my garage.... move out the pickup

Let us know if/when they announce a govt auction- I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in checking that out.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Right, just checked my book, built before 2540 and page 18 has two stamps and a bunch of thai writing in. That'll do for me!

Has anyone actually been pulled over and had their green book checked, cause it sounds to me as though they are just checking bike shops and not pulling dudes over.

21 years of riding all sorts all over thailand, NEVER been asked to see book, pulled over maybe 50-60 times ,.

Well of course not- the coppers are too busy staring at your massive TITS! :)

Hi Richard

AUCTION AGAIN ? that infers that there may have been an auction previously, was this the case ?

& if so did you or anyone you know go to look & check out the final bid prices ?

Cos as you say if customs do have a sale there could be some really nice gear available & it would be a more interesting day out than the Bkk motorcycle show if nothing else.

Keep us all posted please if you hear anything please.

Bros

I think most people know what the law is.

Anyone who gets fined or has their bike taken is like the poor girl facing execution in the Lao prison for smuggling heroin.

Some deranged whack-jobs from TV will run to your defense, criticizing the Thai police, and screaming that it's a travesty and NOT LIKE HOME!

And I'll repeat the same old mantra.

Are these people really that stupid?

How long would you be permitted to drive around Sydney, Manchester or Orlando with no plates or proper registration?

What it boils down to is riders going cheap. Trying to be clever. When you get caught, remember this thread.

Edited by Texpat

Back to the topic:

Anybody knows more?

Hi, it is a transfer. My bike has BKK plates etc.

I never get stopped but I want the book back soon, with me a the owner. But apparently they are now checking all details especially on the big ones (HD like mine).

Cheers

Confirm that Phuket has much larger delays on big bike transfers..

And many people getting problems with the page 18 tax info.. Many !!! So many machines this info isnt clear, is ambiguous and I think they are making some up as they go along.. If the DMV have any doubts they simply say no and refer it to customs demanding 'proof' its ok and refuse to transfer without a clearance letter, then even if customs say its all fine they refuse to write any formal letters so catch 22..

Took 3 months to transfer my 100% legal bike with legal book.. The only reason it ever happened was the sellers wife was a well connected lawyer type and wouldnt give up.

Anyone who gets fined or has their bike taken is like the poor girl facing execution in the Lao prison for smuggling heroin.

Some deranged whack-jobs from TV will run to your defense, criticizing the Thai police, and screaming that it's a travesty and NOT LIKE HOME!

How long would you be permitted to drive around Sydney, Manchester or Orlando with no plates or proper registration?

What it boils down to is riders going cheap. Trying to be clever. When you get caught, remember this thread.

Your totally miss informed then..

Lots of these bikes that they now say are problems were perfectly legal last year.. Have plates.. Have green books.. and are already in someones name..

Suggest you go and read up on what your spouting off about.. You might learn something.

Glad I decided against importing my V Max,,I thought it,ld be too much hassle.

I would,nt consider going the shady way round it and to go through all legally ,,man what a pain it all sounds.

Anyway.......if I get saving I could (hopefully) go for a new bike from the Yamaha dealer in Korat.

New V Max 1700 available in Thailand? Saw one here in Singapore last week...SG Dollars 52,000 on the road.

Makes my old one look like a Phantom :)

I totally agree with the crackdowns .Riding a bike without registration and even eithout insurance cant be allowed on roads. BUT.

Its the THAI GOVERNMENT customs, police . land and transport office ,etc whatever else , there own fault too. They created this situation for many years.

Blame yourself first before you blame anyone else.

WHY I AM SAYING THAT ?

I still have a BMW 500 cc 1957 back in Belgium. 2 years ago i tried to import it via a legal way. Well i can tell you i never got any reply from either customs, land and transport ,police or whatever.

One officer told me ship it first then we will quote you , i started to laugh HOW MUCH THEY GONNA STEEL FROM ME ............. hahahahaha

Thailand must stop its corruption first before they can clear other issues ......

They created it themself......

Charlie

What a bunch of crap. I guess this all makes up my mind for me. I'll buy a new "made in Thailand" Honda Sonic, for cheap, that can be repaired easily anywhere within the countries of Asia and Europe where it is sold under one name or another, and maybe a Thai built CBR 150. Leave my big bike in U.S. and not buy one here. Save money, and still fit between the cars in traffic. I don't need the headache. To the rest of you....Good Luck!
Well thats more like it,.like most things in thailand they will end up stepping on their d1ck,,.im not going to buy anything i dont really need any more,or give them satisfaction of making money out of me,...seems thailand is going to remove the 2 things most came here for freedom and thai culture :) ,.as for the prices of non thai bikes i really am adamant that the thais are making colossal profits if its anything like the car business, i have a friend that is a car dealer here and he tells me they often have 150000 baht profit in a truck that is on sale for 450000,.thats 3000 pounds in the uk ,ask a uk car dealer the last time he had 3k and there will be silence for an hour,.i have lived and worked in many different countries but ive never seen pricing like in thailand, they charge for the market and as long as mugs will pay over the top they will add it on,.poor thais ? i dont think so,.

Happy Trails!

Tony

To paraphrase the article: After so many years of lawlessness it almost feels like an infringement on our rights to suddenly enforce the laws.

Just so true :)

I don't think it's a big deal with more and more bikes becoming available legally in Thailand. Then again, I was never into the "we hand-built this from original imported parts, honest!" kind of bike.

Yes,

confiscated motorcycles are auctioned off, most people do not like to talk about auction dates as it really interferes with business. And anyway you need to have a Customs ID card of particular color....

For most big bike dealers in Thailand the custom auctions are a great source for cheap parts, personally I had the pleasure to do some sweet deals. For traders who have a bit more customs and border options then the average buyer it can provide complete bikes like my Harley.

Hi

Do you know what you are talking about????

Hi

Do you know what you are talking about????

Some people just have to keep proving that old saying about better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt :D

How hard is it to understand that bikes that were thought to be legal are suddenly now not legal. I don't think thats the way its done in Sydney, Orlando or even Manchester. :)