Bangkok Hotels Under 1,000 Thai Baht

MAC10

I had a few places I stayed at on a regular basis over the years but for one reason or another I no longer use.

The first had a piss poor manager who refused to respect any guests or workers. In general she was a B*I*T*C*H who nobody wants to be around. That place had a great location but that's where it ended, everything else was below standard.

The place me and friends stayed at for years was the Sukumvit Crown off Nana BTS. The location is great, the staff OK, breakfast OK, room mediocre, but no big complaints. One of my friends stayed there recently and was shocked by a 1,300 Baht a night room charge which is up from 700, a more reasonable price for what they offer.

What kinds of places are family friendly and available for under a 1,000 Baht? Any ideas are welcome.

I had a few places I stayed at on a regular basis over the years but for one reason or another I no longer use.

The first had a piss poor manager who refused to respect any guests or workers. In general she was a B*I*T*C*H who nobody wants to be around. That place had a great location but that's where it ended, everything else was below standard.

The place me and friends stayed at for years was the Sukumvit Crown off Nana BTS. The location is great, the staff OK, breakfast OK, room mediocre, but no big complaints. One of my friends stayed there recently and was shocked by a 1,300 Baht a night room charge which is up from 700, a more reasonable price for what they offer.

What kinds of places are family friendly and available for under a 1,000 Baht? Any ideas are welcome.

Nasa Vegas under 1000b never had a problem with this hotel , At the bottom of Ramkhamheang Road , not far from Sukhumvit

Very few Thais would appreciate the kind of language you use in this post. I wonder if that's why the manager didn't respect you?

Very few Thais would appreciate the kind of language you use in this post. I wonder if that's why the manager didn't respect you?

:o

Am I supposed to comment on this remark? Maybe very few Thais know what the helll I'm ever talking about anyway?

Bangkok City Suite Hotel is great, 850 Bath, every thing is good there,

Nasa Vegas under 1000b never had a problem with this hotel , At the bottom of Ramkhamheang Road , not far from Sukhumvit

certainly not a "family friendly" place (well, maybe in terms of "creating a family in 9 months from now"), cause that place with it's many hundred rooms is probably the biggest "rooms by the hour" establishment in the entire kingdom. scores of young Thai couples with no private space are using it.

having said that, the rooms are pretty much ok and good value for 690 a night (or 850 for the slightly bigger deluxe).

the serviced apartment seems to be good value too, particularly when the airport express train will start operating, as it has a station just next to the hotel.

2 years ago I left my house-keys inside the house and locked myself out, so I had to stay somewhere else for a night, and the NasaVegas was good for that. You immidiately get a "member card", so you can check in more discreetly the next time you want to make use of its premises :o

How do you check in more discreetly? They let you in the back door?

Yes NASA Vegas is not family friendly, really, and it's not clean.

Admittedly I've stayed there many, many times as I had friends nearby and was never aware you could rent a room by the hour.

Edited by Jimjim

METRO POINT BANGKOK ,brand new hotel only opened late december 08 ..www.metropointbangkok.com

prices start from 690 baht and if you stay 5 nights after that you get 50 % discount within 3 month period. spotless clean and good food.

another one: the ALL SEASONS at Hua Mark (Ramkamhaeng Road). it is the former IBIS Hotel and offers rates as low as 870 a night, INCLUDING breakfast. (from the ACCOR HOTELS website)

is it family friendly ?

well, at least it DOES HAVE a (small) Pool.

and it is right next to THE MALL 3, which means, shopping and eating options abound.

it is as well very close to the Khlong Saensaeb Commuter-Boat-Service, so u can be at Central world within less than 20 Minutes (though I wouldn't recommend this kind of transport for a family - can be quite dangerous for smaller kids)

about the mentioned "Metropointbangkok":

I have seen their website before and thought it's a good deal, but was surprised when I saw the rates start at 1.900 THB !

even if they are willing to give a room for 690 THB, not many people will realize that, as they are being scared away by the stated rates on their website. bad marketing, me thinks......

The rooms on the ground floor of the Federal Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 are B 1050. Family friendly place with a pool and great restaurant. Tel: 02 651-0422-6 e-mail: [email protected]

Two problems with the "Club Fed". All the rooms on the south side of the building (the left hand side as you enter the pool area from the lobby) have an interior adjoining room door that is so thin you can hear every word spoken in the adjoining room, even when talking in a normal voice. You can hear the TV in the next room too even when it's not turned up loud. If you have a neighbor who is a late-nighter you will find it very difficult to get a good night's sleep. There is a 3rd floor on the back (west) side of the building where the rooms don't have these interior doors so they IMHO are better even though most don't have the nice view of the tree lined pool area.

Also, right now there is a high-rise condo being built directly next to the Federal, it's almost finished but because construction noise continues 24 hours a day in Bangkok I would wait until it is 100% complete before considering staying at the there again. I'm guessing it should be about 6 more months for all the work to be done.

Sam's Lodge on Sukhumvit 19 (Asoke) is pretty cheap, accomodations are OK, free in room internet, and the new owner (just changed 2 months ago) is very friendly.

Very few of the rooms at Sam's Lodge have any window at all. Those few rooms that do, have only 1 tiny window. The rooms are clean and cheap, but it's only for those who don't mind dark rooms with artificial light.

The rooms on the ground floor of the Federal Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 11 are B 1050. Family friendly place with a pool and great restaurant. Tel: 02 651-0422-6 e-mail: [email protected]

Do they still flood in the rainy season?

I stayed there on and off for years and never saw those rooms flood in the rainy season. The street in front would sometimes flood (and recede after a few hours) but I never saw the water get inside the hotel rooms as Loney Planet has claimed in their very outdated review.

My post is not based on a Lonely Planet review.

I used to stay there on visits in the late 80's early 90's and the rooms were always cheaper than the others and the reason given by the staff was flooding problems.

They always smelled musty also due to the damp.

There is of course the venerable Crown Hotel located 50 m up Soi 29 Sukhumwit (directly across from Soi 22). This is the "original" Crown Hotel and is not related to the Sukumwit Crown Hotel. I would not class this place as "family friendly", perhaps adventurous family friendly would be a better term. It has quite a history as it was a 1960's R & R hotel that played host to many American GI's, and at one time had enlisted men billeted there in tents in the center area that now holds the pool.

Cheap, convenient and what I would call safe. If you must have your ass kissed, are scared of an occasional cockroach and are shocked, shocked to find that prostitution is going on in Bangkok, then do give this place a skip.

The truth: it is a fantastic value for only 620 baht per night including AC, private bath with HW and large bathtub, TV (8 channels and some rooms poor reception). Go somewhere else for internet access (no wifi). No refrigerator or mini-bar (7-11 is directly across Sukhumwit and Friday and Saturday night boasts excellent food vendors there also). Some rooms are somewhat gloomier than others, about 10 have balconies that face east, the aircon is rationed in that you have 2 choices on or off at a minimum 22 or 23 degrees C (72 - 73 F) and turned off when you leave the room. There is a pool that is sometimes more green than I would care to jump into, other times it is crystal clear. I have never ever encountered bed bugs here and probably have stayed here more than a hundred nights over the past 30 years.

It is located in between Asoke (Soi 21)and Phrom Pong Station (Soi 33) on the Sukhumwit skytrain line.

There are "short time" rooms on the first floor that rent for the hour and have curtains they wrap around the car while the patrons are inside doing what it is that short timers do. This is primarily for the Thai market... The regular 24 rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floors, no elevator -stairs only and about 60 total rooms I think.

They don't have a website - they don't do e-mail. I have known the head desk clerk Daeng for nearly 30 years and call ahead to make sure I have a room in the busy season if I am arriving late. In 1982 it was 180 baht per night when the fx rate was 22.9 to the dollar. DO the math: $8 USD then and only $17 now!!!

Given the economic pressure on development in this area, it is just a matter of time before this grand old dame of Bangkok Vietnam era hotels meets the wrecking ball. Don't miss the opportunity to spend a couple of nights there while it is still in existence. Lots of history here and the Crown Hotel is featured in several novels on Bangkok life.

One of a kind for sure... :o

Edited by Katmanpu

There is of course the venerable Crown Hotel located 50 m up Soi 29 Sukhumwit (directly across from Soi 22). This is the "original" Crown Hotel and is not related to the Sukumwit Crown Hotel. I would not class this place as "family friendly", perhaps adventurous family friendly would be a better term. It has quite a history as it was a 1960's R & R hotel thaat played host to many American GI's, and at one time had enlisted men billeted there in tents in the center area that now holds the pool.

Cheap, convenient and what I would call safe. If you must have your ass kissed, are scared of an occasional cockroach and are shocked, shocked to find that prostitution is going on in Bangkok, then do give this place a skip.

The truth: it is a fantastic value for only 620 baht per night including AC, private bath with HW and large bathtub, TV (8 channels and some rooms poor reception). Go somewhere else for internet access (no wifi). No refrigerator or mini-bar (7-11 is directly across Sukhumwit and Friday and Saturday night boasts excellent food vendors there also). Some rooms are somewhat gloomier than others, about 10 have balconies that face east, the aircon is rationed in that you have have 2 choices on or off at a max 22 or 23 degrees C (72 - 73 F) and turned off when you leave the room. There is a pool that is sometimes more green than I would care to jump into, other times it is crystal clear. I have never ever encountered bed bugs here and probably have stayed here more than a hundred nights over the past 30 years.

It is located in between Asoke (Soi 21)and Phrom Pong Station (Soi 33) on the Sukhumwit skytrain line.

There are "short time" rooms on the first floor that rent for the hour and have curtains they wrap around the car while the patrons are inside doing what it is that short timers do. This is primarily for the Thai market... The regular 24 rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floors, no elevator -stairs only and about 60 total rooms I think.

They don't have a website - they don't do e-mail. I have known the head desk clerk Daeng for nearly 30 years and call ahead to make sure I have a room in the busy season if I am arriving late. In 1982 it was 180 baht per night when the fx rate was 22.9 to the dollar. DO the math: $8 USD then and only $17 now!!!

Given the economic pressure on development in this area, it is just a matter of time before this grand old dame of Bangkok Vietnam era hotels meets the wrecking ball. Don't miss the opportunity to spend a couple of nights there while it is still in existence. Lots of history here and the Crown Hotel is featured in several novels on Bangkok life.

Place is total dump.

There is of course the venerable Crown Hotel located 50 m up Soi 29 Sukhumwit (directly across from Soi 22). This is the "original" Crown Hotel and is not related to the Sukumwit Crown Hotel. I would not class this place as "family friendly", perhaps adventurous family friendly would be a better term. It has quite a history as it was a 1960's R & R hotel thaat played host to many American GI's, and at one time had enlisted men billeted there in tents in the center area that now holds the pool.

The truth: it is a fantastic value for only 620 baht per night including AC, private bath with HW and large bathtub, TV (8 channels and some rooms poor reception). Go somewhere else for internet access (no wifi). No refrigerator or mini-bar (7-11 is directly across Sukhumwit and Friday and Saturday night boasts excellent food vendors there also). Some rooms are somewhat gloomier than others, about 10 have balconies that face east, the aircon is rationed in that you have have 2 choices on or off at a max 22 or 23 degrees C (72 - 73 F) and turned off when you leave the room. There is a pool that is sometimes more green than I would care to jump into, other times it is crystal clear. I have never ever encountered bed bugs here and probably have stayed here more than a hundred nights over the past 30 years.

Place is total dump.

Yes, but its a loveable dump. The review clearly implies it's not for everyone... Travel without some adventure is not travel in the sense of discovery. Caveat emptor. Here's looking at your kwayteeow, kid…

There is of course the venerable Crown Hotel located 50 m up Soi 29 Sukhumwit (directly across from Soi 22). This is the "original" Crown Hotel and is not related to the Sukumwit Crown Hotel. I would not class this place as "family friendly", perhaps adventurous family friendly would be a better term. It has quite a history as it was a 1960's R & R hotel that played host to many American GI's, and at one time had enlisted men billeted there in tents in the center area that now holds the pool.

The truth: it is a fantastic value for only 620 baht per night including AC, private bath with HW and large bathtub, TV (8 channels and some rooms poor reception). Go somewhere else for internet access (no wifi). No refrigerator or mini-bar (7-11 is directly across Sukhumwit and Friday and Saturday night boasts excellent food vendors there also). Some rooms are somewhat gloomier than others, about 10 have balconies that face east, the aircon is rationed in that you have 2 choices on or off at a minimum 22 or 23 degrees C (72 - 73 F) and turned off when you leave the room. There is a pool that is sometimes more green than I would care to jump into, other times it is crystal clear. I have never ever encountered bed bugs here and probably have stayed here more than a hundred nights over the past 30 years.

I have stayed at both Crown's, and I think they are owned by the same person. Years ago while staying at the Crown, soi 8, I asked about a swimming pool in the area and was told I could use the pool at the other Crown Hotel on soi 29 as it was the same owner.

Bangkok City Suite Hotel is great, 850 Bath, every thing is good there,

This is the correct answer

Another vote for Bangkok City Suite 900 per night 2 people Inc B/feast & 1/2 hr Internet.

Free Wi/fi access

Location not the best if you want to go walk - about. Plenty of taxis passing for trips into the centre

Have stayed there 5 or 6 times No Complaints

Good Clean Budget Hotel