Mobile Roaming Internet - Ais In Saigon

tominbkk

Hey there

Just got to Saigon today for biz and the hotel wants about $40 a day for internet....plus I checked their signal for wireless and it is horrible, so I decided not to do it.

Then I tried using my roaming AIS account, connected to my com by USB with my Nokia E51 and it works a charm, very good service and fast.

But is this expensive? I'm not going to stay on too long, because I have no idea how much it is costing me. I'll probably check in the morning to see if there are any answers...if it is not too much though, I will definitely use it. Anyway, has to be less than what the hotel wants to charge. I don't mind if it is even a few hundred baht an hour, as I don't have to be on for very long, just download mail and do a little surfing.

I too would be most interested as I am planning some travelling in the region.

I use a Sierra edge card with my lap top and a separate AIS sim on which I subscribe to a monthly AIS GPRS/Edge option. I have no idea if this works out of Thailand. If not I could put my contract AIS sim in, but presumably I would then just pay the regular overseas rate for calling Thailnad from wherever I happen to be.

Anyone know?

I too would be most interested as I am planning some travelling in the region.

I use a Sierra edge card with my lap top and a separate AIS sim on which I subscribe to a monthly AIS GPRS/Edge option. I have no idea if this works out of Thailand. If not I could put my contract AIS sim in, but presumably I would then just pay the regular overseas rate for calling Thailnad from wherever I happen to be.

Anyone know?

You probably have to add a roaming option to your account, then it would work. But how much I don't know.

As an alternative, get a Mobifone or Viettel sim. They cost around 50,000VND, BUT come with 160,000VND worth of credit. I just buy these as throwaways to use GPRS only, or sending international SMs's. This is especially handy if you have a dual sim phone.

"Then I tried using my roaming AIS account, connected to my com by USB with my Nokia E51 and it works a charm, very good service and fast. But is this expensive?"

A great question to have asked before you tried it out. Before I went to the US, I asked about AIS roaming - 70THB/minute. Ouch! I went to a retailer and bought a TracWireless phone for $10, and another $20 for a bunch of minutes, and I was set.

• 1 month later...

so was it expensive?

I would like to know too.

AIS (1175) warned me not to do this, they told me using GPRS abroad I would pay not by the minute but by the amount of data and it could easily cost 10000 or 20000 B or more. But I heve never tried it.