How Much Is A Khmer Visa?

A collegue did his 3 monthly visa run through the Chong Chom border recently. At the Khmer Immigration, he was asked to pay Bht 1,200.00 for his Khmer visa. He explained that the visa cost was supposed to be US$ 20.00 which amounted to little more than Bht 800.00. He offered them US$ 20.00 (in US$ notes) but they refused to accept it and endeavoured to pursuade him to pay the Bht 1,200.00. Eventually, he gave up and returned into Thailand having not entered Kampuchia. There was no problem at Thai Immigration with this.

Is anyone aware of the actual true cost of a Khmer visa and on which currency it is based?

$20 US is the correct consular fee for a Cambodian 30 day visa. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VISA REQUIREMENTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Consular Section of the Royal Embassy of Cambodia needs the following items for visa issuance:

Three visa applications

Three current photos

$20 consular fee

Passport of applicant (valid at least six months at the time of the first entry to the Kingdom of Cambodia)

Three business days to process the visa

A tourist visa is normally isssued for a single entry for a duration of 30 days stay in the Kingdom of Cambodia. The validity of the visa will depend on the anticipated date of entry into the country, as indicated on the visa application.

For applicants who request the return of the passport by mail, a self-addressed, stamped envelope should be included. Applicants may include a pre-paid airbill, voucher, or mailer with the application, if they wish the Consular Section to use an expedited means of return, such as UPS or FedEx.

For applicants in the United States who request the return of the passport by expedited means and do not include a pre-paid voucher, the Embassy will use the services of UPS for an additional charge of $20. For the return of the passport outside the United States, the charge will depend on the country.

For the consular fee or for UPS charges, a Money Order or a Company Check should be enclosed, payable to The Royal Embassy of Cambodia (Consular Section). No Personal Check will be accepted.

The Consular Section stands ready to provide visitors to The Kingdom of Cambodia with travel information. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

E-mail: [email protected]

Edited by thaiflyer1

There was no problem at Thai Immigration with this.

Is anyone aware of the actual true cost of a Khmer visa and on which currency it is based?

Were the Thai immigration aware that he didn't actually enter Cambodia?

They may have assumed that he had entered and left Cambodia and not bothered to look for the stamps and visa.

I just come back from the Pong Nam Ron crossing and they wanted 1,100baht for visa and 200baht for doing a one day border hop. The on-the-spot visa didn't have an entry on it where it said 'Fee'. (I wonder why :o)

Robbin' Twatstards they are. But TIS.(This is South Est Asia) :D:D

Were the Thai immigration aware that he didn't actually enter Cambodia?

They may have assumed that he had entered and left Cambodia and not bothered to look for the stamps and visa.

Robbin' Twatstards they are. But TIS.(This is South Est Asia) :D  :o

Not sure, but I guess he didn't voluteer the information.

There was a scam a while ago where the Thai immigration would complete your exit stamp and re-entry stamp for Bht 1,000.00 without you even having to leave Thailand! I think that's been "discouraged" now.

A collegue did his 3 monthly visa run through the Chong Chom border recently. At the Khmer Immigration, he was asked to pay Bht 1,200.00 for his Khmer visa. He explained that the visa cost was supposed to be US$ 20.00 which amounted to little more than Bht 800.00. He offered them US$ 20.00 (in US$ notes) but they refused to accept it and endeavoured to pursuade him to pay the Bht 1,200.00. Eventually, he gave up and returned into Thailand having not entered Kampuchia. There was no problem at Thai Immigration with this.

Jay, if convenient, buy your visa at the Cambo Consulate in BKK for $20 only.

It pisses off the corrupt Cambo officials at the borders, but they will say nothing except bite their lips until thay bleed :o:D:D

Edited by udon

Jay, if convenient, buy your visa at the Cambo Consulate in BKK for $20 only.

It pisses off the corrupt Cambo officials at the borders, but they will say nothing except bite their lips until thay bleed  :o  :D  :D

It's not my problem, udon; I'm on a retirement visa so don't need to leave at all.

However, for Surin dwellers, actually going to Bangkok specifically for a Khmer visa would not be cost effective. And obtaining by post is fraught with potential problems and delays. So I guess it's time for the border hoppers to bite the bullet (whether their lips bleed or not! :D )

Do you happen to know if your friend received a NEW 30 day stamp (or whatever stamp he had) when he returned to Thailand? Also, I'm assuming he did get stamped out of Thailand when you left the Thai border, yes?

He was stamped out of Thailand. Then went to Khmer Immigration where he abortively attempted to pay the US$ 20.00 visa fee. Returning to Thai Immigration he obtained his 60 day permit; no questions asked.

In conclusion, the Khmers lost US$ 20.00. However, I'm sure they made up the loss with the next farang border hopper.

I'm in north BKK and I don't mind too much the fee of 1,100B for the visa 'cos it saves me the hassle (paperwork, travel, money) of going to and fro the emb.

But, with the added 200b for doing a quick hop, it does seem too bloody cheeky and greedy to me.

I too thought of the possibility of paying perhaps 500b to the Thai imm to stamp me in and out but, I prefer to do things legally.

It would surely make the Cambo imm think about reducing their fees if they knew they were losing too many 'customers' because of their greed. :o

The Cambo embassy in Bangkok charges $20 or 1000B.

I wouldnt pay more than 1000B - if I had the chance I wouldnt pay more than 800B but.... Been told the best way round it is, just be polite and firm, offer 1000B and if that doesnt work ask for a receipt and or the officers badge number .

The Cambo embassy in Bangkok charges $20 or 1000B.

I wouldnt pay more than 1000B - if I had the chance I wouldnt pay more than 800B but....  Been told the best way round it is, just be polite and firm, offer 1000B and if that doesnt work ask for a receipt and or the officers badge number .

Being polite or firm probably won't do much good. As with Burma, the 'tea money' is logged into a book. Presumably the officials higher up will tally the transit cards with the days 'tea donations'. Anything amiss might have repercussions for those responsible for the collection of the funds.

I showed resentment (just huffing and tutting and asking why the difference in costs) to the Cambo officials at having to pay extra for the visa and the 200baht quick turnaround fee. That's about as far as I'm prepared to go.

Anything more could lead to a slanging match if I was to be dealing with an official who had gotten up on the wrong side of the bed that particular morning.

When you're in no-man's land, the ball is in their court, so to speak.