Shaving

tatom

I think I am having a reaction to the shaving foam Im using. (Big C and Gillette brand). After shaving, I get a rash on my face that lasts a day or so.

Is there anything else I could use to soften my beard? Once, and ONLY once, I got a shave here in Issan. They just put on a little powder then shave. Yeeow!!

Soap!! Just plain soap, Have been using it for years, does the job just fine and that old razor rolls across just as smooth as silk. In fact never could understand the need to buy expensive shaving foam.

I switched to conditioner, like what goes with shampoo, but separate. Maybe 45 baht for 500 ml at Tesco Lotus, pink. About a tenth the price of foam, and you can use it for your hair, if you still have any on your head.

I bought a 12,000 baht Philip three head electric, and am disappointed. I ended up switching to blades and conditioner about once a week. There is a long thread on here about shaving, and huge differences in personal preferences. Not all faces are the same.

Your rash might come from what you do AFTER shaving. Do you use an after-shave lotion?

Maybe you want to try a mild after shave lotion, like the one form Nivea. It's not scented, just gives your skin back all the moisture taken away by the shaving.

Don't use an alcohol bases after-shave lotion, they burn and could worsen the rash. Use a moisturizing lotion.

I switched to conditioner, like what goes with shampoo, but separate. Maybe 45 baht for 500 ml at Tesco Lotus, pink. About a tenth the price of foam, and you can use it for your hair, if you still have any on your head.

I bought a 12,000 baht Philip three head electric, and am disappointed. I ended up switching to blades and conditioner about once a week. There is a long thread on here about shaving, and huge differences in personal preferences. Not all faces are the same.

THANK CHRIST FOR THAT!

For the smoothest shave of your life, get some Johnson's Baby Oil, mix in a few drops of Tea Tree oil or similar, about 10 to 1 ratio, soften your beard with warm water and drip four, yes just four, drops into your hand and rub it into your beard.

Shave as normal and tell me I'm wrong!!!!

It will cost you about 0.0005 baht per day!

Also, your razor blades will last about twice as long as normal.

Edited by rubik101

For the smoothest shave of your life, get some Johnson's Baby Oil, mix in a few drops of Tea Tree oil or similar.............

Sounds interesting. Where can you can Tea Tree oil or similar? Boots?

Will have to give this a go and see if it as good as you say. Thanks for the idea.

side note - I just bought a 3 pack of disposable bic razors from Boots , they looked good with triple blades and Korean writing on the packing.

Had a shave yesterday and ended up bleeding all over the damm place !!!!

Seems the positioning of the 3 blades must have been off and it was like a meat slicer.

side note - I just bought a 3 pack of disposable bic razors from Boots , they looked good with triple blades and Korean writing on the packing.

Seems the positioning of the 3 blades must have been off and it was like a meat slicer.

Boots in The Avenue Pattaya, maybe others as well, has got a few traditional double-edge safety razors on offer, the kind Dad and other heroes used to use. Decent quality. Why not get one and use it? You can control closeness by using light passes. Helps avoid razor bumps and ingrowns, too. There are whole forums devoted to wetshaving, such as badgerandblade.

In Thailand you can occasionally find English Leather shaving soap and Old Spice shaving cream. The Body Shop sells a world-class luxury cream--expensive, but not unreasonable for such a product in Thailand. Larger shops such as in Central Chidlom have it. Some Crabtree & Eveylyn shops, such as in Emporium, sell their luxury cream, but it's greatly overpriced; guess they didn't manage to avoid the import taxes . . . .

Pick up a cheap shaving brush at . . . well, Foodland used to have them. In Pattaya, Best Supermarket has got a supply, but they're a joke compared to real badger brushes or high-end synthetics.

Soap-wise, the best homemade route is to use a slick soap like Lux or Imperial Leather w/ a shot of luxury shampoo.

By far the best way to shave.

I find that happens with just about all disposable razors. Maybe the Korean writing says "For use in slicing ham for sandwiches only". :o

Boots in The Avenue Pattaya, maybe others as well, has got a few traditional double-edge safety razors on offer, the kind Dad and other heroes used to use. Decent quality. Why not get one and use it? You can control closeness by using light passes. Helps avoid razor bumps and ingrowns, too. There are whole forums devoted to wetshaving, such as badgerandblade.

Bought and tried one of these today and was very impressed with the closeness of the shave.

Always thought these were antiquated Grandpa types of devise's

Not sure if they are better than a good quality Gillette Mach 3 blade though....

Bought and tried one of these today and was very impressed with the closeness of the shave.

Excellent! Another blow against the empire!

Always thought these were antiquated Grandpa types of devise's

Not sure if they are better than a good quality Gillette Mach 3 blade though....

Shall we talk price then? :o

I should add that if you want a so-called BBS (baby butt/bottom/bum smooth) shave w/ a traditional DE safety razor, typically you do another light pass or so. Takes a few minutes longer, true. See the wetshaving forums for a tutorial if needed. However, such super smoothness is not really needed and the quest for achieving it is relatively recent. Very close shaves do risk skin irritation, razor bumps, and ingrowns anyway.

I should add that if you want a so-called BBS (baby butt/bottom/bum smooth) shave w/ a traditional DE safety razor, typically you do another light pass or so. Takes a few minutes longer, true. See the wetshaving forums for a tutorial if needed. However, such super smoothness is not really needed and the quest for achieving it is relatively recent. Very close shaves do risk skin irritation, razor bumps, and ingrowns anyway.

There is defiantly some finesse involved with this wet shaving process and I peeked into some of the forums dedicated to this practice.

Pretty cool stuff :o