Buddhist Tattoos

zenbangkok

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has a Buddhist tatoo on her back, a very recent and very expensive one.

But I won't show any picture yet.

Is this one a Buddhist tatoo? :)

We can't really see what it is.

How do you define "Buddhist tattoo"?

Angelina Jolie has a Bengal Tiger on her lower back, done by a Thai in the traditional Thai way and while chanting an ancient hymn. But is it a "Buddhist tattoo"?

angelina-jolie-tiger.jpg

Bina, nowadays many Thai women get tattooed with ink. Last weekend I attended the annual wai khru at Wat Bang Phra, where I saw a few dozen Thai women getting sak yan, and saw hundreds more wearing them. I even saw a few women go into trance although it's not usual as most women get mahasaneh (romantice/sexual charisma) sak yan or metta (loving kindess) sak yan rather than amnat (power), the latter being the type that usually results in trance.

Sak yan may be animist in origin but they are created and respected as part of the Thai Buddhist tradition by many Thais. Most luuk sit (disciples) of the great ajahn sak yan are taught that the sacred designs only work if you practice Buddhism, ie follow the five precepts and pay regular homage to the dhamma taught by your tattoo preceptor.

While many 'secular Buddhists' dismiss sak yan as voodoo, there is a range of beliefs as to their power. It's a lot like for wearing a phra khreuang or amulet, ie some people see them as as reminder to be a good person. The most common expression I hear from those in the sak yan culture is that 'the tattoos only protect me if I'm a good person, so they remind me to be a good person.' Or that the sak yan are a medium for intervention by their tattoo master, who looks after them.

Ajahn Noo Kanpai did Jolie's sak yan - the five rows and the tiger - so she is now his disciple. Theoretically she needs to wai khru annually (even if from afar) to maintain the tattoos' power, not to mention keeping the five precepts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello all, I will be in Pattaya next month. I was wondering is there any master around that city?

fabianfred - How did you get there from BKK?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

I live up here in the far North... there should be map data for the Flickr pics.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I apologise if this is an inappropriate place for this, but I've been reading through this thread, and thought someone may be able to help. So, I recently spent several months volunteering in Cambodia, and of course, fell in love with the country. I know this is all very cliche, but I've since began learning about Buddhism, after my experiences in the country. I've started reading up on the sak yant tattooes, which is definitely something I feel drawn to and would like in the future at some point... I was wondering if anyone was aware of a temple that did these in Cambodia or a tattoo artist with such experience? Is there even a difference between one that is be received in Thailand or Cambodia? I'm not quite sure where to even begin in my research. All I know is that I feel a great connection to Cambodia, the people, and particularly the religion. I'd like to... commemorate? That isn't exactly the right word, but the time I spent there was very special to me and personally, I have developed and so on.

Any way, if anyone could help in the slightest way, that would be greatly appreciated! I know I may sound ignorant, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

There are almost no tattoo masters practising in Cambodia these days. One lives in Battambang and travels to Phnom Penh once in awhile. The other is Daren, who lives in Siem Reap on a lane a few blocks behind Wat Tmei.

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I apologise if this is an inappropriate place for this, but I've been reading through this thread, and thought someone may be able to help. So, I recently spent several months volunteering in Cambodia, and of course, fell in love with the country. I know this is all very cliche, but I've since began learning about Buddhism, after my experiences in the country. I've started reading up on the sak yant tattooes, which is definitely something I feel drawn to and would like in the future at some point... I was wondering if anyone was aware of a temple that did these in Cambodia or a tattoo artist with such experience? Is there even a difference between one that is be received in Thailand or Cambodia? I'm not quite sure where to even begin in my research. All I know is that I feel a great connection to Cambodia, the people, and particularly the religion. I'd like to... commemorate? That isn't exactly the right word, but the time I spent there was very special to me and personally, I have developed and so on.

Any way, if anyone could help in the slightest way, that would be greatly appreciated! I know I may sound ignorant, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

i traveld all over south east asia and still go the every year and myself have sak yant tattoos and got them set by up north of thailand by a bussist monk and in a place not so far from pattaya by master Archan anek . I dont know if its allowed to post link but will do it anyway http://www.poodumtattoo.com/about/.

all sak yant come from the original khmer and are the same in Cambodia and Thailand true the ages buddism got mixxed in with khmer witchcraft believes , in general sak yant are for protection but last few year they have become to many (non- believers) more a fashion thing (look @ Angelina Jolie)

Still lots of Cambodian ,Thai people still believe in the power of these tattoos a good example is the thai boxers who most of the time will have them to get speed and strenght from the prayers on the tattoos

there used to be a monk in Temple who do sak Yant (Wat Preah Prom Rath Temple) in Sien Reap but dont know if the monk is still there its about 5-6 years ago now , but i would just go to a temple it dont matter where or what temple and talk with the abt (head monk) where you can find someone who can help you with your search. they will know where to send you

i hope that this helps you along

cheers :D

yeah it's something to do with protection

....i read an article in the bangkok post (maybe aug/oct)

in the article it was explaining about some peoples beliefs/superstitions- mainly that of the boys in brown.

There was a temple in question where a monk wouold tatoo the officers as a sign of protection then say aprayer/blessing and seal the whole episode with a swift hard kick to the police officers leg..

The story continued.... in the past, officers who had visited the temple and had the tatoo etc and had then been shot/stabbed etc....... had make a full recovery :o

the article then told how after word had spread that there were now ques at the temple for tatoo's :D

Thai's are very touchy when it comes to ghosts and spirits. They are firm believers in such. This idea of getting a tattoo to protect a person started a long, long time ago. Many temples now have a monk who will tattoo a person if asked. Do these tattoo's work.. Who knows. You hear lots of story's. I'm told storys all the time by monks who have tattoo's. So my theory is, so what. If someone points a gun at you and pulls the trigger, chances are your going to bet shot. I have several tattoo's, but please don't point a gun at me and pull the trigger, I really don't want to test the power of these tattoo's, thank you. :unsure:

p.s. Angelina Jolie got her tattoo from probably the most famous Sak Yant artist in Thailand. Ajahn Noo Gunpai.. (excuse the spelling)

Edited by khaowong1

I go a little bit stronger.

I had just a conversation with the local director of the Health Station. He has the latest statistics about HIV and Hepatitis. Tattoo is now one of the main factors for the growing up of these diseases, specially in areas where tattoos are practised in Bhuddist wats.

One step more>

For me a Buddhist Tattoo Master stops to be Buddhist. He works in the Tradition of animism-shamanism, the basic religion of mankind. No problem.

In the Teaching of the Buddha the mind and body are dhammas,

Three conditions of taking intoxicant

1. It is intoxicant.

2. There must be an intention to consume.

3. It is consumed.

If these conditions are fulfilled, the fifth precept is violated. However, taking intoxicant for medical purpose does not violate this precept.

---------------------

Tattoos (peircing and so on) are intoxicants for the body. Why do you want to but needles and ink in the thammachaat of your body? To feel the magic power?

To have a shorter way to awakening?

Everyone can do, everyone is free to mutilate himself.

I had just a conversation with the local director of the Health Station. He has the latest statistics about HIV and Hepatitis. Tattoo is now one of the main factors for the growing up of these diseases, specially in areas where tattoos are practised in Bhuddist wats.

Which 'health station'? Because as far as I know there isn't a single documented case of either hepatitis or HIV in a patient who has received sak yan.

I agree with the rest of your reasoning. Like much in Thai Buddhism, sak yan has its roots in animism. But it is more than that, an the culture of sak yan also involves moral codes (keeping of the precepts and more) and the teaching of Buddhist virtues.

Also, most sak yan masters in Thailand are not monks.

Which 'health station'? Because as far as I know there isn't a single documented case of either hepatitis or HIV in a patient who has received sak yan.

I agree with the rest of your reasoning. Like much in Thai Buddhism, sak yan has its roots in animism. But it is more than that, an the culture of sak yan also involves moral codes (keeping of the precepts and more) and the teaching of Buddhist virtues.

Also, most sak yan masters in Thailand are not monks.

No, it is not a general statistic from high (government), it's an inofficial statistic from a network of local health stations with engaged leaders. They had all their MA diploma for Public Health given by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

Their are connected to the foundation of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. In TAK province we have the highest density of health stations in Thailand, thanks to this foundation and some Dem MPs.

------

A friend of mine has two tattoos. He asked me before.

Where? Clean needles?

- Outside upperarms. One way needles.

O.K. no critical acupuncture lines.

What symbol?

- In Burmese letters on one side: Vou never can give back what your mother gave you. ---------(life)

On the other side: You never can give back what your father gave you. ------------------------- (life)

A good tattoo.

In ancient times the ink for tattoos was made by plants. The luminance faded, absorbed by the body, natural process. The modern inks are chemically produced, carcinogenic.

The wonderful blue ceramics of Thailand has been longtime rejected for import to EU. They were not acid-resistant (vinegar) and the Blue-Cobalt is a poison.

The traditional way to make ink is from candle soot or charcoal powder, mixed with sesame or coconut oil. Some masters still make their own ink that way. Plants and herbs, including waan, a powerful natural antiseptic, are usually added even when commercial inks are the main base.

No clinic or health agency anywhere in the world, government-sponsored or private, has published a single case of chronic infection by hepatitis or HIV traceable to either a traditional sak yan or to any machine tattoo.

One wonders what methodology the health clinics you mentioned used to carry out studies that determined the cause of infection in the cases they cited be be a traditional tattoo session.

In Thailand anecdotal evidence indicates that infections of any kind, even temporary bacterial ones, are rare, despite the fact that relatively little sterilisation is used before, during or after applying sak yan in the traditional manner.

Sak yan masters soak their needles in alcohol or bleach between clients, both agents sufficient to kill the infections you referred to. The typical skin penetration for sak yan is noticeably less extensive than for machine tattoos, hence there is little or no contact with blood. This theoretically makes the potential risk of infection lower for sak yan than for machine tattoos, whatever the level of hygiene might be.

The wonderful blue ceramics of Thailand has been longtime rejected for import to EU. They were not acid-resistant (vinegar) and the Blue-Cobalt is a poison.

Luckily none of the ingredients used in ceramics is used for Thai tattoos.

The traditional way to make ink is from candle soot or charcoal powder, mixed with sesame or coconut oil. Some masters still make their own ink that way. Plants and herbs, including waan, a powerful natural antiseptic, are usually added even when commercial inks are the main base.

No clinic or health agency anywhere in the world, government-sponsored or private, has published a single case of chronic infection by hepatitis or HIV traceable to either a traditional sak yan or to any machine tattoo.

One wonders what methodology the health clinics you mentioned used to carry out studies that determined the cause of infection in the cases they cited be be a traditional tattoo session.

In Thailand anecdotal evidence indicates that infections of any kind, even temporary bacterial ones, are rare, despite the fact that relatively little sterilisation is used before, during or after applying sak yan in the traditional manner.

Sak yan masters soak their needles in alcohol or bleach between clients, both agents sufficient to kill the infections you referred to. The typical skin penetration for sak yan is noticeably less extensive than for machine tattoos, hence there is little or no contact with blood. This theoretically makes the potential risk of infection lower for sak yan than for machine tattoos, whatever the level of hygiene might be.

-

Luckily none of the ingredients used in ceramics is used for Thai tattoos.

Thank you for the information. I will ask back.

Sak yan masters soak their needles in alcohol or bleach between clients, both agents sufficient to kill the infections you referred to.

May be for Sak yan masters, not for acupuncture, international standard is one sterilized needle for one point.

When I put a needle, I take the needle out of the plastic box. I only touch the head of the needle, if I touch the part of the needle to go in the skin, the needle is dead, I take a new one.

• 4 weeks later...

have you tried looking on the website about sak yant in english?

there is an ebook there for sale but is not printed. Its probably the one that has most info till now.

The author is a very close friend of mine actually.

I am surprised that sabaijai doesnt know about it as he knows that website very well.

Edited by thailandfaq

have you tried looking on the website about sak yant in english?

there is an ebook there for sale but is not printed. Its probably the one that has most info till now.

The author is a very close friend of mine actually.

I am surprised that sabaijai doesnt know about it as he knows that website very well.

oh dear silly me i just realized how old this post is.. there were no books in english about sak yant back in 2006 (as far as i know) apart from the ones Sabaijai mentions

• 2 months later...

Thailand seeks to ban tourists' Buddha tattoos

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's Culture Ministry says foreign tourists should be barred from getting Buddhist tattoos while visiting because the practice is culturally insensitive.

Culture Minister Niphit Intharasombat said in a statement that his ministry has been receiving complaints from residents that tattoo parlors are etching sacred images of Buddha and other religious images onto the skin of non-Buddhist visitors across the country.

"Foreigners see these tattoos as a fashion," Niphit said in the statement posted on his ministry's website Thursday. "They do not think of respecting religion, or they may not be aware" that it can be offensive.

Thailand is mostly Buddhist, and Buddha statues and images here are considered sacred objects of worship. Millions of foreigners visit the Southeast Asian nation annually.

Niphit said his ministry had called on tattoo parlors nationwide to halt the activity. According to the country's government news agency, NNT, he also asked provincial governors to "inspect tattoo studios and seek their cooperation."

NNT also reported that Niphit is pushing for a law banning the practice.

However, Ladda Thangsupachai, director of the ministry's Cultural Surveillance Center, said Thursday that tattooing religious images is not yet illegal under Thai law.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody.

I am new in here, I have little with time so I will pos more later.

But could someone please help me with a good place to get a Sak Yant in Surin ( สุรินทร์ ) .

I am going back on Friday and only staying for 7 days, so I would really appreciate all the help I can get right now!?

• 4 months later...